Re: the most basic beginner's question -- how do I unpack w/ my new Mac

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "pcaroom" <pcaroom@h...> wrote:
      > I have downloaded the files recommended from the
      > CSU website. But, I am too stupid to know how to unpack/run, etc., without a Window-ish
      > run or exe pop-up.
      >
      > Just clicking the downloaded WP icon nets me a drop-down that asks me which Mac
      > application I want to run it in. Help! How do I start?

      It looks like the files on that site have been encoded as MacBinary; there are several programs that will decode MacBinary files, the most common of which (and which you'll need for other things WP-Mac-related) is StuffIt Expander. This always used to be installed by default as part of Mac OS X, but beginning with Mac OS X 10.4, it's not, so you'll need to get it from <http://www.allume.com>

      With StuffIt Expander installed, the .bin file should then expand with a double-click (or drag-drop onto StuffIt Expander) into a .sea (self-extracting archive file); double-clicking the .sea should launch Classic and then the archive will expand, producing...the WP-Mac installer (finally)! From there, double click the installer to start, and generally just follow John R's instructions in "Getting Started with WP Mac.pdf" (in this group's files section).

      Hope that gets you back on track :-)

      Smokey