Re: [ANN] Word > WP 1.1

  • gero_herrmann
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@y...> wrote:

      > I am sure that an updated RTF filter would be a big
      > project. But what is required to write an updated
      > filter? What documentation is out there for creating
      > a WP filter? Is this something that has to be
      > reversed engineered or did Corel leave documentation
      > for third party filters?
      > Just wondering where one might start.

      Easier than updating the "RTF Conversions" file in the "Conversions" folder may be creating
      a standalone conversion tool for converting between RTF and the WP 4.0 file format. This
      would have the advantage to not require Classic. If written in Perl, the conversion tool
      will also run on Mac OS 9 in MacPerl. A starting point could be the available
      RTF::HTML::Converter Perl module, which builds on the RTF::Parser module.

      http://search.cpan.org/~sargie/RTF-Parser-1.09/

      My suggestion would be to create an analogous RTF::WordPerfect::Converter module.

      Gero Herrmann
      Wiesbaden, Germany
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@y...>
        wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am sure that an updated RTF filter would be a big
        > > project. But what is required to write an updated
        > > filter? What documentation is out there for creating
        > > a WP filter? Is this something that has to be
        > > reversed engineered or did Corel leave documentation
        > > for third party filters?
        > > Just wondering where one might start.

        We have the file format, and RTF's is published. Just a matter of finding
        people with the capability and time.

        > Easier than updating the "RTF Conversions" file in the "Conversions"
        > folder may be creating a standalone conversion tool for converting
        > between RTF and the WP 4.0 file format. This would have the
        > advantage to not require Classic. If written in Perl, the conversion tool
        > will also run on Mac OS 9 in MacPerl. A starting point could be the available
        > RTF::HTML::Converter Perl module, which builds on the RTF::Parser module.
        >
        > http://search.cpan.org/~sargie/RTF-Parser-1.09/
        >
        > My suggestion would be to create an analogous RTF::WordPerfect::Converter
        > module.

        This is a _terrific_ idea. Could we get a joint project going? Group
        membership is approaching 800; if half a dozen of us can do Perl...

        I don't know how many people have stopped using WPMac since
        conversion to and from Word isn't very good. This could make a big
        difference.