Re: [wpmac] Re: Open Word files in WordPerfect (was Re: Help! Convert WordPerfect files to Word for Mac?)

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2005
      Tracy Gromer said:

      >Yes, I’Äôm running Tiger, but when I use WP for Mac it opens in classic. It
      >would be a step in the right direction for it to work in Tiger.

      There is no OS X-native version of WP/Mac. You can only use it in the
      Classic environment.

      WP/Mac is a discontinued product for which there will be no further
      development (read: no OS X-native version is on its way), and it is
      unsupported by Corel.

      On the other hand, its free, and you have free support here.

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2005
        Dear Tracy

        1) WP Mac will always run in Classic.

        2) The updater will make WP behave better on screen in Classic.

        3) Despite the fact it runs in Classic, you'd
        never know now that Tiger (10.4.2?) is your OS -
        printing is through OSX, which was about the only
        thing in pre-Tiger that depended on an OS9 driver.

        4) WP Mac does much the same as WPWin, but it is
        a different programme. You will find that there
        are some things that cannot be done on the Mac,
        some things that are done in a different way, and
        some things that will be wholly new. You'll need
        to play around with the programme - and you don't
        sound as if you have the time.

        5) John Rethorst and a host of others have
        produced macros and other fixes to give WP Mac
        greater functionality, but you need to try them
        out - nothing is ever straight off the peg in the
        computer world.

        6) Courts the world over are sticklers for
        consistency. There is no guarantee that a
        template for Windows will look identical on the
        Mac nor after completion and export (although
        viewing it as pdf before sending is a good way of
        checking). As the editor of a law journal, I have
        to use Word to be able to communicate with the
        publishers and some typesetting depends on a
        macro that only runs in Word for Windows which my
        administrator has to apply. Sometimes there is no
        solution.

        7) I battle against moving over to Windows on a
        regular basis and I succeed because I can work
        out solutions (and because the network
        administrators know Macs are less hassle than
        Windows).

        Sorry to be negative, but it's the court thing ....

        Geoff