[wpmac] Save As WPWin 6/7/8

  • Philip Utley
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2005
      I used to be able to save a 30-printed-page article with headings
      and endnotes in WP 3.5ep as WP Windows 6/7/8, and open it in WPWin 8,
      which I run on SoftWindows, an OS 8/9 program, in Windows 95. I have
      also opened WPMac tables via the same conversion, in WPWin. Thia was
      long ago when I was running WPMac in OS 8 or 9, and I may have
      written the document in WP 3 or one of the intermediate releases.

      I was going to advise that people Save As WPWin 6/7/8 to open
      documents with Nisus 2.5. I am now running WP3.5eBeta (which I
      downloaded in the past couple years) on Classic 9.2 in Panther
      10.3.9. I tried opening that old document today in WPWin, with
      endnotes, after saving as WPWin 6/7/8, and it worked. However, when
      I tried to open that document in WPMac, WPMac and classic both
      crashed about 60% of the way through. I tried opening a recent
      document, about 20 printed pages, in both WPMac and WpWin, and it
      opened with endnotes, but only about 2/3 of the document made it
      through the conversion.

      If I have to drop WPMac because of the Intel chip, I've been thinking
      of using WPWin on VirtualPC, since SoftWindows is a dead program and
      VirtualPC runs on OSX.(The major problems I've had with WPWin on
      Windows 95 in SoftWindows were slowness [compared to WPMac] and
      crashes [There were of course all the other Windows inefficiencies].
      That combination of Windows and SoftWindows was supposed to have been
      faster than VirtualPC.The slowness hasn't been a problem lately,
      since the Mac G4 chip and OSX speeded things up. but there are still
      are lots of crashes.)

      I think I have had other problems with the new WPMac 3.5eBeta
      conversions, but I don't remember details. Or the problem may be with
      OSX and Classic (could they be too fast to convert properly?), but it
      seems to be a good time to figure out what is going on.