WP DocCompare function

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
      One of the big functional holes in WP/Mac is its lack of a document
      comparison function. It's a hole that I understood was filled by
      Gero Hermann's script WP DocCompare (v.2.01) -- but I've never been
      able to make it work: The documents just sit there as the script
      churns away, and eventually both document windows are re-written,
      which tells me that the script has completed ... but there are never
      any results: no differences are marked.

      In the past I have given up under time pressures and converted to WP
      5.1 to get the job done. This time I have determined to do better
      with it, mostly because WP/Mac needs the function, partly I think the
      script is a fine piece of work, and I have always enjoyed and been
      informed by Gero's posts -- so I'm sure it *must* work, or at least
      deserves to be made to work. [IAC, in the course of understanding it
      to make it work, I get some valuable scripting lessons.]

      However ... I'm stumped so far as I try to figure out why the script
      is not working -- partly because I'm not a Perl scripter, partly
      because the algorithms stretch my scripting competence, and partly
      because I have not yet figured out the interfaces between the two
      scripting languages. Of course I studied the Readme that came with
      DocCompare, but the only thing I learned from that was to allocate
      more memory to MacPerl. This script is already superbly commented,
      and Gero probably figured that should be enough for anyone, but not
      in my case. Is there any more documentation or analysis on it?

      Anyone using this script? (preferably under MacOS 8.6) If so, did
      you need to make any changes?
      --
      John
    • John Kaufmann
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 10, 2005
        At 051108 00:23 -0500, John Kaufmann wrote:

        >One of the big functional holes in WP/Mac is its lack of a document
        >comparison function. It's a hole that I understood was filled by
        >Gero Hermann's script WP DocCompare (v.2.01) -- but I've never been
        >able to make it work ...

        When I consider why that question of a few days ago has so far
        received no reply, I think it is probably because my poor
        presentation of the question may have given an impression that - as a
        newbie to the interaction of AppleScript with Perl - I was just
        looking for scripting guidance to help make the DocCompare script
        work. In fact, I'm willing to do the digging on the scripting issues
        myself (though any pointers would be welcome).

        The central question the one with which I concluded that post: Is
        anyone using the WP DocCompare script? [preferably under Mac OS 8.6]
        It seems to churn away on the two topmost windows, apparently doing
        what needs to be done - but when finished none of the differences are
        marked ... all of which suggests that it might be a small change to
        get it to work. If you are using it, did you need to make any
        changes to get it to work?
        --
        John
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
          John

          My situation is different. I am using OSX with WP under Classic, but
          WPDocCompare in OSX. I also use the droplet, not the script. I just
          compared two similar files (one of 68k, the other 36k). It took about
          three minutes to find over 2000 differences in each file. I dropped
          the two files on the droplet, it asked me to find WP) and then it
          ran. I had previously copied the macro in the Readme file into
          Librarian.

          Geoff

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
            John, your question was well-presented. I didn't reply since
            I'm illiterate in Perl and DocCompare has always worked
            for me. I could only suggest reinstalling Perl.

            I'm sure Gero will post a response the next time he checks
            wpmac. He's a very talented guy - PhD in physics and also
            an attorney - and probably correspondingly busy.

            John R.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
              I asked Gero; he replied:

              > All I can think of is that his installation of MacPerl is deficient,

              I don't think so. MacPerl is very solid, and as long as it starts up
              without showing errors I wouldn't assume that there is anything
              wrong. If it does not start up, check whether the tell clause in
              the AppleScript properly says "MacPerl", and/or rebuild desktop.

              I remember that after repeatedly running DocCompare on a pair
              of documents (which normal users won't do) the markings
              stopped appearing in the WP window. The cure was to close the
              WP window and reopen the documents in WP. WP should have
              enough memory, too.
            • John Kaufmann
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
                At 051111 12:13 +0000, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                >I am using OSX with WP under Classic, but WPDocCompare in OSX. I
                >also use the droplet, not the script. I just compared two similar
                >files (one of 68k, the other 36k). It took about three minutes to
                >find over 2000 differences in each file. I dropped the two files on
                >the droplet, it asked me to find WP) and then it ran.

                Thanks, Geoff. It's nice to have confirmation that it works as
                delivered (droplet and compiled script are the same) - even if in a
                different OS arrangement. That means I look for something in my
                environment.

                >I had previously copied the macro in the Readme file into Librarian.

                As did I - and increased the Perl memory, as advised in the Readme.
                --
                Thanks,
                John K
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2005
                  John, I appreciate your extra effort on my question:

                  At 051111 23:28 +0000, John Rethorst wrote:

                  >I asked Gero; he replied:
                  >
                  >> All I can think of is that his installation of MacPerl is deficient,
                  >
                  >I don't think so. MacPerl is very solid, and as long as it starts up
                  >without showing errors ...

                  [and it does]

                  >... I wouldn't assume that there is anything wrong. If it does not
                  >start up, check whether the tell clause in the AppleScript properly
                  >says "MacPerl", and/or rebuild desktop.
                  >
                  >I remember that after repeatedly running DocCompare on a pair of
                  >documents (which normal users won't do) the markings stopped
                  >appearing in the WP window. The cure was to close the WP window and
                  >reopen the documents in WP.

                  OK. While that is not exactly my situation, it sounds like a clue.

                  >WP should have enough memory, too.

                  Yes. While I increased the allocation for MacPerl, i did not think
                  to do the same for WP, but will do so now. The fact that it works
                  fine for you and Geoff is enough to tell me to look at my
                  environment, not at the script, and you have given me clues to think
                  about. I will let you know.
                  --
                  Thanks,
                  John K
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
                    Sorry for chiming in late here, but I think the most likely scenario
                    is that MacPerl's memory allocation is too small.
                    This is a very common problem.

                    As you most likely know, MacPerl was ported to the Classic Mac OS
                    from Unix, where memory management is completely different.

                    Years ago I regularly ran a script to download web pages and save
                    them as text files, where I had to allocate a huge block of memory
                    for MacPerl and, on top of that, quit and relaunch MacPerl
                    periodically using an apple script (which executed the Perl script)
                    to free memory completely and avoid failing of the script.

                    So, to cut a long story short, my best bet is:

                    - Quit MacPerl if it is running and single click on the MacPerl app
                    in the Finder to highlite it.
                    - Press cmd-i to see the info dialog.
                    - Enter a far bigger figure in both of the editable memory allocation
                    fields, say 10 MB, and close the dialog.
                    - Try to run the script once again.
                    - If the script works, but memory is tight on your machine or you
                    experience slowdowns in other apps etc. (especially if you are using
                    OS 9 or below), you could decrease both figures gradually to reach a
                    value where the script just no longer fails.
                    - On the other hand: The size of the files to compare will probably
                    relate to the amount of memory consumed by MacPerl. So the script
                    might work with smaller files but won't with larger ones.

                    If all the above fails, and - provided the script you are using is a
                    droplet (I don't know), it might be worth to try to double or triple
                    the memory allocation for the droplet itself. The procedure is
                    similar to the one described above.

                    Hope this helps.

                    ___ Peter Hartmann ________

                    mailto:hphartmann@...