Re: [wpmac] WP DocCompare function

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 10, 2005
      At 051108 00:23 -0500, John Kaufmann wrote:

      >One of the big functional holes in WP/Mac is its lack of a document
      >comparison function. It's a hole that I understood was filled by
      >Gero Hermann's script WP DocCompare (v.2.01) -- but I've never been
      >able to make it work ...

      When I consider why that question of a few days ago has so far
      received no reply, I think it is probably because my poor
      presentation of the question may have given an impression that - as a
      newbie to the interaction of AppleScript with Perl - I was just
      looking for scripting guidance to help make the DocCompare script
      work. In fact, I'm willing to do the digging on the scripting issues
      myself (though any pointers would be welcome).

      The central question the one with which I concluded that post: Is
      anyone using the WP DocCompare script? [preferably under Mac OS 8.6]
      It seems to churn away on the two topmost windows, apparently doing
      what needs to be done - but when finished none of the differences are
      marked ... all of which suggests that it might be a small change to
      get it to work. If you are using it, did you need to make any
      changes to get it to work?
      --
      John
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
        John

        My situation is different. I am using OSX with WP under Classic, but
        WPDocCompare in OSX. I also use the droplet, not the script. I just
        compared two similar files (one of 68k, the other 36k). It took about
        three minutes to find over 2000 differences in each file. I dropped
        the two files on the droplet, it asked me to find WP) and then it
        ran. I had previously copied the macro in the Readme file into
        Librarian.

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
          John, your question was well-presented. I didn't reply since
          I'm illiterate in Perl and DocCompare has always worked
          for me. I could only suggest reinstalling Perl.

          I'm sure Gero will post a response the next time he checks
          wpmac. He's a very talented guy - PhD in physics and also
          an attorney - and probably correspondingly busy.

          John R.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
            I asked Gero; he replied:

            > All I can think of is that his installation of MacPerl is deficient,

            I don't think so. MacPerl is very solid, and as long as it starts up
            without showing errors I wouldn't assume that there is anything
            wrong. If it does not start up, check whether the tell clause in
            the AppleScript properly says "MacPerl", and/or rebuild desktop.

            I remember that after repeatedly running DocCompare on a pair
            of documents (which normal users won't do) the markings
            stopped appearing in the WP window. The cure was to close the
            WP window and reopen the documents in WP. WP should have
            enough memory, too.
          • John Kaufmann
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
              At 051111 12:13 +0000, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

              >I am using OSX with WP under Classic, but WPDocCompare in OSX. I
              >also use the droplet, not the script. I just compared two similar
              >files (one of 68k, the other 36k). It took about three minutes to
              >find over 2000 differences in each file. I dropped the two files on
              >the droplet, it asked me to find WP) and then it ran.

              Thanks, Geoff. It's nice to have confirmation that it works as
              delivered (droplet and compiled script are the same) - even if in a
              different OS arrangement. That means I look for something in my
              environment.

              >I had previously copied the macro in the Readme file into Librarian.

              As did I - and increased the Perl memory, as advised in the Readme.
              --
              Thanks,
              John K
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
                John, I appreciate your extra effort on my question:

                At 051111 23:28 +0000, John Rethorst wrote:

                >I asked Gero; he replied:
                >
                >> All I can think of is that his installation of MacPerl is deficient,
                >
                >I don't think so. MacPerl is very solid, and as long as it starts up
                >without showing errors ...

                [and it does]

                >... I wouldn't assume that there is anything wrong. If it does not
                >start up, check whether the tell clause in the AppleScript properly
                >says "MacPerl", and/or rebuild desktop.
                >
                >I remember that after repeatedly running DocCompare on a pair of
                >documents (which normal users won't do) the markings stopped
                >appearing in the WP window. The cure was to close the WP window and
                >reopen the documents in WP.

                OK. While that is not exactly my situation, it sounds like a clue.

                >WP should have enough memory, too.

                Yes. While I increased the allocation for MacPerl, i did not think
                to do the same for WP, but will do so now. The fact that it works
                fine for you and Geoff is enough to tell me to look at my
                environment, not at the script, and you have given me clues to think
                about. I will let you know.
                --
                Thanks,
                John K
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
                  Sorry for chiming in late here, but I think the most likely scenario
                  is that MacPerl's memory allocation is too small.
                  This is a very common problem.

                  As you most likely know, MacPerl was ported to the Classic Mac OS
                  from Unix, where memory management is completely different.

                  Years ago I regularly ran a script to download web pages and save
                  them as text files, where I had to allocate a huge block of memory
                  for MacPerl and, on top of that, quit and relaunch MacPerl
                  periodically using an apple script (which executed the Perl script)
                  to free memory completely and avoid failing of the script.

                  So, to cut a long story short, my best bet is:

                  - Quit MacPerl if it is running and single click on the MacPerl app
                  in the Finder to highlite it.
                  - Press cmd-i to see the info dialog.
                  - Enter a far bigger figure in both of the editable memory allocation
                  fields, say 10 MB, and close the dialog.
                  - Try to run the script once again.
                  - If the script works, but memory is tight on your machine or you
                  experience slowdowns in other apps etc. (especially if you are using
                  OS 9 or below), you could decrease both figures gradually to reach a
                  value where the script just no longer fails.
                  - On the other hand: The size of the files to compare will probably
                  relate to the amount of memory consumed by MacPerl. So the script
                  might work with smaller files but won't with larger ones.

                  If all the above fails, and - provided the script you are using is a
                  droplet (I don't know), it might be worth to try to double or triple
                  the memory allocation for the droplet itself. The procedure is
                  similar to the one described above.

                  Hope this helps.

                  ___ Peter Hartmann ________

                  mailto:hphartmann@...