Urgent Question!!!

  • Carlos Olivares
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
      I have an urgent question, for a long time I used
      wordperfect in Windows (11,12) My master´s thesis in
      writen in worderfect, now, I have installed in my MAC,
      wordperfect 3.5, but I can´t open my document.
      (Document in wordperfect windows, .wpd) At fisrt I
      thought they were compatible and that I could
      convert....but until now it has been imposible.

      I´m new in this (MAC), I write from CHILE and woud be
      very grateful if experts in MAC can help me solve my
      problem.

      Thankyou,

      Carlos Olivares
      CHILE

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • J Busch
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
        Carlos,
        If you go to the Conversions folder located under the
        files section on this group you will find
        Conversion_Droplets_1.0.1.sit. Unpack the three
        droplets and then drag your *.wpd file onto the
        droplet for WP6+ files. You should now be able to
        open your files in WP3.5
        -Jonathan

        --- Carlos Olivares <pastorcarlosolivares@...>
        wrote:

        > I have an urgent question, for a long time I used
        > wordperfect in Windows (11,12) My master´s thesis in
        > writen in worderfect, now, I have installed in my
        > MAC,
        > wordperfect 3.5, but I can´t open my document.
        > (Document in wordperfect windows, .wpd) At fisrt I
        > thought they were compatible and that I could
        > convert....but until now it has been imposible.
        >
        > I´m new in this (MAC), I write from CHILE and woud
        > be
        > very grateful if experts in MAC can help me solve my
        > problem.
        >
        > Thankyou,
        >
        > Carlos Olivares
        > CHILE
        >

        > __________________________________
        > Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in
        > one click.
        > http://farechase.yahoo.com

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sunshine
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 28, 2005
          Hi,

          I have the same problem that Carlos has. I've used WordPerfect from V.5.1 for DOS up to
          V.11 for Windows. I am almost totally ignorant of Macs and how they work. {I've only had
          this one for less than 3 days}.

          I'm a writer and between my novel and my short stories, I have thousands of pages in WP
          for Windows. First, I made an emulated PC and tried to run WP9. But it ran slow, and the
          text was funny. Then I d'led WP3.5e and got it up and running. But I can't convert my files.

          I read the answer to Carlos, but don't know what to do. What's a 'droplet'? and where do I
          put them after I've extracted them? I back-saved a couple of my WP11 files to WP6, as 3.5
          says that it can save to WP6. My WPWin files are on a ZIP disk, but WPMac only sees the
          folders they're in, not the files themselves. But when I try 'save as' it shows me the files.

          I'm kind of in a hurry with this, too, as I only have a few days in which I can return this Mac
          and get my money back. I'm not sure I want to do that, but my writing is paramount and if
          I can't write comfortably on this very expensive PowerBook, I can't afford to keep it.

          Thanks,
          Micki
        • Tison Campbell
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 28, 2005
            I've found that OpenOffice or NeoOffice/J both work well to convert
            WP files. From there you can go to Word or just work in Open/
            NeoOffice. Both programs are free and available from: http://
            porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

            If you don't know what X11 is then download NeoOffice/J

            -Tison
            On Nov 28, 2005, at 10:20 PM, Sunshine wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have the same problem that Carlos has. I've used WordPerfect from
            > V.5.1 for DOS up to
            > V.11 for Windows. I am almost totally ignorant of Macs and how they
            > work. {I've only had
            > this one for less than 3 days}.
            >
            > I'm a writer and between my novel and my short stories, I have
            > thousands of pages in WP
            > for Windows. First, I made an emulated PC and tried to run WP9. But
            > it ran slow, and the
            > text was funny. Then I d'led WP3.5e and got it up and running. But
            > I can't convert my files.
            >
            > I read the answer to Carlos, but don't know what to do. What's a
            > 'droplet'? and where do I
            > put them after I've extracted them? I back-saved a couple of my
            > WP11 files to WP6, as 3.5
            > says that it can save to WP6. My WPWin files are on a ZIP disk, but
            > WPMac only sees the
            > folders they're in, not the files themselves. But when I try 'save
            > as' it shows me the files.
            >
            > I'm kind of in a hurry with this, too, as I only have a few days in
            > which I can return this Mac
            > and get my money back. I'm not sure I want to do that, but my
            > writing is paramount and if
            > I can't write comfortably on this very expensive PowerBook, I can't
            > afford to keep it.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Micki

