Google/Sun To Challenge Microsoft in Applications!

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
      For the many folks who have complained that they would like an
      alternative word processor to Microsoft Word, this news item is very
      interesting:

      Google, Sun To Bring StarOffice To Web
      http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,105148,00.html?nlid=AM

      This is going to give Microsoft conniptions. How can they compete
      against an open-standards, free, software suite available cross-platform
      on the Web?

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@m...> wrote:

        > For the many folks who have complained that they would like an
        > alternative word processor to Microsoft Word, this news item is very
        > interesting:
        >
        > Google, Sun To Bring StarOffice To Web
        > http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,105148,00.html?nlid=AM
        >
        > This is going to give Microsoft conniptions. How can they compete
        > against an open-standards, free, software suite available cross-platform
        > on the Web?

        With difficulty! For some more on the future of the US fiber-optic
        network and distributed computing (now coming to be called
        "Google-mashing"), see
        http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/05/technology/techspecial/05markoff.html

        I hope that, along the way, Google doesn't become as imperious as
        Microsoft, although human nature suggests otherwise. Google was
        apparently displeased with a report by CNET and announced that they
        would talk to no one from that organization for a year. Not much funÂ…