Future of WordPerfect Redux

  • Rick Mansfield
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
      In reflecting on the answers to the question I posted a few days ago, I had another thought.
      In a sense, isn't there a version of WordPerfect native to OS X already...more specifically, the
      version written for NeXTStep? Would this version run as is in OS X? Or if not, how much would
      it have to be tweaked to work? Who holds the rights to this version? And who developed it?
      Corel? Novel? WordPerfect Corp?

      Has this been proposed before--to modify the NeXTStep version of WordPerfect for OS X?
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mansfield"
        <rmansfield@m...> wrote:

        > In reflecting on the answers to the question I
        > posted a few days ago, I had another thought.
        > In a sense, isn't there a version of WordPerfect
        > for OS X? Or if not, how much would it have to be
        > tweaked to work? Who holds the rights to this
        > version? And who developed it? Corel? Novel?
        > WordPerfect Corp?
        >
        > Has this been proposed before--to modify
        > the NeXTStep version of WordPerfect for OS X?

        It might work, with a recompile. The Linux version
        might too. I don't know how much support for the Mac
        GUI these would have. IAC at least the Linux version
        is much more like the Windows version than the Mac
        version, i.e. not much like the Mac version at all.
        Just for myself, it was always the WP Mac interface
        that I liked; these other versions might as well be
        from other companies.

        John R.
      • R. Kevin Hill
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          Thanks for clearing that up--this was just hearsay which sounded
          plausible, but I had never looked into ay of it personally. I guess I
          don't quite see the "not even MS" part, since they've done some pretty
          dumb things before (they weren't clever enough to discourage antitrust
          suits from occurring in the first place, and antitrust law is
          notoriously subjective in any case), but I will take your statements
          below as factual. Thank you again.