large file

  • Robin Daniel Z. Rivera
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2005
      Hello. My wife and I are Phd Students, and all our files are in
      WordPerfect for Windows 10. I just got an iBook, and put in NeoOffice
      1.2 alpha as my officce suite. Small WP files open easily. But I tried
      to open my wife's complete version of her dissertation draft, a 1.7 mb
      file, and it would not open in NeoOffice. It's as if nothing happens,
      no harddisk activity, no UI feedback, nothing. Is there a way to get it to
      open?

      Thanks in advance
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2005
        What's the content of the Ph.D: graphics, tables?. I write academic
        texts, but I always divide it up into chapters. It just opened a
        400kb WP Mac 3.5e file with 548 footnotes with no problem.

        Have you tried opening it in WP Mac 3.5e (having applied the relevant
        conversion droplets available from Files, here?

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2005
          I should have added that with such a large file that is so important,
          it's best to open a copy rather than the original, either on the Mac
          or in Windows, because of the danger of file corruption.

          Geoff

          >Hello. My wife and I are Phd Students, and all our files are in
          >WordPerfect for Windows 10. I just got an iBook, and put in NeoOffice
          >1.2 alpha as my officce suite. Small WP files open easily. But I tried
          >to open my wife's complete version of her dissertation draft, a 1.7 mb
          >file, and it would not open in NeoOffice. It's as if nothing happens,
          >no harddisk activity, no UI feedback, nothing. Is there a way to get it to
          >open?
          >
          >Thanks in advance
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rick Albright
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 18, 2005
            I would also suggest you try the conversion droplets; or,
            alternatively, going into WP for Windows and saving as WordPerfect 6,
            7, or 8, as WP Mac opens the 6, 7, 8 format (that's apparently the way
            it comes up on the save as dialog in WP Mac) okay.

            Though I haven't personally used the product, the designator NeoOffice
            1.2 alpha sounds like an alpha version. I'd be very wary of using alpha
            or beta versions (beta versions are usually tested more than alphas,
            but are probably still buggy) of software for anything that really
            counts. Some users will not even install or run alpha or beta software
            on their systems, as in some instances, they can do more harm to a
            system than just to individual files. Beyond that, I've never been a
            big fan of converting files from one word processor with a second one
            to use on a third. Every conversion process can introduce variables,
            especially if you're mixing different software vendors. So by that
            logic, I think the conversion droplets should be the most reliable,
            especially since those of us on the list know John Rethorst's work to
            be excellent.

            Rick Albright

            On Dec 16, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Robin Daniel Z. Rivera wrote:

            > Hello. My wife and I are Phd Students, and all our files are in
            > WordPerfect for Windows 10. I just got an iBook, and put in NeoOffice
            > 1.2 alpha as my officce suite. Small WP files open easily. But I tried
            > to open my wife's complete version of her dissertation draft, a 1.7 mb
            > file, and it would not open in NeoOffice. It's as if nothing happens,
            > no harddisk activity, no UI feedback, nothing. Is there a way to get
            > it to
            > open?
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            >

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > ▪  Visit your group "wordperfectmac" on the web.

            > Service.

          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2005
              On Dec 18, 2005, at 1:34 AM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

              > What's the content of the Ph.D: graphics, tables?. I write academic
              > texts, but I always divide it up into chapters. It just opened a
              > 400kb WP Mac 3.5e file with 548 footnotes with no problem.

              As a PS to my other post, I, too, like to work with such texts in
              chapter form. I did my own dissertation (in WP Mac) that way, and just
              pulled together the individual chapters at the end. The smaller files
              were easier to work with and quicker to load, and less prone to
              document errors. (I could've even left them as individual chapters, and
              just changed the starting page and endnote numbers as I went along, but
              this was too much trouble.) I did save a copy of my final version in
              Acrobat (pdf) format, though, which was handy whenever I just wanted to
              bring it up to look for something (but not edit it directly), and this
              had the added advantage of being accessible on virtually all computers.

              Rick Albright
            • Smokey Ardisson
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 18, 2005
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Daniel Z. Rivera" <makinao@g...> wrote:

                > Hello. My wife and I are Phd Students, and all our files are in
                > WordPerfect for Windows 10. I just got an iBook, and put in NeoOffice
                > 1.2 alpha as my officce suite. Small WP files open easily. But I tried
                > to open my wife's complete version of her dissertation draft, a 1.7 mb
                > file, and it would not open in NeoOffice. It's as if nothing happens,
                > no harddisk activity, no UI feedback, nothing.

                Very odd. I've never seen or heard of that happening before, but the largest files I've ever thrown at that particular conversion are a 700-some KB WP-Mac document (large mostly because of two images) and a 200-some KB WP-Win 8/9 doc.

                > Is there a way to get it to open?

                As others have advised, WP-Mac should be able to open it, with the steps mentioned in the "Opening and Converting in WP Mac" document in the Conversions folder of this group's File's section.

                Since you were originally trying to open the file in NeoOffice, I'm curious what happens if you try to run the file through the wpd2sxw conversion program (and then, assuming a document was created, open the converted document in Neo). wpd2sxw and an AppleScript droplet (GUI) for it are available in this package: <http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/libwpd/libwpd-0.8.4.dmg?download>

                Smokey
                (by way of disclaimer: WP-Mac user, libwpd/wpd2sxw for Mac OS X packager, NeoOffice community member :-) )