Re: Future of WordPerfect

  • Dwight Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2005
      If there's one thing that corporate leader types hate
      to do, it's to permanently close the door on a chance
      at some additional profitability. That alone may be
      enough to keep Corel from selling off the code assets
      for WP-Mac.

      Which leads me to ask how it is that the assets available
      here came to BE here if I'm not being too rude by asking...

      Yours,

      Dwight
    • Dwight Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@m...> wrote:
        > As near as I can tell, Corel has zero interest in the Macintosh market,
        > but they don't want to let go of the code for the Mac product because
        > they are concerned that a Mac version of WP might reflect badly on the
        > Windows product and decrease its value.

        And whatever money they'd lose on the Windows version might well be
        regained on the Mac version, so that logic doesn't quite hold up in my
        eyes.

        Yours as a past marketing student,

        Dwight
      • russellhwalker
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
          Just to point out the obvious, if WordPerfect is going to continue on
          the Mac platform past Summer 2006, it needs to be ported to Mac OS X.
          Classic support will not be present on the Intel chip version of the
          Mac to which Apple is migrating beginning Summer 2006, so Classic
          programs will not run on Macs released after Summer 2006.
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26, 2005
            Dwight Williams said:

            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@m...> wrote:
            >> As near as I can tell, Corel has zero interest in the Macintosh market,
            >> but they don't want to let go of the code for the Mac product because
            >> they are concerned that a Mac version of WP might reflect badly on the
            >> Windows product and decrease its value.
            >
            >And whatever money they'd lose on the Windows version might well be
            >regained on the Mac version, so that logic doesn't quite hold up in my
            >eyes.
            >
            >Yours as a past marketing student,

            As a "past marketing student" you undoubtedly know that the costs
            involved with bringing an updated version of WP/Mac to market, and
            attempting to ensure that it is an economic success, are far from zero.
            And that success is still not a sure thing.

            Corel would have to hire Mac programmers to update the product, they
            would have to train and pay Mac support staff, and they would have to do
            a bunch of advertising. Presumably Corel knows something about the
            potential return, on those expenditures, since they have marketed a
            version of WP/Mac previously. One might assume that they have weighed
            the potential return against the necessary investment, and that they have
            judged the investment not to be warranted.

            It might also be that Corel has a business plan that we aren't privvy to.
            They may be grooming WP to be sold to a new company at some point.

            If one knows the history of WP/Mac, one shouldn't be too surprised that
            the managers at Corel are reticent to have anything to do with the Mac,
            and Apple, ever again. Corel worked closely with Apple on WP/Mac. They
            bought into Apple's OpenDoc technology in a big way, and then Apple
            pulled the rug out from under them and they were left with a huge
            investment in code that was close to worthless.

            Also note that there are other word processors for the Mac on the market
            now: Apple's own Pages, AppleWorks, Nisus, RagTime, MarinerWrite,
            ThinkFree, Papyrus, and several free open-source products: AbiWord,
            OpenOffice, NeoOffice-J. Corel may not want to have to go up against
            this competition. They also may have looked at this competition, seen
            how successful each individually are, and concluded that there is no
            longer a lot of money to be made in the Mac market.

            Randy B. Singer

            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html