            Tison Campbell
            tac6f@...
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 28, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Sunshine" <sunshine9477@y...> wrote:

              > I'm a writer and between my novel and my short stories, I
              > have thousands of pages in WP for Windows. First, I made
              > an emulated PC and tried to run WP9. But it ran slow, and
              > the text was funny. Then I d'led WP3.5e and got it up and
              > running. But I can't convert my files.

              > I read the answer to Carlos, but don't know what to do.
              > What's a `droplet'? and where do I put them after I've
              > extracted them? I back saved a couple of my WP11 files to
              > WP6, as 3.5 says that it can save to WP6. My WPWin files
              > are on a ZIP disk, but WPMac only sees the folders they're
              > in, not the files themselves. But when I try `save as' it
              > shows me the files.

              If I understand Smokey's posts here, WP11 and WP6 have
              the same file format. Go to the Files section here, to the
              Conversions folder, and download "Batch_Set_WP_PC_Type-
              Creator.sit ", "Conversion Droplets 1.0.1.sit", and
              "Opening & Converting in WP Mac".

              Open the "Conversion Droplets" first. A droplet is a file,
              with an icon. Drag-and-drop a WP11 file on the droplet.
              If that doesn't simply work, see the "Batch" and "Opening"
              documents.
            • Stephen Hinton
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 28, 2005
                As a recent PC-to-Mac convert with literally thousands of files
                transferred to my new G4 that were originally written using WP12
                (*.wpd), I have had great success so far opening them in the
                word-processing program Nisus Express 2.5 (with no questions asked).
                Saving them in rtf format is no problem either because it is Nisus's
                default mode of operation.

                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Sunshine" <sunshine9477@y...> wrote:
                >
                >> I'm a writer and between my novel and my short stories, I
                >> have thousands of pages in WP for Windows. First, I made
                >> an emulated PC and tried to run WP9. But it ran slow, and
                >> the text was funny. Then I d'led WP3.5e and got it up and
                >> running. But I can't convert my files.
                >
                >> I read the answer to Carlos, but don't know what to do.
                >> What's a `droplet'? and where do I put them after I've
                >> extracted them? I back saved a couple of my WP11 files to
                >> WP6, as 3.5 says that it can save to WP6. My WPWin files
                >> are on a ZIP disk, but WPMac only sees the folders they're
                >> in, not the files themselves. But when I try `save as' it
                >> shows me the files.
                >
                >If I understand Smokey's posts here, WP11 and WP6 have
                >the same file format. Go to the Files section here, to the
                >Conversions folder, and download "Batch_Set_WP_PC_Type-
                >Creator.sit ", "Conversion Droplets 1.0.1.sit", and
                >"Opening & Converting in WP Mac".
                >
                >Open the "Conversion Droplets" first. A droplet is a file,
                >with an icon. Drag-and-drop a WP11 file on the droplet.
                >If that doesn't simply work, see the "Batch" and "Opening"
                >documents.
              • Gilbert, Geoffrey S
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 29, 2005
                  The latest version of NeoOffice does not have the J - it's now a port to OSX rather than a port to java that can run under under OSX. It seems very good with WPWin and simple WPMac files - still no success with complex WPMac files (eg. footnotes).

                  Geoff

                  I've found that OpenOffice or NeoOffice/J both work well to convert
                  WP files. From there you can go to Word or just work in Open/
                  NeoOffice. Both programs are free and available from: http://
                  porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

                  If you don't know what X11 is then download NeoOffice/J

                  -Tison
                  On Nov 28, 2005, at 10:20 PM, Sunshine wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I have the same problem that Carlos has. I've used WordPerfect from
                  > V.5.1 for DOS up to
                  > V.11 for Windows. I am almost totally ignorant of Macs and how they
                  > work. {I've only had
                  > this one for less than 3 days}.
                  >
                  > I'm a writer and between my novel and my short stories, I have
                  > thousands of pages in WP
                  > for Windows. First, I made an emulated PC and tried to run WP9. But
                  > it ran slow, and the
                  > text was funny. Then I d'led WP3.5e and got it up and running. But
                  > I can't convert my files.
                  >
                  > I read the answer to Carlos, but don't know what to do. What's a
                  > 'droplet'? and where do I
                  > put them after I've extracted them? I back-saved a couple of my
                  > WP11 files to WP6, as 3.5
                  > says that it can save to WP6. My WPWin files are on a ZIP disk, but
                  > WPMac only sees the
                  > folders they're in, not the files themselves. But when I try 'save
                  > as' it shows me the files.
                  >
                  > I'm kind of in a hurry with this, too, as I only have a few days in
                  > which I can return this Mac
                  > and get my money back. I'm not sure I want to do that, but my
                  > writing is paramount and if
                  > I can't write comfortably on this very expensive PowerBook, I can't
                  > afford to keep it.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Micki

                  Tison Campbell
                  tac6f@...

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Smokey Ardisson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 29, 2005
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoffrey S" <Geoff@e...> wrote:

                    > The latest version of NeoOffice does not have the J - it's now a port to OSX rather than a port to java that can run under under OSX. It seems very good with WPWin and simple WPMac files - still no success with complex WPMac files (eg. footnotes).

                    Funny you should mention that :-) I have some (preliminary) very good news on this front for Geoff and others who've bugged me about this. I just got an email in my inbox from one of the libwpd developers letting me know that there is now partial and experimental support for tables *and* footnotes/endnotes in WP-Mac files in an experimental branch of libwpd.

                    Hopefully this will make it into libwpd 0.8.4 in the next few weeks and then into end-user products like NeoOffice by the end of the year (depending on their release/update schedules)....

                    Smokey
                  • Tracy Gromer
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 29, 2005
                      At last -- someone else with the same problem I had. I just could not make Wpfct work well enough to use it daily on the Mac and could not trade files with the PC users at my office with the Mac. This group was very helpful, but it was all gibberish to me. I'd get all kinds of helpful advice that I could not interpret or follow. I was very bummed, especially since I couldn't send my Mac back. My office ultimately bought me a new notebook PC, because they couldn't stand it any more, and the fabulous G5 is playing music in my kitchen. This must be a huge problem for others too and I am amazed that Wpfct and/or Mac don't do something about it.

                      Good luck with your stuff -- I still have no idea what droplets are either. Or what to do with them.

                      Tracy, short-lived Mac user.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 29, 2005
                        I have been watching this thread for a bit and can offer some small
                        advice as to what "droplets" are. The word itself seems to be a
                        contraction of drop-enabled applet. What it means is, it is a very
                        small, single-purpose application which has "drag and drop" enabled as
                        part of its coding. When dealing with a conversion droplet as we are
                        here, you drag the file's icon over the top of the droplet's icon. Upon
                        releasing the file, the droplet launches then performs its function upon
                        the file.

                        I hope that was simple enough without being too simple,

                        Rick

                      • J Busch
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
                          I have put together a WP Conversion guide that can be found at:

                          http://homepage.mac.com/eagle4031/FileSharing32.html

                          John if you want to add it to the files in this group that would be fine.
                          It was written so that my mom could follow the instructions. So hopefully it might be of some use to newbies that are finding some difficulty with Mac OSX and WP.

                          -Jonathan

                          Sunshine <sunshine9477@...> wrote: Hi,

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@y...> wrote:

                            > I have put together a WP Conversion guide that can be found at:
                            >
                            > http://homepage.mac.com/eagle4031/FileSharing32.html
                            >
                            > John if you want to add it to the files in this group that would be fine.
                            > It was written so that my mom could follow the instructions. So hopefully it might be of
                            some use to newbies that are finding some difficulty with Mac OSX and WP.

