Re: Google/Sun To Challenge Microsoft in Applications!

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@m...> wrote:

      > For the many folks who have complained that they would like an
      > alternative word processor to Microsoft Word, this news item is very
      > interesting:
      >
      > Google, Sun To Bring StarOffice To Web
      > http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,105148,00.html?nlid=AM
      >
      > This is going to give Microsoft conniptions. How can they compete
      > against an open-standards, free, software suite available cross-platform
      > on the Web?

      With difficulty! For some more on the future of the US fiber-optic
      network and distributed computing (now coming to be called
      "Google-mashing"), see
      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/05/technology/techspecial/05markoff.html

      I hope that, along the way, Google doesn't become as imperious as
      Microsoft, although human nature suggests otherwise. Google was
      apparently displeased with a report by CNET and announced that they
      would talk to no one from that organization for a year. Not much funÂ…