Is there really a version of WP for the Mac?

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 19, 2005
      > It will not see the file if it cannot open it. If the .wpd file was
      > created by a version of WordPerfect for Windows or DOS later than (I
      > think) version 8, then WP Mac won't recognize it. You have, I think,
      > two options.

      Jim and David, through at least WordPerfect 12 the .wpd file format has
      remained the same as WordPerfect 6. I have had no problems with WP 3.5e
      opening files made on a PC with WP 11. You do have to have the
      Conversions folder installed properly. BTW, WPWin did at one time have
      filters to open WPMac 3 files and to save as WPMac, I think thru WP 10,
      but the version I have, 11, lacks this feature. WPMac handles these
      files for me without difficulty. This is of course to be recommnded
      over using Word, which handles data very differently, as an intermediate
      file format. Good luck.

      Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
      ===================================
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
        >BTW, WPWin did at one time have filters to open WPMac 3 files and to
        >save as WPMac, I think thru WP 10, but the version I have, 11, lacks
        >this feature.
        >Tom
        Tom

        I have X3 under Parallels. Is there a way for WPWin to open WPMac
        files directly or do I need to save as WP6 in the WPMac dialog?

        Thanks
        Geoff
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
          If you have X3, why not simply try it and see? (X3 opens WPMac files
          very happily on my Windows system; it may make things slightly easier
          if you save them in WPMac with the extension .WPD but that probably
          isn't necessary.)

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
            I had tried, but it was unsuccessful. However, the file did not have
            a wpd extension, so I'll repeat the exercise.

            Thanks

            Geoff

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
              No, that did not work. It said unrecognized file format.

              Geoff

              >If you have X3, why not simply try it and see? (X3 opens WPMac files
              >very happily on my Windows system; it may make things slightly easier
              >if you save them in WPMac with the extension .WPD but that probably
              >isn't necessary.)

              >> I have X3 under Parallels. Is there a way for WPWin to open WPMac
              >> files directly or do I need to save as WP6 in the WPMac dialog?
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
                Geoff, I recently played around with WPWin 11, and it will import WPMac
                files, though WPMac is not listed under export formats. The trick is
                that the WPMac files have to be in the 3.x format rather than 3.5e AKA
                WPMac 4. Save As WP 3.x, or use the droplet in John’s WordPerfect Tips
                & Macros under File types:

                "You might want to change some files from WP version 3’s format to the
                newer 3.5e type or vice versa, for example to import into a page layout
                program. This AppleScript does it easily. It’s a droplet, so you can
                drag and drop one or more files on it in the Finder, or double-click to
                open and choose a file to change. Save this script in your AppleScript
                editor as an application, not showing startup screen:

                on run
                set theFile to choose file with prompt "Choose a file:"
                doIt(theFile)
                end run

                on open theDrop
                repeat with theFile in theDrop
                doIt(theFile)
                end repeat
                end open

                on doIt(theFile)
                tell application "Finder"
                if file type of theFile contains "WPD3" then
                set file type of theFile to "WPD4"
                else if file type of theFile contains "WPD4" then
                set file type of theFile to "WPD3"
                end if
                end tell
                end doIt

                "

                John, hope you don't mind my simply pasting your AppleScript into the
                message like this. I have used it a lot.

                ALSO, the file has to have the .wpm file extension for WPWin to open it
                (don't know if .wpd would work, haven't tried that; I do these
                experiments on a PC at the hospital that has WPWin 11 installed).

                Hope this helps.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
                  wrote:

                  > John, hope you don't mind my simply pasting your AppleScript into the
                  > message like this. I have used it a lot.

                  Not at all. Glad it's useful.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
                    Tom

                    Thanks for this. I'll test it out as soon as Parallels 3 allows me
                    to. Upgrades, why bother.

                    Geoff

                  • colin wilson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
                      Hi

                      I expect this has been said before but being a newbie
                      here it might help other newbies but all WP files (and
                      word too) open with NeoOffice - a free software
                      programme from www.neooffice.org

                      The only problem I found is that it doesn't always
                      format the page in exactly the same way the original
                      WP had and whilst you can reformat it back in Word it
                      doesn't have the same facility for WP.

                      Never the less it is very good programme and I use it
                      a lot.

                      Colin