Re: Open Word files in WordPerfect (was Re: Help! Convert WordPerfect files to Word for Mac?)

  • Tracy Gromer
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
      Thanks much. I know there are lots of things on the web and files and stuff
      and I¹ve already got every converter known to man, but my problems are not
      just conversion ‹ my problem is that Mac 3.5e is just unusable ‹ I cannot
      scroll in it and it looks like something from the 70s on my screen (would go
      nicely with a round of Pong). I¹ve used WP for 17 years on a PC, but this
      Mac version sucks. I cannot do anything with it. I¹m a lawyer and I need
      to have things on pleading paper and I cannot get any pleading to convert
      from a PC version to the Mac version and then I have to convert it back to a
      PC version for my office to use it and I cannot see what that looks like,
      because once I convert it to a PC version, I can¹t open it on the Mac. It¹s
      a mega pain in the butt. I¹d try some of the upgrades or whatever from your
      files on the web, but beyond hitting a button to download them and get them
      to my desktop on the Mac, I have not flippin¹ idea what to do with them,
      where to put them, how to use them, etc., because I¹m not a computer expert
      and I¹ve never had a Mac before. I read an e-mail on how to make 3.5e
      operate in Tiger, and it was like another language ‹ I tried to follow it ‹
      tried to find the Get Info thing and make WP operate in OS X, but I couldn¹t
      figure out how to do what was in that e-mail. So short of someone like you
      sitting at my machine and making this 3.5e thing work so that I can use it
      without wanting to scream, I¹ll have to go back to a PC. Did I mention the
      District Court here has gone all electronic filing and will not accept
      anything but WP documents? Nice for the Mac users out there.

      If you think you can help me, I¹d welcome it. Let me know.

      tracy

      From: John Rethorst <jrethorst@...>
      Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:53:05 -0000
      To: <wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [wpmac] Open Word files in WordPerfect (was Re: Help! Convert

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Tracy Gromer <tagromer@m...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know a person in the Phoenix area who could do a site visit to
      > see if they can make my WP mac 3.5e run better for me, so that I can use it
      > to exchange WP documents with the PC users at my office?

      Tracy, have you looked through the Files > Conversions sections here?
      There's a lot of
      good stuff, utility conversion programs and discussion, mainly contributed
      by Smokey
      Ardisson and Ed Mendelson, on this.

      I hope someone can do a site visit but, if not and the Files > Conversions
      material isn't
      helpful (although Smokey's showed us how to convert everything but a lawn
      mower to and
      from the PC), your very specific questions here might help. You could email
      me files that
      I'd post in Files > Temporary Items for us to look at.

      Failing that, I'm nowhere near Phoenix but could be available by phone to
      walk through
      stuff. I've done very little PC conversion myself, though. That's not the
      best solution, but:

      >This is important
      > and my last chance to save the Mac before they make me get a new PC.

      is much worse.