Converting from WP8 to WP Mac 3.5e

  • xmbwd
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
      Hi there. First post.

      My issue is that I have a bunch of files that were created on WP8 for
      PC (obviously). They reside on my mac (G4 Powerbook, 10.3.9) and are
      recognizeable as .wpd files (i.e., the OS sees them as WP and, if
      double clicked, will open WP).

      But when I open these files and WP3.5 uses its converter (WP 6.x - 8.x
      Import), the resulting file in WP3.5 is incomplete. That is, WP3.5
      opens a nicely translated document, with all fonts and formatting in
      place, but it abrubtly ends somewhere toward the end of the document.

      I know that there is more information in the translated file, because
      MacLinkPlus translates the entire file (though not as well as WP3.5).

      Anyone know how to fix this?

      I have:
      Downloaded/installed the WP3.5e version
      and the WP Updater for OS 8 and 9.

      Thanks.
    • J Busch
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
        XMBWD,
        Have you updated your conversions folder for WP Mac
        3.5e.
        If not you can download the updated conversion .sit
        file from the files/Conversions section of this group.
        If you need more instructions, reference the
        Conversions Guide.pdf found at:
        http://homepage.mac.com/eagle4031/FileSharing32.html

        If you have done this, I remember a similar post
        earlier this year but don't remember the solution. I
        will have to search the archives or maybe someelse can
        help. If the above doesn't work, let me know and I
        will see what else might be done.

        -Jonathan

        --- xmbwd <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Hi there. First post.
        >
        > My issue is that I have a bunch of files that were
        > created on WP8 for
        > PC (obviously). They reside on my mac (G4
        > Powerbook, 10.3.9) and are
        > recognizeable as .wpd files (i.e., the OS sees them
        > as WP and, if
        > double clicked, will open WP).
        >
        > But when I open these files and WP3.5 uses its
        > converter (WP 6.x - 8.x
        > Import), the resulting file in WP3.5 is incomplete.
        > That is, WP3.5
        > opens a nicely translated document, with all fonts
        > and formatting in
        > place, but it abrubtly ends somewhere toward the end
        > of the document.
        >
        > I know that there is more information in the
        > translated file, because
        > MacLinkPlus translates the entire file (though not
        > as well as WP3.5).
        >
        > Anyone know how to fix this?
        >
        > I have:
        > Downloaded/installed the WP3.5e version
        > and the WP Updater for OS 8 and 9.
        >
        > Thanks.

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • xmbwd
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
          Hi Jonathan. I neglected to mention in my initial post that I had
          downloaded those conversion files and added them to my WP folder.

          I hadn't tried the droplets, but using the "Drop WP6+ File to Open
          WPMac" didn't work: it opens the file in WPMac, says its importing a
          WP6/WP8 file, and the result ends abruptly toeards the end of the
          document.

          I did try to search for a solution, but maybe used the wrong terms.
          I couldn't find one.

          Any help is greatly appreciated.

          Thanks. - M.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
            M.

            I found this post:
            which states a similar problem to yours. One thing
            that you might try is increasing the memory for WP.
            First make sure to quit WP.

            To increase the memory, go to your Corel WP folder.
            Right click on the Corel Wordperfect program icon and
            select "Get Info". Or if you don't have a second
            button select the icon and press the cmd+i keys.
            Under the "Ownership & Permissions" section make sure
            you can read & write. If not you will have to login
            with an admin account to make the changes. Then under
            the "Memory" section increase minimum size to 10,000
            and maximum size to 20,000 kb. Close the Corel
            Wordperfect info window and try to open up your
            document. If the conversion process still ends, note
            if it is able to convert any more of the document than
            it did before. If so you can try increasing the
            memory even more.
            Hopefully this will work for you.

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com