Re: [wpmac] Re: [ANN] Word > WP 1.1

  • J Busch
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
      I am sure that an updated RTF filter would be a big
      project. But what is required to write an updated
      filter? What documentation is out there for creating
      a WP filter? Is this something that has to be
      reversed engineered or did Corel leave documentation
      for third party filters?
      Just wondering where one might start.
      -Jonathan

      --- John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

      > > Great Applescript! I was just starting a Pages RTF
      > > converter, but you beat me to it. I am getting an
      > > error though after Pages converts the file, I
      > think it
      > > has to do with a dialog box which pops up to tell
      > that
      > > there were elements of the file that didn't
      > convert.
      > > I will see if I can help debug it.
      >
      > Thanks! I did the Pages part with the demo, and it
      > expired before I could get the UI scripting as
      > stable
      > as I'd like.
      >
      > > Actually this gives be another idea with TextEdit.
      > > Since it can read .xml files a .xml filter to .wpd
      > > through the use of .rtf should be possible.
      >
      > I looked at xml and noticed that formatting codes
      > are
      > similar to WP formatting codes, in that they're
      > placed
      > inline and affect formatting until a subsequent
      > code.
      > WP macros could import xml by searching for its
      > codes and replacing them with WP codes, i.e. by
      > executing the relevant program command at that
      > point, and could export xml by searching for WP
      > formatting codes and replacing them with the xml
      > equivalent, then saving the document as text. I'm
      > starting from scratch in figuring out xml.
      >
      > What WP _really_ needs at this point to stay viable,
      >
      > though, is an updated RTF filter. The current one
      > dates from 1993, and RTF has evolved a great deal
      > since then.
      >
      > John R.
    • gero_herrmann
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@y...> wrote:

        > I am sure that an updated RTF filter would be a big
        > project. But what is required to write an updated
        > filter? What documentation is out there for creating
        > a WP filter? Is this something that has to be
        > reversed engineered or did Corel leave documentation
        > for third party filters?
        > Just wondering where one might start.

        Easier than updating the "RTF Conversions" file in the "Conversions" folder may be creating
        a standalone conversion tool for converting between RTF and the WP 4.0 file format. This
        would have the advantage to not require Classic. If written in Perl, the conversion tool
        will also run on Mac OS 9 in MacPerl. A starting point could be the available
        RTF::HTML::Converter Perl module, which builds on the RTF::Parser module.

        http://search.cpan.org/~sargie/RTF-Parser-1.09/

        My suggestion would be to create an analogous RTF::WordPerfect::Converter module.

        Gero Herrmann
        Wiesbaden, Germany
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@y...>
          wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am sure that an updated RTF filter would be a big
          > > project. But what is required to write an updated
          > > filter? What documentation is out there for creating
          > > a WP filter? Is this something that has to be
          > > reversed engineered or did Corel leave documentation
          > > for third party filters?
          > > Just wondering where one might start.

          We have the file format, and RTF's is published. Just a matter of finding
          people with the capability and time.

          > Easier than updating the "RTF Conversions" file in the "Conversions"
          > folder may be creating a standalone conversion tool for converting
          > between RTF and the WP 4.0 file format. This would have the
          > advantage to not require Classic. If written in Perl, the conversion tool
          > will also run on Mac OS 9 in MacPerl. A starting point could be the available
          > RTF::HTML::Converter Perl module, which builds on the RTF::Parser module.
          >
          > http://search.cpan.org/~sargie/RTF-Parser-1.09/
          >
          > My suggestion would be to create an analogous RTF::WordPerfect::Converter
          > module.

          This is a _terrific_ idea. Could we get a joint project going? Group
          membership is approaching 800; if half a dozen of us can do Perl...

          I don't know how many people have stopped using WPMac since
          conversion to and from Word isn't very good. This could make a big
          difference.