Re: [wpmac] footnotes in tables?

  • RjC
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
      my mistake ... the last line should read "The tables have titles
      which are located at the top of each table; we would like to have the
      endnote/footnote number next to the title which would relate to the endnote
      located at the bottom of the table".

      circa 11/2/2005 12:05 AM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        The fundamental problem is that only endnotes can be inserted in a
        table and they always appear at the end of the document, not beneath
        the table, not even on the same page. You can have a footnote for the
        table title if that is outside the table, but that doesn't take you
        too far. You can insert paragraph numbers in a table to which you
        apply superscript and hyperlink the paragraph number to text you
        could place anywhere ... but that's an awful lot of effort for what
        should be a straightforward activity. While not as automated, you can
        place a table in a text box and then manually create pseudo-footnotes
        in the caption box.

        Sorry. WP doesn't do footnotes in a table - very strange.

        Geoff

        >my mistake ... the last line should read "The tables have titles
        >which are located at the top of each table; we would like to have the
        >endnote/footnote number next to the title which would relate to the endnote
        >located at the bottom of the table".
        >

        >circa 11/2/2005 12:05 AM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:
        >
        >> how? I'm having no luck figuring it out. I am only able to get the text to
        >> appear at the end of the document. the number appears at the bottom of the
        >> table and the text appears at the end of the document.
        >>
        >> we have small tables w/ population statistics. The tables have titles at the
        >> top where we need to have the endnote/footnote number which would relate to
        >> the endnote located at the end of the document.
        >>
        >> circa 11/1/2005 3:28 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:
        >>
        >>> Footnotes apparently not. However, you can insert endnotes?
        >>>
        >>> Geoff

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • RjC
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
          hopefully, to make this simpler, we would like to have a endnote within the
          table corresponding to a footnote at the bottom of the same page (as opposed
          to my previous post where I advised we wanted to have the endnote in the
          table). Is this possible?

          Here is what we have: a small table of 5-6 rows, 4 columns in the middle of
          a page. In a cell with the description of one of the column headings, we
          want to have a endnote number corresponding to text at the bottom of the
          same page. I only seem to be able to get it to appear at the end of the
          document, however, when I select new endnote, in the resulting screen, there
          is an options button which brings up a window where "endnote" is selected
          and there are options such as "based on" and "link to" which I thought might
          allow me to get the endnote to the bottom of the page, however, I haven't
          yet been successful. Any thoughts or is this not able to be done?

          thanks for your assistance.

          circa 11/1/2005 6:44 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
            This is where I have to hand over the baton to someone else. Endnotes
            are not my speciality. I have tried moving them to the bottom of the
            page, but I seem to remember that that was something to do with where
            they appear on the last page - they still appeared at the end of the
            document.

            Sorry

            Geoff

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RjC <rjtc@o...> wrote:

              > hopefully, to make this simpler, we would like to have a
              > endnote within the table corresponding to a footnote at
              > the bottom of the same page (as opposed to my previous
              > post where I advised we wanted to have the endnote in the
              > table). Is this possible?

              Try this:

              Enter your notes as endnotes (so they will enter in the
              table) but use Note Editor 5.0, free in the Files section
              here. When your document is finished and formatted (so that
              page breaks are set), leaving some room at the bottom of
              each page and adding hard page breaks, paste each page's
              notes from the Note Editor into that page's footer or into
              body text at the bottom of the page.

              John R.
            • RjC
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
                John & Geoff: thank's so much for your reply's. Once we learned that we
                couldn't use footnotes/endnotes in tables, at least in the way we wanted, we
                decided to remove the 2 tables so we could footnotes. Again, many thanks
                for your time. rich

                circa 11/2/2005 6:34 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined: