Re: [wpmac] Future of WordPerfect Redux

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@m...> wrote:

      > Corel developed a version of WordPerfect for Java that had an interface
      > that was practically indistinguishable from WP/Mac. I played with it
      > myself at Macworld Expo a number of years ago.
      >
      > Java is a native application language for OS X. So, the Java version of
      > WP could be released for the Mac now, and it is probably ready to go with
      > very little or no modification.
      >
      > Corel shelved the Java version of WP, and never released it.
      >
      > But as I have stated previously, there have been several experiences that
      > lead me to believe that the stumbling block isn't the effort or expense
      > necessary to come up with an updated version of WP/Mac. I actually think
      > that that would be the easy part. I think that it would be all of the
      > stuff that would accompany marketing a new Mac WP product that Corel
      > wants to have nothing to do with.

      This is hard to understand. Corel makes money by developing and marketing
      software. If a market has been identified, and the company does not have
      a product for it, it has a decision to make. But if the product is there now,
      and there are no issues of amortization of development costs, why on earth
      doesn't Corel release it? They could make it a web download (no printing
      or distribution costs), charge for support etc. Every sale is pure profit.

      John R.
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
        John Rethorst said:

        >This is hard to understand. Corel makes money by developing and marketing
        >software. If a market has been identified, and the company does not have
        >a product for it, it has a decision to make. But if the product is there now,
        >and there are no issues of amortization of development costs, why on earth
        >doesn't Corel release it? They could make it a web download (no printing
        >or distribution costs), charge for support etc. Every sale is pure profit.

        I think that Corel, with WordPerfect, is sort of in the position that
        Apple was just before the release of the iMac (which was the product that
        started the reversal in Apple's fortunes.)

        If you will recall, Apple was in a nasty financial situation, and had
        made the decision to market only to their "creative" core markets
        (publishing, graphics, etc.) and to discontinue all efforts towards
        marketing to other markets, especially the vertical (business) markets.
        Overnight Apple lost a ton of users among real estate professionals,
        doctors, lawyers, etc.

        No one understood the move at the time. It made little sense to most of
        us that abandoning markets where Apple was moderately successful could be
        a good thing. But apparently it worked. Apple retrenched, and then as
        they became more solid, they expanded back into the markets that had been
        abandoned. First the consumer market (with the iMac) and then latter
        they retured to most other markets.

        I think that Corel is where Apple was just before the introduction of the
        iMac. WordPerfect/Windows has a niche, and it is profitable. It is even
        growing in popularity as more and more users are getting tired of
        Microsoft's licensing scheme for Office. But I don't think that Corel
        wants to over-extend itself. Even selling software from a Web site
        doesn't cost nothing, and I doubt that a corporation like Corel would
        find that sort of retail model to be professional enough for them

        My (wild) guess (based on next to nothing, I don't have any inside
        information on this) is that Corel is grooming WordPerfect to be
        attractive enough to be sold to another company at some point. That
        would allow Corel to concentrate on the graphics products that they have
        traditionally specialized in. (Some of those products are potentially
        very hot, such as Painter, which Corel has done very little to promote.)

        But it couldn't hurt for folks to write to Corel and ask that
        WordPerfect/Java be dusted off and made available commercially. But I
        predict that doing so would be a waste of time. Corel has already made
        it clear that the problem with re-introducing a WordPerfect product for
        the Mac isn't making the software work.

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • R. Kevin Hill
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
          I thought I had addressed this, but perhaps my claim had been refuted
          and I missed it? Many years ago, Corel and Microsoft entered into a
          contract. I don't recall what MS gave them (money I think, I think
          they were in trouble at the time) and in exchange Corel agreed to
          shelve WPMac permanently, in order to give MSWord a monopoly on the
          Mac platform, while giving their only serious competition on the
          Windows platform a boost in terms of drawing people to Windows, also
          an MS product, away from Mac. Whether this was a good idea or not I
          don't know, but the upshot is that MS *paid* Corel to kill it and they
          did, and the result is that Word is the monopoly program on the Mac
          platform. Thus no technical obstacles are relevant and it can never be
          revived unless MS says so, which they won't.

          Am I wrong?

