Re: WP won't open a @#$% thing!

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "trazdomeet" <trazdomeet@y...> wrote:
      > Hey guys,
      >
      > I've just started playing with WP on my mac running Tiger.

      Also get the Spotlight plug-in 1.0.1, in the Files section.
    • Smokey Ardisson
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "trazdomeet" <trazdomeet@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I've just started playing with WP on my mac running Tiger.
        > >
        > > I've got all these rtf files on my computer created by
        > > textedit (or downloaded). The WP
        > > 'open' command simply does not see these. They
        > > may as well not exist.
        > >
        > > When I create an rtf file from WP, it can see it no problem.
        > >
        > > Somebody please tell me what's my problem.
        >
        > Get "Conversions 2.1" from the Conversions folder in the Files
        > section here.

        Assuming they're standard .rtf documents instead of .rtfd documents (the latter is an Apple-only bundle format that only TextEdit--and perhaps Pages--can open normally):

        Like most "classic" Mac OS applications, WP-Mac "filters" its Open dialogue by HFS file type code ("type code"), showing only files with type codes it knows it can handle (this is also how it determines which files to show when choosing "Documents" and so forth from the drop-down under the list of files).

        TextEdit (like many Cocoa apps) violate Apple's AHIG by failing to set type (and creator) codes on files they save; many Mac OS X web browsers (both Carbon and Cocoa) also fail to set type/creator codes on files they download. I'm sure Mail fails to do this on received attachments, and I know Eudora sometimes sets "invalid" codes like «IC»....

        So for files to even *show up* in the Open dialogue, the file must have a valid type code for a file type WP-Mac knows it can handle (it helps if it is also the *correct* type code for the file type :-)), and you must have the appropriate "format-group" selected in the drop-down below the list of files (WordPerfect, Documents, All, etc.; RTF files show up under Documents or All...). And, for some types of files, you'll need the Conversions folder to actually import the file in a readable manner :-)

        Further, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the conversions sometimes hang or crash if a file is missing its creator or type codes (you can tell the Mac OS X Finder to force a file to open in WP-Mac...).

        All of which is to say you need to give your RTF files a file type of 'RTF ' (no quotes, and the fourth character is a space) for them to show up in WP-Mac's Open dialogue. Word files need 'W6BN' or 'W8BN' (not positive WP will recognize the latter) and so forth. For WP-DOS and WP-Win files, there's an AppleScript solution to setting type & creator in the files section, Conversions folder: either Conversion Droplets or Batch Set WP PC Type Creator archives. For assorted file types, I could whip up an AppleScript to do this automatically, but I'm a little busy right now to track down all the file types who'd need type codes assigned...if you know the type code, there are many "type/creator switcher" apps out there: FileInfo, TypeShuffler, QuickChange, FileType, FileShaper (all for Mac OS X...others available for Mac OS 7/8/9)....

        (John R, maybe we need to combine some of this with the "opening WP-PC files" notes and produce a general guide to opening files in properly in WP-Mac running under Mac OS X?)

        Hope this helps,
        Smokey
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 17, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Smokey Ardisson"
          <alqahira@m...> wrote:

          > (John R, maybe we need to combine some of this with
          > the "opening WP-PC files" notes and produce a general
          > guide to opening files in properly in WP-Mac running
          > under Mac OS X?)
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          > Smokey

          Very good idea, especially since many of the new folks
          coming to WPMac will be, I'd guess, either those who
          used WP PC and are switching platforms or those staying
          with the PC but want Mac translation for a variety of reasons.

          Adding your post to the "Conversion Tips - PC to Mac" file
          already in Files -> Conversions looks like a good introduction.