[ANN] Word > WP 2.0 - for OSX and Classic

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2005
      Now supports OS 8.1 - 9!

      I've just learned that RagTime Solo, a page layout program,
      will open Word docs and save them as RTF.

      The greatest part of this news is that Ragtime Solo is _free_
      both in OSX and Classic (OS 8.1 and later) versions.

      So we now have automatic Word > WordPerfect conversion
      in Classic as well as OSX!

      It takes a lot to make me happy, but this does it.

      The download is at http://www.ragtime-online.com/ Look for
      the RagTime Solo page, and download links for OSX and for
      Classic. Download the one for the OS you use.

      For the purposes of this Word > WP conversion droplet, Ragtime
      works better than Pages or TextEdit, so version 2.0 (OSX) of
      Word > WP has Ragtime as an option, but will also work with
      AppleWorks, TextEdit and Pages. Version 2.0 (Classic) works
      with AppleWorks and Ragtime.

      The Pages component of the OSX droplet is still under
      construction, and the Classic droplet supports a conversion
      by AppleWorks that needs further testing, so these two
      parts are beta for the moment.

      The droplets are in the Conversions folder of the Files section
      here, as Word > WP 2.0.sit.

      Otherwise, Ragtime is one impressive program: page layout,
      graphics and spreadsheet. What a wonderful world - all the
      best software is free. Text Wrangler, Ragtime, and . . . our
      favorite.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
        I have Ragtime Solo 5.6.4 (a wonderful programme). I dropped a .doc
        file with tables on the converter, it passed through Ragtime and I
        received a WP file but it only contained Ragtime code. Are tables
        beyond the converter? I'm also having problems with footnotes, but,
        as the readme warns, my rtf converter may be corrupt.

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2005
          Update to Error Message: As John's email proposed, I downloaded a new
          version of WP's Conversions folder and copied across the RTF
          converter. I got the Error message once again, but then I ran the
          droplet on an rtf file through Ragtime and that worked. I then tried
          it on a simple .doc file and that worked, too (it actually wasn't
          that simple - there were hyperlinks in the file and these were
          translated). Finally, I ran it on a .doc file with loads of footnotes
          - no problems. It still can't do tables or graphics (no matter what
          it seems to say it's doing), but this is the best Word conversion
          I've seen.

          Geoff