footnotes in tables?

  • rjtc5
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
      is it possible to place footnotes in tables? Can someone with
      knowledge of how provide specific instructions ... many thanks
      for assistance. rich
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        Footnotes apparently not. However, you can insert endnotes?

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
          Ditto in columns.

          > Footnotes apparently not. However, you can insert endnotes?
          >
          > Geoff
          >
          > >is it possible to place footnotes in tables? Can someone with
          > >knowledge of how provide specific instructions ... many thanks
          > >for assistance. rich
        • RjC
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
            how? I'm having no luck figuring it out. I am only able to get the text to
            appear at the end of the document. the number appears at the bottom of the
            table and the text appears at the end of the document.

            we have small tables w/ population statistics. The tables have titles at the
            top where we need to have the endnote/footnote number which would relate to
            the endnote located at the end of the document.

            circa 11/1/2005 3:28 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:

            > Footnotes apparently not. However, you can insert endnotes?
            >
            > Geoff
            >

            >> is it possible to place footnotes in tables? Can someone with
            >> knowledge of how provide specific instructions ... many thanks
            >> for assistance. rich
          • RjC
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
              my mistake ... the last line should read "The tables have titles
              which are located at the top of each table; we would like to have the
              endnote/footnote number next to the title which would relate to the endnote
              located at the bottom of the table".

              circa 11/2/2005 12:05 AM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                The fundamental problem is that only endnotes can be inserted in a
                table and they always appear at the end of the document, not beneath
                the table, not even on the same page. You can have a footnote for the
                table title if that is outside the table, but that doesn't take you
                too far. You can insert paragraph numbers in a table to which you
                apply superscript and hyperlink the paragraph number to text you
                could place anywhere ... but that's an awful lot of effort for what
                should be a straightforward activity. While not as automated, you can
                place a table in a text box and then manually create pseudo-footnotes
                in the caption box.

                Sorry. WP doesn't do footnotes in a table - very strange.

                Geoff

                >my mistake ... the last line should read "The tables have titles
                >which are located at the top of each table; we would like to have the
                >endnote/footnote number next to the title which would relate to the endnote
                >located at the bottom of the table".
                >

                >circa 11/2/2005 12:05 AM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:
                >
                >> how? I'm having no luck figuring it out. I am only able to get the text to
                >> appear at the end of the document. the number appears at the bottom of the
                >> table and the text appears at the end of the document.
                >>
                >> we have small tables w/ population statistics. The tables have titles at the
                >> top where we need to have the endnote/footnote number which would relate to
                >> the endnote located at the end of the document.
                >>
                >> circa 11/1/2005 3:28 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:
                >>
                >>> Footnotes apparently not. However, you can insert endnotes?
                >>>
                >>> Geoff

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • RjC
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                  hopefully, to make this simpler, we would like to have a endnote within the
                  table corresponding to a footnote at the bottom of the same page (as opposed
                  to my previous post where I advised we wanted to have the endnote in the
                  table). Is this possible?

                  Here is what we have: a small table of 5-6 rows, 4 columns in the middle of
                  a page. In a cell with the description of one of the column headings, we
                  want to have a endnote number corresponding to text at the bottom of the
                  same page. I only seem to be able to get it to appear at the end of the
                  document, however, when I select new endnote, in the resulting screen, there
                  is an options button which brings up a window where "endnote" is selected
                  and there are options such as "based on" and "link to" which I thought might
                  allow me to get the endnote to the bottom of the page, however, I haven't
                  yet been successful. Any thoughts or is this not able to be done?

                  thanks for your assistance.

                  circa 11/1/2005 6:44 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined:

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                    This is where I have to hand over the baton to someone else. Endnotes
                    are not my speciality. I have tried moving them to the bottom of the
                    page, but I seem to remember that that was something to do with where
                    they appear on the last page - they still appeared at the end of the
                    document.

                    Sorry

                    Geoff

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RjC <rjtc@o...> wrote:

                      > hopefully, to make this simpler, we would like to have a
                      > endnote within the table corresponding to a footnote at
                      > the bottom of the same page (as opposed to my previous
                      > post where I advised we wanted to have the endnote in the
                      > table). Is this possible?

                      Try this:

                      Enter your notes as endnotes (so they will enter in the
                      table) but use Note Editor 5.0, free in the Files section
                      here. When your document is finished and formatted (so that
                      page breaks are set), leaving some room at the bottom of
                      each page and adding hard page breaks, paste each page's
                      notes from the Note Editor into that page's footer or into
                      body text at the bottom of the page.

                      John R.
                    • RjC
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
                        John & Geoff: thank's so much for your reply's. Once we learned that we
                        couldn't use footnotes/endnotes in tables, at least in the way we wanted, we
                        decided to remove the 2 tables so we could footnotes. Again, many thanks
                        for your time. rich

                        circa 11/2/2005 6:34 PM, "[rjc]" <[rjtc@...]> opined: