Re: new user can't open files

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
      <alqahira@m...> wrote:

      > (John put things together; I contributed :-))

      Smokey did the thinking and building; I contributed the
      cardboard box . . .

      > (Actually, the droplets on the site might only fix one file at a
      > time; I have a version that will batch convert, if that's the case.
      > There was a discussion about safety vs. utility when we first
      > discussed the type/creator issue.)

      Smokey, if you send that to me I'll post it here. I always was
      an old lady about keeping users out of trouble . . . :-)

      John R.
    • Smokey Ardisson
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
        > <alqahira@m...> wrote:
        >
        > > (John put things together; I contributed :-))
        >
        > Smokey did the thinking and building; I contributed the
        > cardboard box . . .

        Well, John and I collaborated :-)

        > > (Actually, the droplets on the site might only fix one file at a
        > > time; I have a version that will batch convert, if that's the case.
        > > There was a discussion about safety vs. utility when we first
        > > discussed the type/creator issue.)
        >
        > Smokey, if you send that to me I'll post it here. I always was
        > an old lady about keeping users out of trouble . . . :-)

        I think that was entirely sensible in the original context, which was fixing a couple of files, if I recall correctly. The current counter-argument of someone bringing over a huge batch of WP PC files didn't occur to me then.

        At any rate, I've just sent John a "beefed up" version of my batch conversion droplet, with expanded protection to help keep people from messing up the wrong files :-) It does require Mac OS X, but if you're using Mac OS 9 or lower, you're really better off getting the proper extension to type/creator mapping set in File Exchange (or the equivalent) to begin with.

        Smokey
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 14, 2005
          Hello,
          I am an experienced Windows/WordPerfect user [currently version 12].
          So, FIRST, let me say that I don't know for sure IF WP/Mac can indeed
          read any/all of your files from such a recent version of WP/Windows.

          SECOND, I suggest that you THINK HARD about switching from PC to Mac
          for the purpose of using WordPerfect. From my own experiences with
          WP, I thought I could switch to my Mac and continue to utilize the full
          potential of WordPerfect (on the PC) -- that simply is NOT the case.
          My best estimate of features/useability on the Mac would be no more
          than 60% at best.

          What most people don't think about or realize about WP Mac (3.5e) is
          that it's approximately equivalent to PC WP version 6 for Windows ....
          or MAYBE version 7 -- AT BEST. PERIOD. Corel has improved
          WordPerfect considerably and included MANY features that has bipassed
          WP Mac and "left it in the dust". After using WP Mac [3.5e] for the
          past 2 months putting it through its paces as much as I can to
          determine how feasible it is to make the switch to the Mac for the
          purpose of WordPerfect, it simply FAILS if you've come to rely on the
          many features and updates the PC WordPerfect has incorporated (and I've
          only used through version 12 so far).

          Of course, you don't need to just take MY word for it ..... USE IT on
          the Mac for a period of time that you deem is necessary to get used to
          the different interface and styles the Mac has. AND .... if you're a
          touch typist, you will CURSE the Mac for it's keyboard layout of the
          navigation keys [at the very least!] if you're so intrenched using the
          PC keyboard layout [navigation] ... as well as the upper ASCII letters
          and symbols.

          This is my 2 cents worth.

          Michael Hammett

          On Aug 13, 2005, at 2:01 AM, trevorjohnwright wrote:
          > I'm an experienced Windows user considering switching to Mac, which I
          > barely know.  I have thousands of WordPerfect files which I must
          > retain and, ideally, would like to continue using WP.  I know that I
          > can save as Word and these then open in the Mac (Word)I've borrowed to
          > practise on, but this is hardly a solution, unless anyone knows of a
          > method of converting WP to Word files en masse.
          >
          > I've downloaded and installed WP 3.5 on the Mac and it runs fine but
          > it doesn't appear to see my WP files.  These are WP 11 files.  When I
          > try to open within WP it just doesn't seem to see them.  If I click on
          > the the files themselves Word runs and fails to convert them.
          >
          > It may be that WP 3.5 just won't see WP 11 files; or that I'm failing
          > to understand how to open files on the Mac in some elementary way.
          > I'd be grateful for any advice.
        • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 15, 2005
            I recently sent some Wordperfect files Mac 3.5e to a PC user using WP PC
            12. He was unable to to read the files. in fact he did not even have
            anything on his PC that would recognize them in any shape form or fashion.

            THey even had the the three letter code required to transfer files from
            Mac to PC.

            I have have the latest version of Office (2004) and I can send Word and
            Excel Files with no problems to the same person with no problem.

            If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

            mailto:pjones@...

            <http://www.vpea.org>
          • David Derbes
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 15, 2005
              On Aug 15, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

              > I recently sent some Wordperfect files Mac 3.5e to a PC user using
              > WP PC
              > 12. He was unable to to read the files. in fact he did not even have
              > anything on his PC that would recognize them in any shape form or
              > fashion.
              >
              > THey even had the the three letter code required to transfer files
              > from
              > Mac to PC.
              >
              > I have have the latest version of Office (2004) and I can send Word
              > and
              > Excel Files with no problems to the same person with no problem.

              I think you need to save the WP Mac files as "WP for PC 6, 7, 8".
              Give this a try, and send a sample on to your PC user.

              Good luck!

              David Derbes
            • logres@redrose.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 15, 2005
                I'm not usually a defender of the folks in Redmond, but . . .
                you can send Mac Word and Excel files to PC users (and
                have them successfully opened at that end) because
                Microsoft has built cross-platform compatibility into these
                applications (and continued to maintain it). Some
                organizations with mixed platforms choose MS office
                software for this very reason. To the best of my knowledge,
                I'm not aware that the various corporations that owned and
                developed WordPerfect adopted such a strategy. WP Mac
                seemed to have the capability to import and export WP Win
                files, but I don't think this went in the other direction.
                --Rick Albright
              • Smokey Ardisson
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 16, 2005
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1@k...> wrote:
                  > I recently sent some Wordperfect files Mac 3.5e to a PC user using WP PC
                  > 12. He was unable to to read the files. in fact he did not even have
                  > anything on his PC that would recognize them in any shape form or fashion.

                  Once upon a time, WP-Win shipped with a translator that opened WP-Mac 3.1-3.5 files. 3.5e files are a whole different animal (not extensively different, but enough that you need a new/updated translator to handle them). So don't send WP-Mac 3.5e files except to 3.5e-using WP-Mac users :-)

                  I'm not sure if the latest versions of WP-Win still include that translator for 3.1-3.5 files (only time I used it was WP 9, IIRC), so, as David mentioned, your best bet is to save your files first as WP 6-7-8 before sending them to WP-Win users.

                  Smokey