Re: [wpmac] WP DocCompare function

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
      John

      My situation is different. I am using OSX with WP under Classic, but
      WPDocCompare in OSX. I also use the droplet, not the script. I just
      compared two similar files (one of 68k, the other 36k). It took about
      three minutes to find over 2000 differences in each file. I dropped
      the two files on the droplet, it asked me to find WP) and then it
      ran. I had previously copied the macro in the Readme file into
      Librarian.

      Geoff

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
        John, your question was well-presented. I didn't reply since
        I'm illiterate in Perl and DocCompare has always worked
        for me. I could only suggest reinstalling Perl.

        I'm sure Gero will post a response the next time he checks
        wpmac. He's a very talented guy - PhD in physics and also
        an attorney - and probably correspondingly busy.

        John R.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
          I asked Gero; he replied:

          > All I can think of is that his installation of MacPerl is deficient,

          I don't think so. MacPerl is very solid, and as long as it starts up
          without showing errors I wouldn't assume that there is anything
          wrong. If it does not start up, check whether the tell clause in
          the AppleScript properly says "MacPerl", and/or rebuild desktop.

          I remember that after repeatedly running DocCompare on a pair
          of documents (which normal users won't do) the markings
          stopped appearing in the WP window. The cure was to close the
          WP window and reopen the documents in WP. WP should have
          enough memory, too.
        • John Kaufmann
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
            At 051111 12:13 +0000, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

            >I am using OSX with WP under Classic, but WPDocCompare in OSX. I
            >also use the droplet, not the script. I just compared two similar
            >files (one of 68k, the other 36k). It took about three minutes to
            >find over 2000 differences in each file. I dropped the two files on
            >the droplet, it asked me to find WP) and then it ran.

            Thanks, Geoff. It's nice to have confirmation that it works as
            delivered (droplet and compiled script are the same) - even if in a
            different OS arrangement. That means I look for something in my
            environment.

            >I had previously copied the macro in the Readme file into Librarian.

            As did I - and increased the Perl memory, as advised in the Readme.
            --
            Thanks,
            John K
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
              John, I appreciate your extra effort on my question:

              At 051111 23:28 +0000, John Rethorst wrote:

              >I asked Gero; he replied:
              >
              >> All I can think of is that his installation of MacPerl is deficient,
              >
              >I don't think so. MacPerl is very solid, and as long as it starts up
              >without showing errors ...

              [and it does]

              >... I wouldn't assume that there is anything wrong. If it does not
              >start up, check whether the tell clause in the AppleScript properly
              >says "MacPerl", and/or rebuild desktop.
              >
              >I remember that after repeatedly running DocCompare on a pair of
              >documents (which normal users won't do) the markings stopped
              >appearing in the WP window. The cure was to close the WP window and
              >reopen the documents in WP.

              OK. While that is not exactly my situation, it sounds like a clue.

              >WP should have enough memory, too.

              Yes. While I increased the allocation for MacPerl, i did not think
              to do the same for WP, but will do so now. The fact that it works
              fine for you and Geoff is enough to tell me to look at my
              environment, not at the script, and you have given me clues to think
              about. I will let you know.
              --
              Thanks,
              John K
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
                Sorry for chiming in late here, but I think the most likely scenario
                is that MacPerl's memory allocation is too small.
                This is a very common problem.

                As you most likely know, MacPerl was ported to the Classic Mac OS
                from Unix, where memory management is completely different.

                Years ago I regularly ran a script to download web pages and save
                them as text files, where I had to allocate a huge block of memory
                for MacPerl and, on top of that, quit and relaunch MacPerl
                periodically using an apple script (which executed the Perl script)
                to free memory completely and avoid failing of the script.

                So, to cut a long story short, my best bet is:

                - Quit MacPerl if it is running and single click on the MacPerl app
                in the Finder to highlite it.
                - Press cmd-i to see the info dialog.
                - Enter a far bigger figure in both of the editable memory allocation
                fields, say 10 MB, and close the dialog.
                - Try to run the script once again.
                - If the script works, but memory is tight on your machine or you
                experience slowdowns in other apps etc. (especially if you are using
                OS 9 or below), you could decrease both figures gradually to reach a
                value where the script just no longer fails.
                - On the other hand: The size of the files to compare will probably
                relate to the amount of memory consumed by MacPerl. So the script
                might work with smaller files but won't with larger ones.

                If all the above fails, and - provided the script you are using is a
                droplet (I don't know), it might be worth to try to double or triple
                the memory allocation for the droplet itself. The procedure is
                similar to the one described above.

                Hope this helps.

                ___ Peter Hartmann ________

                mailto:hphartmann@...