Re: [wpmac] WP-Mac 3.5 vs. WP-Win 12 + MS Virtual PC emulator under OS X

  • riddlerjd@mac.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2005
      J,

      I have tried both WP 10 for windows under Virtual PC 6.0 and am
      currently using WP for Mac 3.5. Both programs run under emulation so
      there is a performance penalty but I find WP for Mac more responsive
      and useable. I currently have a G4 1.25 Ghz iMac. A newer G5 system
      with Virtual PC 7 may be more responsive, but what I have gleaned
      from VPC forums and the net is it isn't that much faster. Maybe the
      forthcoming switch to Intel chips will allow for a better Virtual PC
      experience but only time will tell. WP under VPC does look better,
      but to use it on a regular basis, you need to be a very patient
      person. You also lose the interoperability between WP and your OSX
      applications through scripting. VPC 7 does allow for some scripting,
      bit it isn't as easy to code as between OS 9 and OSX. Hope this helps.
      -Jonathan

      jackl421 <jack@...> wrote:
      I first want to thank everyone in this group and especially those
      writing new adaptations
      like the WP spotlight indexer. I am **so** happy I was able to make
      the switch to mac
      (which I love) without being forced to use MS Word, which I
      absolutely loathe, or to use
      some functional line editor type program like BBedit which seems to
      be great for writing
      code or converting file types but not so good as a word processor.

      That being said, I am a little disappointed with the way that Classic
      programs run under
      OS X, not only the laborious, kludgy switching to a virtual machine
      window, but the fact
      that the application doesn't seem entirely stable and often quits
      unexpectedly or is
      switched into a background mode when new Eudora mail arrives, etc.

      So, perhaps this question has already been answered here, but have
      any of you tried to
      run Win WP under Microsoft's Virtual Windows software for mac? Does
      that work better to
      preserve the WP experience overall, or should I soldier on with the
      Classic Mac version?

      p.s. Probably a silly question also answered in the archives, but is
      there someone at Corel
      we should be writing to presuade them that Macintosh is a more viable
      platform than it
      perhaps was when they decided to discontinue mac WP support? How
      hard would it be to
      recode WP mac to run under the OS X environment?