Re: [wpmac] WP 3.5e CD available for download

  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2005
      I have a problem in That although my ISP uses News Server they
      received their news feed from Sprint.

      Sprint has taken it upon their selves to discontinue support for news
      groups They've had trouble maintaining their news Hard Drive and refuse
      to fix it. Say they don't have enough news Traffic to warrant a News
      Server system. Which is real a bunch of BS. So although I can read
      groups from Netscape, Mozilla, Anexcafe, Microsoft and others I can't
      get any USEnet news.

      John Rethorst wrote:
      > I'm told the full CD is available, probably for a short time only,
      > on the usenet newsgroup alt.binaries.mac.applications.retro.
      >
      > I don't know how authentic a copy this is, not knowing the
      > source, and IIRC it has nothing important that's not in the
      > regular download or the Files section here, but thought I'd
      > pass this along . . .

      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

      mailto:pjones@...

      <http://www.vpea.org>
    • Ed Gould
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2005
        On Aug 14, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

        > I have a problem in That although my ISP uses News Server they
        > received their news feed from Sprint.
        >
        > Sprint has taken it upon their selves to discontinue support for news
        > groups They've had trouble maintaining their news Hard Drive and
        > refuse
        > to fix it. Say they don't have enough news Traffic to warrant a News
        > Server system. Which is real a bunch of BS. So although I can read
        > groups from Netscape, Mozilla, Anexcafe, Microsoft and others I can't
        > get any USEnet news.

        *IF* it is lawful to reproduce the WP install CDROM, I will gladly
        offer to do so.
        the version I have has 3.5e on it.

        Please email me (privately) with the snail mail address.

        Ed

        edgould@...
      • dblel2
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2005
          I want to know if you have used this on OSX 10.3x, or Tiger??
          Thanks.. LL
          would appreciate a reply
          ---------------------------------------

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ed Gould <edgould@a...> wrote:

          > On Aug 14, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
          >
          > > I have a problem in That although my ISP uses News Server they
          > > received their news feed from Sprint.
          > >
          > > Sprint has taken it upon their selves to discontinue support for
          news
          > > groups They've had trouble maintaining their news Hard Drive and
          > > refuse
          > > to fix it. Say they don't have enough news Traffic to warrant a
          News
          > > Server system. Which is real a bunch of BS. So although I can read
          > > groups from Netscape, Mozilla, Anexcafe, Microsoft and others I
          can't
          > > get any USEnet news.
          > >

          > *IF* it is lawful to reproduce the WP install CDROM, I will gladly
          > offer to do so.
          > the version I have has 3.5e on it.
          >
          > Please email me (privately) with the snail mail address.
          >
          > Ed
          >
          > edgould@a...
        • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2005
            I jave used it on Panther (X.3.9) I have not tried on Tiger as I am
            unable to install for some reason on my main Hard drive on my desktop
            computer (G4-500.). I have installed on an external firewire drive
            attached to the same computer. So Tiger will work on the desktop machine.

            I simply haven't loaded it on my Lap top (G-4 1.67 gb, 17").

            dblel2 wrote:
            > I want to know if you have used this on OSX 10.3x, or Tiger??
            > Thanks.. LL
            > would appreciate a reply
            > ---------------------------------------
            >
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ed Gould <edgould@a...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Aug 14, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
            > >
            > > > I have a problem in That although my ISP uses News Server they
            > > > received their news feed from Sprint.
            > > >
            > > > Sprint has taken it upon their selves to discontinue support for
            > news
            > > > groups They've had trouble maintaining their news Hard Drive and
            > > > refuse
            > > > to fix it. Say they don't have enough news Traffic to warrant a
            > News
            > > > Server system. Which is real a bunch of BS. So although I can read
            > > > groups from Netscape, Mozilla, Anexcafe, Microsoft and others I
            > can't
            > > > get any USEnet news.
            > > >

            > > *IF* it is lawful to reproduce the WP install CDROM, I will gladly
            > > offer to do so.
            > > the version I have has 3.5e on it.
            > >
            > > Please email me (privately) with the snail mail address.
            > >
            > > Ed
            > >
            > > edgould@a...

            If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

            mailto:pjones@...

            <http://www.vpea.org>
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "dblel2" <dblel2@y...> wrote:

              > I want to know if you have used this on OSX 10.3x, or Tiger??
              > Thanks.. LL

              The original WP 3.5e, released in 1997, is not recommended
              for use on any OS. It was buggy, and incompatibilies developed
              with the release of Mac OS 8 and 9.

              A patch was released in 1998 to fix the bugs.

              A further updater was released in 2000 to fix the OS
              incompatibilities, slow the scrolling speed and improve
              display. An outlining fix was included to remedy the free
              download's incorrect installation of that module.

              So . . .

              If you install WP 3.5e from the CD, you need to run the
              1998 patch and 2000 updater. Outlining fix not required.

              If you install WP 3.5e from the free download, you need to
              run the 2000 updater and outlining fix.

              So you have two steps in any case.

              There's no advantage to installing the program from the CD
              when the free download is available (at sites listed in the
              Links section here).

              The CD does have other stuff, such an auxiliary program to
              create flowcharts from outlines, plus a ton of fonts, clip
              art, templates, HTML utilities and macros.

              It also has dictionary/thesaurus files and conversion
              filters, which are available in the Files section here.