          On 10/2/05, John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@m...> wrote:
          >
          > > Corel developed a version of WordPerfect for Java that had an interface
          > > that was practically indistinguishable from WP/Mac. I played with it
          > > myself at Macworld Expo a number of years ago.
          > >
          > > Java is a native application language for OS X. So, the Java version of
          > > WP could be released for the Mac now, and it is probably ready to go with
          > > very little or no modification.
          > >
          > > Corel shelved the Java version of WP, and never released it.
          > >
          > > But as I have stated previously, there have been several experiences that
          > > lead me to believe that the stumbling block isn't the effort or expense
          > > necessary to come up with an updated version of WP/Mac. I actually think
          > > that that would be the easy part. I think that it would be all of the
          > > stuff that would accompany marketing a new Mac WP product that Corel
          > > wants to have nothing to do with.
          >
          > This is hard to understand. Corel makes money by developing and marketing
          > software. If a market has been identified, and the company does not have
          > a product for it, it has a decision to make. But if the product is there
          > now,
          > and there are no issues of amortization of development costs, why on earth
          > doesn't Corel release it? They could make it a web download (no printing
          > or distribution costs), charge for support etc. Every sale is pure profit.

          R. Kevin Hill
          Portland State University
        • Graham Wilson
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
            Sounds frighteningly like the kind of thing MS would do. Did anyone say
            anti-trust? ;-)

            Graham W

            On 3 Oct 2005, at 1:51 pm, R. Kevin Hill wrote:

            > I thought I had addressed this, but perhaps my claim had been refuted
            > and I missed it? Many years ago, Corel and Microsoft entered into a
            > contract. I don't recall what MS gave them (money I think, I think
            > they were in trouble at the time) and in exchange Corel agreed to
            > shelve WPMac permanently, in order to give MSWord a monopoly on the
            > Mac platform, while giving their only serious competition on the
            > Windows platform a boost in terms of drawing people to Windows, also
            > an MS product, away from Mac. Whether this was a good idea or not I
            > don't know, but the upshot is that MS *paid* Corel to kill it and they
            > did, and the result is that Word is the monopoly program on the Mac
            > platform. Thus no technical obstacles are relevant and it can never be
            > revived unless MS says so, which they won't.
            >
            > Am I wrong?
          • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
              Randy B.Singer wrote:
              > Rick Mansfield said:
              >
              > >In reflecting on the answers to the question I posted a few days ago, I
              > >had another thought.
              > >In a sense, isn't there a version of WordPerfect native to OS X
              > >already...more specifically, the
              > >version written for NeXTStep? Would this version run as is in OS X? Or if
              > >not, how much would
              > >it have to be tweaked to work? Who holds the rights to this version? And
              > >who developed it?
              > >Corel? Novel? WordPerfect Corp?
              > >
              > >Has this been proposed before--to modify the NeXTStep version of
              > >WordPerfect for OS X?
              >

              > This has been discussed previously on this list. In fact, it is not even
              > the best/easiest solution for coming up with an OS X-native version of
              > WP.
              >
              > Corel developed a version of WordPerfect for Java that had an interface
              > that was practically indistinguishable from WP/Mac. I played with it
              > myself at Macworld Expo a number of years ago.
              >
              > Java is a native application language for OS X. So, the Java version of
              > WP could be released for the Mac now, and it is probably ready to go with
              > very little or no modification.
              >
              > Corel shelved the Java version of WP, and never released it.
              >
              > But as I have stated previously, there have been several experiences that
              > lead me to believe that the stumbling block isn't the effort or expense
              > necessary to come up with an updated version of WP/Mac. I actually think
              > that that would be the easy part. I think that it would be all of the
              > stuff that would accompany marketing a new Mac WP product that Corel
              > wants to have nothing to do with.
              >

              > Randy B. Singer
              > Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
              >
              > Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
              > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

              If that's the problem why doesn't Corel sell WordPerfect to someone else.

              I mean the Mac, PC, Linux, Unix versions period. Since they want to go
              strictly into Graphics which was their Forte before buying WordPerfect.

              They are dumb or stubborn?

              If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

              mailto:pjones@...
            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
                Phillip Jones, C.E.T. said:

                >If that's the problem why doesn't Corel sell WordPerfect to someone else.
                >
                >I mean the Mac, PC, Linux, Unix versions period. Since they want to go
                >strictly into Graphics which was their Forte before buying WordPerfect.
                >
                >They are dumb or stubborn?

                This has already been addressed on this list several times. Corel has
                indicated that they don't want to sell the WP/Mac product to someone else
                because they fear that such a product in the hands of another company
                might reflect badly on the WP/Win product and devalue it.

                (Which is one of the reasons that I suspect that Corel is grooming WP to