Converting complex WP-Mac files (was Re: [wpmac] Urgent Question!!!)

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 29, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoffrey S" <Geoff@e...> wrote:

      > The latest version of NeoOffice does not have the J - it's now a port to OSX rather than a port to java that can run under under OSX. It seems very good with WPWin and simple WPMac files - still no success with complex WPMac files (eg. footnotes).

      Funny you should mention that :-) I have some (preliminary) very good news on this front for Geoff and others who've bugged me about this. I just got an email in my inbox from one of the libwpd developers letting me know that there is now partial and experimental support for tables *and* footnotes/endnotes in WP-Mac files in an experimental branch of libwpd.

      Hopefully this will make it into libwpd 0.8.4 in the next few weeks and then into end-user products like NeoOffice by the end of the year (depending on their release/update schedules)....

      Smokey
    • Tracy Gromer
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 29, 2005
        At last -- someone else with the same problem I had. I just could not make Wpfct work well enough to use it daily on the Mac and could not trade files with the PC users at my office with the Mac. This group was very helpful, but it was all gibberish to me. I'd get all kinds of helpful advice that I could not interpret or follow. I was very bummed, especially since I couldn't send my Mac back. My office ultimately bought me a new notebook PC, because they couldn't stand it any more, and the fabulous G5 is playing music in my kitchen. This must be a huge problem for others too and I am amazed that Wpfct and/or Mac don't do something about it.

        Good luck with your stuff -- I still have no idea what droplets are either. Or what to do with them.

        Tracy, short-lived Mac user.

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 29, 2005
          I have been watching this thread for a bit and can offer some small
          advice as to what "droplets" are. The word itself seems to be a
          contraction of drop-enabled applet. What it means is, it is a very
          small, single-purpose application which has "drag and drop" enabled as
          part of its coding. When dealing with a conversion droplet as we are
          here, you drag the file's icon over the top of the droplet's icon. Upon
          releasing the file, the droplet launches then performs its function upon
          the file.

          I hope that was simple enough without being too simple,

          Rick

        • J Busch
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
            I have put together a WP Conversion guide that can be found at:

            http://homepage.mac.com/eagle4031/FileSharing32.html

            John if you want to add it to the files in this group that would be fine.
            It was written so that my mom could follow the instructions. So hopefully it might be of some use to newbies that are finding some difficulty with Mac OSX and WP.

            -Jonathan

            Sunshine <sunshine9477@...> wrote: Hi,

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@y...> wrote:

              > I have put together a WP Conversion guide that can be found at:
              >
              > http://homepage.mac.com/eagle4031/FileSharing32.html
              >
              > John if you want to add it to the files in this group that would be fine.
              > It was written so that my mom could follow the instructions. So hopefully it might be of
              some use to newbies that are finding some difficulty with Mac OSX and WP.

              > -Jonathan

              Jonathan, this is an excellent guide. I'm trying to find room for it in the Files section, but
              we're just about at the 20mb limit. Meanwhile, I hope everyone with any questions about
              conversion downloads this.

              Thanks!
              John Re
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@y...> wrote:

                > I have put together a WP Conversion guide that can be found at:
                >
                > http://homepage.mac.com/eagle4031/FileSharing32.html

                Also available in the Links section here, as "Conversion Guide".

                Thanks again, Jonathan.

                John R.
              • Rick Albright
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
                  A brilliant guide!
                  --Rick Albright

                  On Nov 30, 2005, at 5:30 PM, J Busch wrote:

                  > I have put together a WP Conversion guide that can be found at:
                  >
                  > http://homepage.mac.com/eagle4031/FileSharing32.html
                  >
                  > John if you want to add it to the files in this group that would be
                  > fine.
                  > It was written so that my mom could follow the instructions. So
                  > hopefully it might be of some use to newbies that are finding some
                  > difficulty with Mac OSX and WP.
                  >
                  > -Jonathan
                  >

                  > Sunshine <sunshine9477@...> wrote:     Hi,
                  >
                  > I have the same problem that Carlos has. I've used WordPerfect from
                  > V.5.1 for DOS up to
                  > V.11 for Windows. I am almost totally ignorant of Macs and how they
                  > work. {I've only had
                  > this one for less than 3 days}.
                  >
                  > I'm a writer and between my novel and my short stories, I have
                  > thousands of pages in WP
                  > for Windows. First, I made an emulated PC and tried to run WP9. But
                  > it ran slow, and the
                  > text was funny. Then I d'led WP3.5e and got it up and running. But I
                  > can't convert my files.
                  >
                  > I read the answer to Carlos, but don't know what to do. What's a
                  > 'droplet'? and where do I
                  > put them after I've extracted them? I back-saved a couple of my WP11
                  > files to WP6, as 3.5
                  > says that it can save to WP6. My WPWin files are on a ZIP disk, but
                  > WPMac only sees the
                  > folders they're in, not the files themselves. But when I try 'save
                  > as' it shows me the files.
                  >
                  > I'm kind of in a hurry with this, too, as I only have a few days in
                  > which I can return this Mac
                  > and get my money back. I'm not sure I want to do that, but my writing
                  > is paramount and if
                  > I can't write comfortably on this very expensive PowerBook, I can't
                  > afford to keep it.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Micki
                • Tracy Gromer
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Well that did kind of make sense to me. But what's an "applet?" Is it a cute little apple?

                    Tracy

                    Tracy Gromer wrote:

                    > At last -- someone else with the same problem I had. I just could not
                    > make Wpfct work well enough to use it daily on the Mac and could not
                    > trade files with the PC users at my office with the Mac. This group
                    > was very helpful, but it was all gibberish to me. I'd get all kinds
                    > of helpful advice that I could not interpret or follow. I was very
                    > bummed, especially since I couldn't send my Mac back. My office
                    > ultimately bought me a new notebook PC, because they couldn't stand it
                    > any more, and the fabulous G5 is playing music in my kitchen. This
                    > must be a huge problem for others too and I am amazed that Wpfct
                    > and/or Mac don't do something about it.
                    >
                    > Good luck with your stuff -- I still have no idea what droplets are
                    > either. Or what to do with them.
                    >
                    > Tracy, short-lived Mac user.

                  • Richard Fallstrom
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                      Tracy,

                      An "applet" is a very small, single purpose/function application. An
                      applet will usually not have a user interface since what it does has
                      been predetermined. An applet will usually quit when it is done. The
                      only exception I know to this are a class of applets written for Java.

                      Is this any clearer?

                      Rick