Re: [wpmac] Odd WP 3.5e behavior to Xserve

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T."
      <pjones1@k...> wrote:
      > This is going to be a pain to do if you have gazillions of files.
      >
      > But if he has a few do the following.
      >
      > click on each file one at a time and choose GetInfo. In OSX
      > set to read only.

      Good idea (an Applescript can automate it). I'm guessing that
      whatever this server software is up to, it might not respond
      to the OSX read/write permissions the same as it does to the
      locked status.
    • Phillip M Jones
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2005
        Just remembered its called stationery.
      • russellhwalker
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
          <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T."
          > <pjones1@k...> wrote:
          > > This is going to be a pain to do if you have gazillions of files.
          > >
          > > But if he has a few do the following.
          > >
          > > click on each file one at a time and choose GetInfo. In OSX
          > > set to read only.
          >
          > Good idea (an Applescript can automate it). I'm guessing that
          > whatever this server software is up to, it might not respond
          > to the OSX read/write permissions the same as it does to the
          > locked status.

          Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I'm sure that all of you
          noticed a typo in my original post - the retired ASIP server was ASIP
          6.3, not 4.3 (from which we upgraded about ten or so years ago), and I
          was tired when typing the original post. Sorry for the confusion.

          Regarding the suggestion to change everything to Stationery, sorry but
          that's a non-option.

          Regarding the gazillions of files, yes, we have well over 500,000
          files, but they are at most three folder levels deep on the share
          (e.g., "Clients A-F", client name, client matter, then the file), and,
          as I indicated in my original post, I was able to work around the
          problem for the time being by, from terminal as root, chmod */* ugo-w;
          chmod */*/* ugo-w and also by removing this attorney from the server
          admin group. No AppleScript was necessary.

          As I indicated, this attorney is currently running Mac OS 9.1, so, of
          course, there are other Mac OS 9 programs that he runs on the
          server-located files (including, kicking and screaming, Microsoft
          Word). None of the others exhibit this odd behavior of unlocking
          locked files and changing the modification date/time simply upon open
          with no save attempt; only WordPerfect. Now some programs will
          indicate that the file is locked and ask if you want the file to
          become unlocked, and will then do so. But it seems odd that a program
          would unlock the file on its own and change the modification date/time
          without asking.

          Anyway, I've worked around the problem by locking down the permissions
          and it looks like there may be no better solution. The only downside
          of this workaround is that currently-active files in the process of
          revision cannot be written by anyone, and people have to go through an
          "open/save as" step (to read then write the now-unwritable file), then
          delete the older file and rename the "saved as" file.

          Thanks. I'm surprised that this hasn't been seen before. I'll now
          tackle getting WP to run under Classic on Mac OS 10.4.2 so that we can
          retire the Mac OS 9.1 machine. It's possible that the problem will
          still exist under Classic. I'll report results under Classic FYI as
          soon as I get that working.

          Regards,

          Russ
        • russellhwalker
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
            <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
            > Unlocking the file on open and
            > updating its modification date are things WP can't do on its own.

            The evidence indicates otherwise if the Unix permissions allow but the
            file is locked. I've got an existence proof with over 500,000 instances.

            This may be some artifact of a massive transfer from an ASIP 6.3
            share, which is why I gave the history. Anyway, if the Unix
            permissions don't permit writing the file, then WordPerfect doesn't
            seem to be able to unlock the file and change the modify date/time
            simply upon opening the file.

            Russ
          • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
              Everyone has to realize that WP Mac is an OS9 program that runs through
              a emulator when called in OSX. In OS9 go to getInfo and tick the check
              box for stationery which means it will open a "copy" of the file. and
              not open the original file.