Re: [wpmac] Future of WordPerfect

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
      Dwight Williams said:

      >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@m...> wrote:
      >> As near as I can tell, Corel has zero interest in the Macintosh market,
      >> but they don't want to let go of the code for the Mac product because
      >> they are concerned that a Mac version of WP might reflect badly on the
      >> Windows product and decrease its value.
      >
      >And whatever money they'd lose on the Windows version might well be
      >regained on the Mac version, so that logic doesn't quite hold up in my
      >eyes.
      >
      >Yours as a past marketing student,

      As a "past marketing student" you undoubtedly know that the costs
      involved with bringing an updated version of WP/Mac to market, and
      attempting to ensure that it is an economic success, are far from zero.
      And that success is still not a sure thing.

      Corel would have to hire Mac programmers to update the product, they
      would have to train and pay Mac support staff, and they would have to do
      a bunch of advertising. Presumably Corel knows something about the
      potential return, on those expenditures, since they have marketed a
      version of WP/Mac previously. One might assume that they have weighed
      the potential return against the necessary investment, and that they have
      judged the investment not to be warranted.

      It might also be that Corel has a business plan that we aren't privvy to.
      They may be grooming WP to be sold to a new company at some point.

      If one knows the history of WP/Mac, one shouldn't be too surprised that
      the managers at Corel are reticent to have anything to do with the Mac,
      and Apple, ever again. Corel worked closely with Apple on WP/Mac. They
      bought into Apple's OpenDoc technology in a big way, and then Apple
      pulled the rug out from under them and they were left with a huge
      investment in code that was close to worthless.

      Also note that there are other word processors for the Mac on the market
      now: Apple's own Pages, AppleWorks, Nisus, RagTime, MarinerWrite,
      ThinkFree, Papyrus, and several free open-source products: AbiWord,
      OpenOffice, NeoOffice-J. Corel may not want to have to go up against
      this competition. They also may have looked at this competition, seen
      how successful each individually are, and concluded that there is no
      longer a lot of money to be made in the Mac market.

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html