Re: [wpmac] WP DocCompare function

  • Peter Hartmann
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 12 1:07 AM
      Sorry for chiming in late here, but I think the most likely scenario
      is that MacPerl's memory allocation is too small.
      This is a very common problem.

      As you most likely know, MacPerl was ported to the Classic Mac OS
      from Unix, where memory management is completely different.

      Years ago I regularly ran a script to download web pages and save
      them as text files, where I had to allocate a huge block of memory
      for MacPerl and, on top of that, quit and relaunch MacPerl
      periodically using an apple script (which executed the Perl script)
      to free memory completely and avoid failing of the script.

      So, to cut a long story short, my best bet is:

      - Quit MacPerl if it is running and single click on the MacPerl app
      in the Finder to highlite it.
      - Press cmd-i to see the info dialog.
      - Enter a far bigger figure in both of the editable memory allocation
      fields, say 10 MB, and close the dialog.
      - Try to run the script once again.
      - If the script works, but memory is tight on your machine or you
      experience slowdowns in other apps etc. (especially if you are using
      OS 9 or below), you could decrease both figures gradually to reach a
      value where the script just no longer fails.
      - On the other hand: The size of the files to compare will probably
      relate to the amount of memory consumed by MacPerl. So the script
      might work with smaller files but won't with larger ones.

      If all the above fails, and - provided the script you are using is a
      droplet (I don't know), it might be worth to try to double or triple
      the memory allocation for the droplet itself. The procedure is
      similar to the one described above.

      Hope this helps.

      ___ Peter Hartmann ________

      mailto:hphartmann@...