                            > -Jonathan

                            Jonathan, this is an excellent guide. I'm trying to find room for it in the Files section, but
                            we're just about at the 20mb limit. Meanwhile, I hope everyone with any questions about
                            conversion downloads this.

                            Thanks!
                            John Re
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@y...> wrote:

                              > I have put together a WP Conversion guide that can be found at:
                              >
                              > http://homepage.mac.com/eagle4031/FileSharing32.html

                              Also available in the Links section here, as "Conversion Guide".

                              Thanks again, Jonathan.

                              John R.
                            • Rick Albright
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 30, 2005
                                A brilliant guide!
                                --Rick Albright

                                On Nov 30, 2005, at 5:30 PM, J Busch wrote:

                                > I have put together a WP Conversion guide that can be found at:
                                >
                                > http://homepage.mac.com/eagle4031/FileSharing32.html
                                >
                                > John if you want to add it to the files in this group that would be
                                > fine.
                                > It was written so that my mom could follow the instructions. So
                                > hopefully it might be of some use to newbies that are finding some
                                > difficulty with Mac OSX and WP.
                                >
                                > -Jonathan
                                >

                                > Sunshine <sunshine9477@...> wrote:     Hi,
                                >
                                > I have the same problem that Carlos has. I've used WordPerfect from
                                > V.5.1 for DOS up to
                                > V.11 for Windows. I am almost totally ignorant of Macs and how they
                                > work. {I've only had
                                > this one for less than 3 days}.
                                >
                                > I'm a writer and between my novel and my short stories, I have
                                > thousands of pages in WP
                                > for Windows. First, I made an emulated PC and tried to run WP9. But
                                > it ran slow, and the
                                > text was funny. Then I d'led WP3.5e and got it up and running. But I
                                > can't convert my files.
                                >
                                > I read the answer to Carlos, but don't know what to do. What's a
                                > 'droplet'? and where do I
                                > put them after I've extracted them? I back-saved a couple of my WP11
                                > files to WP6, as 3.5
                                > says that it can save to WP6. My WPWin files are on a ZIP disk, but
                                > WPMac only sees the
                                > folders they're in, not the files themselves. But when I try 'save
                                > as' it shows me the files.
                                >
                                > I'm kind of in a hurry with this, too, as I only have a few days in
                                > which I can return this Mac
                                > and get my money back. I'm not sure I want to do that, but my writing
                                > is paramount and if
                                > I can't write comfortably on this very expensive PowerBook, I can't
                                > afford to keep it.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Micki
                              • Tracy Gromer
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  Well that did kind of make sense to me. But what's an "applet?" Is it a cute little apple?

                                  Tracy

                                  Tracy Gromer wrote:

                                  > At last -- someone else with the same problem I had. I just could not
                                  > make Wpfct work well enough to use it daily on the Mac and could not
                                  > trade files with the PC users at my office with the Mac. This group
                                  > was very helpful, but it was all gibberish to me. I'd get all kinds
                                  > of helpful advice that I could not interpret or follow. I was very
                                  > bummed, especially since I couldn't send my Mac back. My office
                                  > ultimately bought me a new notebook PC, because they couldn't stand it
                                  > any more, and the fabulous G5 is playing music in my kitchen. This
                                  > must be a huge problem for others too and I am amazed that Wpfct
                                  > and/or Mac don't do something about it.
                                  >
                                  > Good luck with your stuff -- I still have no idea what droplets are
                                  > either. Or what to do with them.
                                  >
                                  > Tracy, short-lived Mac user.

                                • Richard Fallstrom
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                                    Tracy,

                                    An "applet" is a very small, single purpose/function application. An
                                    applet will usually not have a user interface since what it does has
                                    been predetermined. An applet will usually quit when it is done. The
                                    only exception I know to this are a class of applets written for Java.

                                    Is this any clearer?

                                    Rick