Re: [wpmac] footnotes in tables?

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
      Footnotes apparently not. However, you can insert endnotes?

      Geoff

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        Ditto in columns.

        > Footnotes apparently not. However, you can insert endnotes?
        >
        > Geoff
        >
        > >is it possible to place footnotes in tables? Can someone with
        > >knowledge of how provide specific instructions ... many thanks
        > >for assistance. rich
      • RjC
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
          how? I'm having no luck figuring it out. I am only able to get the text to
          appear at the end of the document. the number appears at the bottom of the
          table and the text appears at the end of the document.

          we have small tables w/ population statistics. The tables have titles at the
          top where we need to have the endnote/footnote number which would relate to
          the endnote located at the end of the document.

          circa 11/1/2005 3:28 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:

          > Footnotes apparently not. However, you can insert endnotes?
          >
          > Geoff
          >

          >> is it possible to place footnotes in tables? Can someone with
          >> knowledge of how provide specific instructions ... many thanks
          >> for assistance. rich
        • RjC
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
            my mistake ... the last line should read "The tables have titles
            which are located at the top of each table; we would like to have the
            endnote/footnote number next to the title which would relate to the endnote
            located at the bottom of the table".

            circa 11/2/2005 12:05 AM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
              The fundamental problem is that only endnotes can be inserted in a
              table and they always appear at the end of the document, not beneath
              the table, not even on the same page. You can have a footnote for the
              table title if that is outside the table, but that doesn't take you
              too far. You can insert paragraph numbers in a table to which you
              apply superscript and hyperlink the paragraph number to text you
              could place anywhere ... but that's an awful lot of effort for what
              should be a straightforward activity. While not as automated, you can
              place a table in a text box and then manually create pseudo-footnotes
              in the caption box.

              Sorry. WP doesn't do footnotes in a table - very strange.

              Geoff

              >my mistake ... the last line should read "The tables have titles
              >which are located at the top of each table; we would like to have the
              >endnote/footnote number next to the title which would relate to the endnote
              >located at the bottom of the table".
              >

              >circa 11/2/2005 12:05 AM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:
              >
              >> how? I'm having no luck figuring it out. I am only able to get the text to
              >> appear at the end of the document. the number appears at the bottom of the
              >> table and the text appears at the end of the document.
              >>
              >> we have small tables w/ population statistics. The tables have titles at the
              >> top where we need to have the endnote/footnote number which would relate to
              >> the endnote located at the end of the document.
              >>
              >> circa 11/1/2005 3:28 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:
              >>
              >>> Footnotes apparently not. However, you can insert endnotes?
              >>>
              >>> Geoff

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • RjC
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                hopefully, to make this simpler, we would like to have a endnote within the
                table corresponding to a footnote at the bottom of the same page (as opposed
                to my previous post where I advised we wanted to have the endnote in the
                table). Is this possible?

                Here is what we have: a small table of 5-6 rows, 4 columns in the middle of
                a page. In a cell with the description of one of the column headings, we
                want to have a endnote number corresponding to text at the bottom of the
                same page. I only seem to be able to get it to appear at the end of the
                document, however, when I select new endnote, in the resulting screen, there
                is an options button which brings up a window where "endnote" is selected
                and there are options such as "based on" and "link to" which I thought might
                allow me to get the endnote to the bottom of the page, however, I haven't
                yet been successful. Any thoughts or is this not able to be done?

                thanks for your assistance.

                circa 11/1/2005 6:44 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                  This is where I have to hand over the baton to someone else. Endnotes
                  are not my speciality. I have tried moving them to the bottom of the
                  page, but I seem to remember that that was something to do with where
                  they appear on the last page - they still appeared at the end of the
                  document.

                  Sorry

                  Geoff

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RjC <rjtc@o...> wrote:

                    > hopefully, to make this simpler, we would like to have a
                    > endnote within the table corresponding to a footnote at
                    > the bottom of the same page (as opposed to my previous
                    > post where I advised we wanted to have the endnote in the
                    > table). Is this possible?

                    Try this:

                    Enter your notes as endnotes (so they will enter in the
                    table) but use Note Editor 5.0, free in the Files section
                    here. When your document is finished and formatted (so that
                    page breaks are set), leaving some room at the bottom of
                    each page and adding hard page breaks, paste each page's
                    notes from the Note Editor into that page's footer or into
                    body text at the bottom of the page.

                    John R.
                  • RjC
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
                      John & Geoff: thank's so much for your reply's. Once we learned that we
                      couldn't use footnotes/endnotes in tables, at least in the way we wanted, we
                      decided to remove the 2 tables so we could footnotes. Again, many thanks
                      for your time. rich

                      circa 11/2/2005 6:34 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined: