[wpmac] Re: A classic Finder scripting question

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2005
      At 051205 23:06 +0000, John Rethorst wrote:

      >This works fine OMM with OS 10.4.3:
      >
      >set folder1 to (path to desktop as string) & "folder 1"
      >set folder2 to (path to desktop as string) & "folder 2"
      >tell application "Finder" to move every item of folder folder1 to
      >folder folder2

      Hmm... a good test, in that it quickly exposes a difference between

      OS 8.6, with AS 1.3.7 (where it works)
      and
      OS 7.6.1, with AS 1.1 (where it does not work)

      (Both use AppleScriptLib 1.2.2.) Unfortunately, both are target
      environments for this script, and it was while I was trying to fix a
      problem in a classroom running 7.6.1 that I ran into the problem
      which prompted this thread. Also unfortunately, 7.6.1 will not run
      AppleScript 1.3.7, so I may be stuck on this problem.

      >>[It's enough to make a body wish BATch or Rexx or some other less "friendly"
      >>scripting language were available under MacOS.]
      >
      >Or at least a better editor. Try the free "Smile" at:
      >
      >http://www.tucows.com/preview/207118
      >
      >I found the interface daunting at first, but it's very capable.

      It does look interesting in OS 8.6, but I found that I can't run it
      in the other environment 7.6.1, where I'm having trouble to trace
      (and work around) the problem that began this thread. Again, I may
      be stuck. But I want to thank you for - once again - a quick and
      informative reply.
      --
      John K
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@n...> wrote:

        > Hmm... a good test, in that it quickly exposes a difference between
        > OS 8.6, with AS 1.3.7 (where it works) and
        > OS 7.6.1, with AS 1.1 (where it does not work)
        >
        > (Both use AppleScriptLib 1.2.2.)

        OS 7.6.1 uses the Finder Scripting Extension. Is it present on your
        machine and active via Extensions Manager? If so, it may be corrupted;
        try a new copy from Apple. I just ran this script on a 7.6.1 machine,
        running it from Script Editor and as an applet; worked fine.