Re: WP Characters

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 21, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...> wrote:
      > I have one problem, however. WP for DOS (and Windows) has a
      > rich collection of special characters called "WP Characters." Two of the
      > sets, Greek Letters and Mathematical Symbols are especially useful to
      > me in the work that I do (as a matter of fact, they are essential). I
      > cannot seem to find these in WP 3.5 for the Mac. Are they there
      > somewhere? If not, how do I get them into my documents?

      (Two caveats about the download: you might have to manually drag the downloaded file to StuffIt Expander in order to get it to uncompress, and if you are running a new install of Mac OS X 10.4.x or perhaps a customized install of an earlier version of Mac OS X, StuffIt Expander is not included, and you'll have to get that, too <http://www.allume.com>. Unfortunately, StuffIt is the only decent format that works across all the Mac OS and Mac OS X versions on which WP-Mac runs....)

      However, characters in existing WP-PC docs won't be translated into the new fonts--they'll appear as ?? boxes--and, IIRC, characters inserted with the Mac versions of the fonts won't be converted into the proper characters when saving as WP-PC, if you need to share with WP-PC-using folks.

      Depending on what your needs are, you might have better luck using the characters built into the standard Mac "Symbol" font and the "WP Equation Fonts" fonts that came with WP-Mac....

      Smokey
    • S Zaveloff
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 22, 2005
        Smokey Ardisson wrote:

        > However, characters in existing WP-PC docs won't be translated into the new
        > fonts--they'll appear as ?? boxes--and, IIRC, characters inserted with the Mac
        > versions of the fonts won't be converted into the proper characters when saving
        > as WP-PC, if you need to share with WP-PC-using folks.
        >
        > Depending on what your needs are, you might have better luck using the
        > characters built into the standard Mac "Symbol" font and the "WP Equation
        > Fonts" fonts that came with WP-Mac....

        Thanks for your help.

        The symbols that come up when I click on Insert-Symbol are rather
        limited in scope and do not have all I need. The equation editor,
        however, does seem to have what I need but when I click on Tools-
        Equation-New, I get an error message saying the equation fonts have
        not been installed in my system. They seem to be there, though. What
        could be going on?

        Steven H. Zaveloff zaveloff@...
        P.O. Box 200203 Tel: (512)219-7142
        Austin, Texas 78720-0203 Fax: (512)233-2770
        http://home.earthlink.net/~zaveloff/

        Thus shall you think of this fleeting world:
        A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
        A flash of lightning in a summer cloud;
        A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
        -Diamond Sutra
      • Smokey Ardisson
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 25, 2005
          On 22 Sep 2005 10:15:00 -0500, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@...> wrote

          > The equation editor,
          > however, does seem to have what I need but when I click on Tools-
          > Equation-New, I get an error message saying the equation fonts have
          > not been installed in my system. They seem to be there, though. What
          > could be going on?

          Hmm, I don't get that message. Are you sure the fonts are installed
          in Classic's Fonts folder as opposed to one of Mac OS X's font
          folders? And all three of them, WP-MathA, WP-MathB, and
          WP-MathExtendedA? That's all I can think of here....

          Smokey
          --
          Smokey Ardisson
          Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
            Smokey Ardisson wrote:

            > Hmm, I don't get that message. Are you sure the fonts are installed
            > in Classic's Fonts folder as opposed to one of Mac OS X's font
            > folders? And all three of them, WP-MathA, WP-MathB, and
            > WP-MathExtendedA? That's all I can think of here....

            As far as I can tell, these fonts are not installed anywhere. Spotlight
            doesn't get any hits for them. How do I get them installed?

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
              wrote:

              > As far as I can tell, these fonts are not installed anywhere.
              Spotlight
              > doesn't get any hits for them. How do I get them installed?

              Spotlight is not very good with contents of the classic system folder
              and its subfolders. It does not find any of the fonts I search for and
              not much else, although one control panel does show up.
            • S Zaveloff
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
                John Rethorst wrote:

                > Spotlight is not very good with contents of the classic system folder
                > and its subfolders. It does not find any of the fonts I search for and
                > not much else, although one control panel does show up.

                In any case, how do I install the fonts?

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
                  wrote:

                  > In any case, how do I install the fonts?

                  Download "Equation Fonts.sit" from the Files section here.
                  Unstuff and put in [classic] System Folder > Fonts. Restart
                  WordPerfect.
                • S Zaveloff
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
                    John Rethorst wrote:
                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    >>In any case, how do I install the fonts?
                    >

                    > Download "Equation Fonts.sit" from the Files section here.
                    > Unstuff and put in [classic] System Folder > Fonts. Restart
                    > WordPerfect.

                    I must be dense but I guess I'm doing something wrong.

                    I downloaded the file, expanded it to the Desktop and put it in the
                    Fonts folder of the System Folder. I opened WordPerfect and when
                    I click on Tools>Equation>New, I get the same error message saying
                    that the fonts have not been installed.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
                      wrote:

                      > I downloaded the file, expanded it to the Desktop and put it in the
                      > Fonts folder of the System Folder. I opened WordPerfect and when
                      > I click on Tools>Equation>New, I get the same error message saying
                      > that the fonts have not been installed.

                      All I can think of is to toss WP's prefs file and restart classic.
                    • S Zaveloff
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
                        John Rethorst wrote:
                        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, S Zaveloff <zaveloff@e...>
                        > wrote:
                        >

                        >>I downloaded the file, expanded it to the Desktop and put it in the
                        >>Fonts folder of the System Folder. I opened WordPerfect and when
                        >>I click on Tools>Equation>New, I get the same error message saying
                        >>that the fonts have not been installed.
                        >

                        > All I can think of is to toss WP's prefs file and restart classic.

                        That did it. Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 26, 2005
                          > > All I can think of is to toss WP's prefs file and restart classic.
                          >
                          > That did it. Thanks.

                          I was going to suggest Repair Permissions too; glad that
                          wasn't needed, although it's said to be a good maintenance
                          tool, say every week or so.

                          A couple of weeks ago I was experiencing slightly flakey
                          behavior in classic, happened to restart the module for
                          another reason, and was surprised how classic then ran
                          smoothly. Since I use WP a lot I leave classic on, but now
                          restart it every few days or a week.

                          Periodically refreshing WP's prefs file is not a new idea.
                          As stable as this program is, the prefs file could use it
                          every month or so. What I've done is trashed prefs,
                          opened WP, set all preferences as I like them, and then
                          made a copy of that prefs file. When I need it, restoration
                          is now a thirty-second procedure.

                          I also keep a backup of my library. Should the active
                          one become corrupted, I trash it, start WP without a
                          library (so it makes a new one), then copy styles,
                          macros and other resources from the backup to the
                          new library.