Re: Help! Convert WordPerfect files to Word for Mac?

  • Richard Strean
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
      WordPerfect for Mac runs fine for me under Tiger, too, but only as a Classic
      application. I can't get a document to accept WP Mac as the desired
      application and I was assuming that the reason was that it's a classic and
      not a Tiger app. Am I wrong?

      On 8 Oct 2005 21:03:44 -0000, wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com <
      wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 11:53:28 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Thomas Briant <thomasbriant@...>
      > Subject: Re: Help! Convert WordPerfect files to Word for Mac?
      >
      > WordPerfect for Mac runs fine under Tiger for me. You
      > may need to use Get Info to set the Windows documents
      > to use Wordperfect for Mac as their desired
      > application.
      >
      > Tom Briant
      > Editor
      > MacValley Voice
      > Northridge, CA

    • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
        Try the following:

        close WP

        locate a bunch of Wp Mac documents.

        select them ( about 4 or 5 will be adaquate.

        do command I (Getinfo)

        select WordPerfect as the default application. click on button that say
        change for all documents of this type(?) then quite out of Get info.

        now try double clicking on the document.

        Or try this.

        locate the WP application and drag its icon to the dock.

        when you want to open a document drag the document and drop on to the WP
        icon on the dock. This will open document as well.

      • RBRoufberg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
          I have just the opposite problem - trying to convert incoming MS Word
          documents to WordPerfect, which I use on my OS X Tiger. Pre-OS X, CanOpener has
          always converted Word documents with full formatting, but the new CanOpener 5.0
          for MacOSX opens them only in plain text. Has anyone had this problem? Have
          you solved it?

          Ruth R.
        • Thomas Briant
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2005
            Under OS X Get Info, you have the option to select the
            application to open the file with. As far as I can
            tell, that's where you at. Get Info shows you a column
            of OS X applications and then you see "Other" at the
            bottom. That's the secret.

            Click on "Other" and you'll see a File Selector for OS
            X applications. I assume you put WordPerfect under
            "Applications (OS 9)". Navigate to the folder where
            you put WordPerfect.

            Find the "Corel WordPerfect 3.5 Enhanced" folder and
            open it. What? You can't select WordPerfect because
            it's dimmed? What has happened?

            Look at the top for the box that says "Recommended
            Applications" which has up and down arrows to the
            right of it. Click on those arrows and you see an
            additional selection of "All Applications" Click on
            that. Now you can select WordPerfect.

            If this process seems too complicated, go to the Files
            section of this group and select John Rethorst's
            droplets to change the type and creator codes for WP
            5.1 and WP 6-12 files,

            Tom Briant