Re: [wpmac] Wordperfect for mac in London UK

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:

      > I don't know if WP Mac can read WP12 Windows files, but until you get
      > a more authoritative answer to your questions about WP12...

      The WP-Win file format is unchanged since WP6, so WP-Mac can read it as well as it can read any WP6 document, which is to say, fairly well but not perfectly (then again, only a file format's native application can read it perfectly).

      > If you email me a small WP12 file, I'll see if I can find something
      > on the Mac that opens it.

      WP-Mac, DataViz's MacLinkPlus, AbiWord, NeoOffice/J, and apparently the latest version of Nisus (the latter three all, directly or indirectly, via the libwpd library). Only the first two can save back to the "WP6" file format, though.

      Smokey
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2005
        Smokey

        I know what you say is right, but WP6 imports well, while WP8 freezes
        WP Mac. I've never tried a WP12.

        Any thoughts

        Geoff

        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@s...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I don't know if WP Mac can read WP12 Windows files, but until you get
        >> a more authoritative answer to your questions about WP12...
        >
        >The WP-Win file format is unchanged since WP6, so WP-Mac can read it
        >as well as it can read any WP6 document, which is to say, fairly
        >well but not perfectly (then again, only a file format's native
        >application can read it perfectly).
        >
        >> If you email me a small WP12 file, I'll see if I can find something
        >> on the Mac that opens it.
        >
        >WP-Mac, DataViz's MacLinkPlus, AbiWord, NeoOffice/J, and apparently
        >the latest version of Nisus (the latter three all, directly or
        >indirectly, via the libwpd library). Only the first two can save
        >back to the "WP6" file format, though.
        >
        >Smokey
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2005
          Smokey and Geoff, for me WPWin11 files are converted adequately by WP
          3.5e's own converters (sometimes long documents get truncated, but that
          has been a problem with other conversions into 3.5e too, at least in
          OS9; I had not had the problem in OS 8.6), and WPWin11 does fine with
          3.5e docs saved as WPWin6-7-8. Also, I believe that WPWin versions
          through 9 or 10 had an optionally installed conversion to and from WPMac
          3.5 (which 3.5e can of course deal with with no difficulty, in either
          direction), but this is unfortunately lacking in WPWin11, the version I
          have. Tom

          ===================================
          Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
          Licensed Clinical Psychologist
          1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
          Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
          (708) 848-1611
          fax (708) 848-1436
          tjrostaf@...
          ===================================
        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 21, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...> wrote:
            > I know what you say is right, but WP6 imports well, while WP8 freezes
            > WP Mac. I've never tried a WP12.
            >
            > Any thoughts

            Unfortunately, no brilliant (or otherwise) thoughts here :-( The only time I've ever had problems with opening WP-Win documents is when the type/creator were missing and I proceeded to have the Mac OS X Finder force WP-Mac to open them (cmd-opt-drag to the dock icon); I think WP-Mac would alternately freeze or crash. Assigining type/creator always fixed that, though.

            I really don't know what version of WP-Win is used to create the documents I get these days; I think on campus they're using 10 or 11.... I don't get massive quantities of .wpd files, though, so maybe I've just missed all the problematic freeze/crash ones?

            Smokey
          • Tison Campbell
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 21, 2005
              The new version of OpenOffice(2.0) opens WP docs. Another option is
              Neo Office/J, both are available at: http://porting.openoffice.org/
              mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html and both are free

              Tison Campbell
              tison@...