Re: [wpmac] Odd WP 3.5e behavior to Xserve

  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2005
      This is going to be a pain to do if you have gazillions of files.

      But if he has a few do the following.

      click on each file one at a time and choose GetInfo. In OSX set to
      read only.

      Its been so long since I've used OS9's get Info but there is a special
      box in the right hand corner that when check set to read only its not
      called that.

      When set to read only it only allows for reading of a file and can not
      be alltered evn date.

      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

      mailto:pjones@...

      <http://www.vpea.org>
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2005
        > We just retired our old ASIP 4.3 server and put our new
        > Xserve G5 10.4.2 server into production. One of our
        > attorneys (who insists on using WordPerfect and will not
        > switch to Word) is seeing odd behavior using Mac
        > WordPerfect 3.5e updated with the updater, etc., when
        > accessing files on the Xserve file server. I've been able
        > to work around the problem by really cranking down the
        > permissions on the Xserve, but I wondered if you have seen
        > this before and could point me in the direction of a real
        > solution. We are not seeing this behavior with any other
        > program.

        Are you using other classic programs?

        > Issue: If WordPerfect 3.5e merely opens a locked file on
        > the server and copies a selected portion of text to the
        > clipboard and then closes the file without saving or
        > modifying, WordPerfect unlocks the file and changes the
        > modification date of the file.

        In the Open dialog, you could click the Open Copy button. This
        opens a copy as Untitled, i.e. not saved to disk.

        > This is causing concern
        > because we need to preserve the modification dates of our
        > files for liability, etc., issues and other reasons.

        An Applescript can set the modification date of a file to anything.

        > WordPerfect (actually the Finder) does give the warning
        > about opening a locked file and being unable to save
        > changes when the file is initially opened by
        > double-clicking on it, but, upon simply highlighting a
        > section of text and then closing the document window
        > without saving, WordPerfect unlocks the file and changes
        > the modification date and time to the present.

        > By changing the permissions on the entire volume so that
        > this attorney is not the owner of any files and is not in
        > the group for the file (but still has read permission),
        > I've been able to work around this oddity. This behavior
        > is only seen for files accessed on the Xserve, not for
        > files on the local desktop, and happens regardless of
        > whether the Xserve network volume is using POSIX
        > permissions or ACL permissions. The Xserve is 10.4.2 Mac
        > OS Server. The attorney's local computer is Mac OS 9.1 (I
        > haven't been successful in getting WordPerfect to run in
        > Classic mode under 10.4.2, but I'm going to work a bit
        > more at that, which is a separate problem and I see the
        > discussions on that and various approaches to try).

        Shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of people here run WP on Tiger.

        > I've been able to reproduce the above behavior on a clean
        > install Mac OS 9.1 with all updates, followed by a clean
        > install of WP 3.5e with the updater for Mac OS 8 & 9
        > applied. We never saw this in the years of using the
        > now-retired ASIP server.

        > It just seems odd that WordPerfect would unlock and then
        > modify a file that it simply opens, selects a portion of
        > text for copying to the clipboard, and then closes without
        > modifying (and there's no close/save dialog to indicate
        > that it is saving/modifying).

        I think it must be an interaction between the server software and
        the OS. A WordPerfect file is just a Mac file that happens to have
        been created or modified by WP. Unlocking the file on open and
        updating its modification date are things WP can't do on its own.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T."
          <pjones1@k...> wrote:
          > This is going to be a pain to do if you have gazillions of files.
          >
          > But if he has a few do the following.
          >
          > click on each file one at a time and choose GetInfo. In OSX
          > set to read only.

          Good idea (an Applescript can automate it). I'm guessing that
          whatever this server software is up to, it might not respond
          to the OSX read/write permissions the same as it does to the
          locked status.
        • Phillip M Jones
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2005
            Just remembered its called stationery.
          • russellhwalker
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
              <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T."
              > <pjones1@k...> wrote:
              > > This is going to be a pain to do if you have gazillions of files.
              > >
              > > But if he has a few do the following.
              > >
              > > click on each file one at a time and choose GetInfo. In OSX
              > > set to read only.
              >
              > Good idea (an Applescript can automate it). I'm guessing that
              > whatever this server software is up to, it might not respond
              > to the OSX read/write permissions the same as it does to the
              > locked status.

              Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I'm sure that all of you
              noticed a typo in my original post - the retired ASIP server was ASIP
              6.3, not 4.3 (from which we upgraded about ten or so years ago), and I
              was tired when typing the original post. Sorry for the confusion.

              Regarding the suggestion to change everything to Stationery, sorry but
              that's a non-option.

              Regarding the gazillions of files, yes, we have well over 500,000
              files, but they are at most three folder levels deep on the share
              (e.g., "Clients A-F", client name, client matter, then the file), and,
              as I indicated in my original post, I was able to work around the
              problem for the time being by, from terminal as root, chmod */* ugo-w;
              chmod */*/* ugo-w and also by removing this attorney from the server
              admin group. No AppleScript was necessary.

              As I indicated, this attorney is currently running Mac OS 9.1, so, of
              course, there are other Mac OS 9 programs that he runs on the
              server-located files (including, kicking and screaming, Microsoft
              Word). None of the others exhibit this odd behavior of unlocking
              locked files and changing the modification date/time simply upon open
              with no save attempt; only WordPerfect. Now some programs will
              indicate that the file is locked and ask if you want the file to
              become unlocked, and will then do so. But it seems odd that a program
              would unlock the file on its own and change the modification date/time
              without asking.

              Anyway, I've worked around the problem by locking down the permissions
              and it looks like there may be no better solution. The only downside
              of this workaround is that currently-active files in the process of
              revision cannot be written by anyone, and people have to go through an
              "open/save as" step (to read then write the now-unwritable file), then
              delete the older file and rename the "saved as" file.

              Thanks. I'm surprised that this hasn't been seen before. I'll now
              tackle getting WP to run under Classic on Mac OS 10.4.2 so that we can
              retire the Mac OS 9.1 machine. It's possible that the problem will
              still exist under Classic. I'll report results under Classic FYI as
              soon as I get that working.

              Regards,

              Russ
            • russellhwalker
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
                <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
                > Unlocking the file on open and
                > updating its modification date are things WP can't do on its own.

                The evidence indicates otherwise if the Unix permissions allow but the
                file is locked. I've got an existence proof with over 500,000 instances.

                This may be some artifact of a massive transfer from an ASIP 6.3
                share, which is why I gave the history. Anyway, if the Unix
                permissions don't permit writing the file, then WordPerfect doesn't
                seem to be able to unlock the file and change the modify date/time
                simply upon opening the file.

                Russ
              • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2005
                  Everyone has to realize that WP Mac is an OS9 program that runs through
                  a emulator when called in OSX. In OS9 go to getInfo and tick the check
                  box for stationery which means it will open a "copy" of the file. and
                  not open the original file.