Re: [wpmac] images jump around

  • C K Yap
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
      Today I tried cropping a very long image. Once it was
      smaller it didn't jump.

      I also discovered that you can't place a picture on a
      blank page. You have to hit 'return' until the page is
      filled with enough blank lines then the image stays put.

      Picture Viewer allows faster image inserting. The slow
      translator doesn't show up and I also don't get blank 'x'
      boxes. But it must be the Classic Picture Viewer.

      - C K Yap

      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, C K Yap <c_k_yap@s...> wrote:

        > Today I tried cropping a very long image. Once it was
        > smaller it didn't jump.
        >
        > I also discovered that you can't place a picture on a
        > blank page. You have to hit 'return' until the page is
        > filled with enough blank lines then the image stays put.

        I can't duplicate either of these, I can paste a graphic the
        size of a page, and I can paste a graphic onto an empty
        page, with no returns or anything else.

        John R.
      • Steve Kane
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
          On Nov 30, 2005, at 6:24 PM, C K Yap wrote:

          > I am able to insert one image without problems but the second one
          > seems to jump around and not go where I want to move it to.

          Maybe try this:

          Edit > Preferences

          Then click on Environment

          Then click on Graphics and select Anchor to Page
        • J Busch
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005
            Thanks for the tip, "anchor to page" seems to help a
            fair amount though dragging images around still gives
            me some hassle. The problem manifest itself when I
            try and move an image from the bottom of one page to
            the top of the next/last page. It simiply puts the
            image back to where I just drug it from. But if I cut
            the image and then put soft returns until the text
            goes to a new page and paste the image to the new page
            it works.

            It appears that when the picture tries to move it
            "cuts" the picture, text shifts up so that the last
            page is gone. It then "paste" the picture at the end
            of the document which shifts the text it replaced to a
            new page. There probably isn't a fix for this but a
            manual cut and paste works fine and I am sure I could
            write a WP script that would make the process easier
            to do.

            Also, I have had to increase the memory allocated to
            WP so that it can handle multiple image files without
            running out of memory. It seems to run out of memory
            quickly when dealing with images.

            -Jonathan

            --- Steve Kane <skane@...> wrote:

            > On Nov 30, 2005, at 6:24 PM, C K Yap wrote:
            >
            > > I am able to insert one image without problems but
            > the second one
            > > seems to jump around and not go where I want to
            > move it to.
            >
            > Maybe try this:
            >
            > Edit > Preferences
            >
            > Then click on Environment
            >
            > Then click on Graphics and select Anchor to Page

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005
              Jonathan

              I know that drag and drop is the easiest method of positioning, but
              if I know where I want a picture on the page, I use the
              Tools:Graphic:Options menu (nb. the graphic has to be selected.Then I
              place it precisely by reference to a page or paragraph).

              Geoff

              >Thanks for the tip, "anchor to page" seems to help a
              >fair amount though dragging images around still gives
              >me some hassle. The problem manifest itself when I
              >try and move an image from the bottom of one page to
              >the top of the next/last page. It simiply puts the
              >image back to where I just drug it from. But if I cut
              >the image and then put soft returns until the text
              >goes to a new page and paste the image to the new page
              >it works.
              >
              >It appears that when the picture tries to move it
              >"cuts" the picture, text shifts up so that the last
              >page is gone. It then "paste" the picture at the end
              >of the document which shifts the text it replaced to a
              >new page. There probably isn't a fix for this but a
              >manual cut and paste works fine and I am sure I could
              >write a WP script that would make the process easier
              >to do.
              >
              >Also, I have had to increase the memory allocated to
              >WP so that it can handle multiple image files without
              >running out of memory. It seems to run out of memory
              >quickly when dealing with images.
              >
              >-Jonathan
              >
              >--- Steve Kane <skane@...> wrote:
              >

              >> On Nov 30, 2005, at 6:24 PM, C K Yap wrote:
              >>
              >> > I am able to insert one image without problems but
              >> the second one
              >> > seems to jump around and not go where I want to
              >> move it to.
              >>
              >> Maybe try this:
              >>
              >> Edit > Preferences
              >>
              >> Then click on Environment
              >>
              >> Then click on Graphics and select Anchor to Page

            • Harald Sundt
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 2, 2006
                Product Description:
                NeoOffice is a fully-featured set of office applications (including
                word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing programs) for
                Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice
                incorporates dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and
                exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoft
                Office. Unlike the Mac OS X release of OpenOffice.org, NeoOffice does
                not require the X11 windowing system.

                Released as free, open-source software under the GNU General Public
                License (GPL), NeoOffice is fully functional and stable enough for
                everyday use. The software is actively developed, and updates and
                improvements are available on a regular basis.
                What's new in this version:
                * Better support for multiple monitors
                * Additional improvements in font handling and text layout
                * Significantly improved import of WordPerfect for
                Macintosh documents via libwpd-0.8.4
                * Fixes for many additional bugs reported against 1.2 Alpha
                * Requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later
                * For a more complete list of changes since NeoOffice/J
                1.1, see the release notes.
              • Smokey Ardisson
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 2, 2006
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Harald Sundt <h_sundt@p...> wrote:
                  > * Significantly improved import of WordPerfect for
                  > Macintosh documents via libwpd-0.8.4

                  I hear a new AbiWord stable release is due soon, but I don't know if it includes libwpd-0.8.4 or not....

                  Smokey
                • S Zaveloff
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Smokey Ardisson wrote:

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Harald Sundt <h_sundt@p...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> * Significantly improved import of WordPerfect for Macintosh documents via
                    >> libwpd-0.8.4
                    >

                    > There have been no *additional* improvements to the WP-Mac import since
                    > NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha with Patch-5 (roughly my post at
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/message/2333>), for the
                    > curious--but the app is now a Beta, for those who find Alpha milestones
                    > unpalatable :-)

                    Where did you find the Beta? When I looked at the site, all I saw
                    was the Alpha.

                    Steven H. Zaveloff zaveloff@...
                    P.O. Box 200203 Tel: (512)219-7142
                    Austin, Texas 78720-0203 Fax: (512)233-2770
                    http://home.earthlink.net/~zaveloff/

                    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
                    judged by the way its animals are treated." -Gandhi
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 3, 2006
                      Dear Steven

                      ftp://ftp.plusline.de/pub/NeoOffice/NeoOffice-1.2_Beta.dmg

                      Geoff
                      >Smokey Ardisson wrote:
                      >
                      >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Harald Sundt <h_sundt@p...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> * Significantly improved import of WordPerfect for Macintosh
                      >>>documents via
                      >>> libwpd-0.8.4
                      >>

                      >> There have been no *additional* improvements to the WP-Mac import since
                      >> NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha with Patch-5 (roughly my post at
                      >> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/message/2333>), for the
                      >> curious--but the app is now a Beta, for those who find Alpha milestones
                      >> unpalatable :-)
                      >>
                      >Where did you find the Beta? When I looked at the site, all I saw
                      >was the Alpha.
                      >
                      >--
                      >Steven H. Zaveloff zaveloff@...
                      >P.O. Box 200203 Tel: (512)219-7142
                      >Austin, Texas 78720-0203 Fax: (512)233-2770
                      > http://home.earthlink.net/~zaveloff/
                      >
                      > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
                      >judged by the way its animals are treated." -Gandhi
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Robert Marrott
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 3, 2006
                        My experience has been that NeoOffice does not print well. There are kerning
                        problems, letters ran together, etc.

                        RLM

                        On 1/2/06 12:40 PM, "Harald Sundt" <h_sundt@...> wrote:

                        > Product Description:
                        > NeoOffice is a fully-featured set of office applications (including
                        > word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing programs) for
                        > Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice
                        > incorporates dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and
                        > exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoft
                        > Office. Unlike the Mac OS X release of OpenOffice.org, NeoOffice does
                        > not require the X11 windowing system.
                        >
                        > Released as free, open-source software under the GNU General Public
                        > License (GPL), NeoOffice is fully functional and stable enough for
                        > everyday use. The software is actively developed, and updates and
                        > improvements are available on a regular basis.
                        > What's new in this version:
                        > * Better support for multiple monitors
                        > * Additional improvements in font handling and text layout
                        > * Significantly improved import of WordPerfect for
                        > Macintosh documents via libwpd-0.8.4
                        > * Fixes for many additional bugs reported against 1.2 Alpha
                        > * Requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later
                        > * For a more complete list of changes since NeoOffice/J
                        > 1.1, see the release notes.
                      • Robert Marrott
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 3, 2006
                          Woops. AbiWord is the program that has the problems with printing, not
                          NeoOffice.

                          RLM

                          On 1/3/06 1:07 PM, "Robert Marrott" <marrottr@...> wrote:

                          > My experience has been that NeoOffice does not print well. There are kerning
                          > problems, letters ran together, etc.
                          >
                          > RLM
                        • Smokey Ardisson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 3, 2006
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...> wrote:

                            > >Where did you find the Beta? When I looked at the site, all I saw
                            > >was the Alpha.
                            >
                            > Dear Steven
                            >
                            > ftp://ftp.plusline.de/pub/NeoOffice/NeoOffice-1.2_Beta.dmg

                            <http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php> has all the download mirrors (which are worldwide, but rotated). www.neooffice.org doesn't have much content on it these days, so it's always the last to get updated, alas. <http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/> and <http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Release_Notes> will have more up-to-date info (the latter keeping you apprised of new patches as well).

                            Smokey
                          • Smokey Ardisson
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 3, 2006
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert Marrott <marrottr@b...> wrote:

                              > Woops. AbiWord is the program that has the problems with printing, not
                              > NeoOffice.
                              >
                              > RLM
                              >

                              > On 1/3/06 1:07 PM, "Robert Marrott" <marrottr@b...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > My experience has been that NeoOffice does not print well. There are kerning
                              > > problems, letters ran together, etc.
                              > >
                              > > RLM

                              That's definitely AbiWord ;) It sounds like they have an idea of how to fix it, but haven't mplemented it yet <http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9536>.

                              Smokey