Re: [wpmac] new user can't open files

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
      trevorjohnwright said:

      >I'm an experienced Windows user considering switching to Mac, which I
      >barely know.

      For learning the Mac, this book is wonderful:

      Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger edition $19.77
      <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596009410/qid=1115571197/sr
      =8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-8230648-9955160?v=glance&s=books&n=507846>

      or
      http://tinyurl.com/9mwg3

      If this book is too intimidating, you may want to check out:

      Mac OS X Tiger for Dummies by Bob LeVitus
      <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764576755/qid=1120181712/sr
      =1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-9803461-9216658?v=glance&s=books>

      >I have thousands of WordPerfect files which I must
      >retain and, ideally, would like to continue using WP. I know that I
      >can save as Word and these then open in the Mac (Word)I've borrowed to
      >practise on,

      For learning Microsoft Word, I highly recommend either reading a book,
      or, even better, taking a course. This company has a course on CD-ROM
      that is excellent:
      MacAcademy Training CD-ROMs
      http://www.macacademy.com/volumes/

      This is a decent book to help you learn how to do things in Word:
      Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac OS X: Visual QuickStart Guide
      http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321304578

      >but this is hardly a solution, unless anyone knows of a
      >method of converting WP to Word files en masse.

      Several folks have here recommended MacLink Plus converters from DataViz:
      http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html
      I've always found that product to be very disappointing if your documents
      have even the slightest amount of complex formatting. It was included
      with the last versions of WP/Mac when WP/Mac was on the market. One of
      the biggest complaints about WP/Mac back then was poor compatibility with
      Word file format.

      There are a couple more options that might be more satisfactory.

      You could get:
      CrossWords, a WordPerfect to Word conversion utility, and use that to
      convert your WP files to Word on your PC before transferring your files
      over to your Mac. CrossWords will allow your documents to be converted in
      a batch.
      http://www.levitjames.com/crosswords/CrossWords.html

      Another option, and a FREE one, is to Download either:
      AbiWord <http://www.abisource.com/>
      or
      NeoOffice/J <http://www.neooffice.org/java/>
      and use them to open your documents and save them as .doc files for use
      in Word. Both of these programs are free open source programs available
      for the Macintosh. Both use the same exact open source translators.

      Of course, if you like using AbiWord or NeoOffice/J as your main word
      processing application on the Macintosh, there is no reason not to use
      either one of them, as they are both sophistocated word processors that
      can save files in Word or WP format and they can open Word or WP files.
      In fact, if you decide to go with NeoOffice/J or AbiWord as your main
      word processor, there is no need to do a batch conversion of your old WP
      files, you can just open your WP files as you need to and they will be
      converted and then you can work on them and save them in whatever format
      you care to.

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • Smokey Ardisson
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
        On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:01:27 -0000, "trevorjohnwright"
        <trevor@...> wrote

        >It may be that WP 3.5 just won't see WP 11 files; or that I'm failing
        >to understand how to open files on the Mac in some elementary way.
        >I'd be grateful for any advice.

        The WP-Win file format is unchanged since WP6, so that's not an
        issue. The problem is that modern Macs are not set up to "tag" the
        files in a way that WP-Mac needs in order to open them--namely, Mac
        OS X needs to have the .wpd extension associated with WordPerfect
        Mac, and WordPerfect Mac needs the files to have the proper type and
        creator codes.

        The first you can fix by selecting any .wpd file in the Finder, doing
        Cmd-I (or Get Info from the File menu), expanding the "Open With..."
        section of the Get Info window, selecting WordPerfect from the
        drop-down list (it probably won't appear by default, so you'll have
        to select "Other..." and navigate to WordPerfect on your hard disk,
        and may have to toggle the drop-down at the top of that dialogue to
        "All Applications") and finally hitting the "Change All..." button.

        This will make .wpd open in WordPerfect when you double click them
        (with a caveat to be fixed below).

        WP-Mac's "Open" dialogue won't recognize the WP-Win files unless they
        have the proper type and creator codes (which were used by the
        "classic" Mac OS as a more sophisticated file-binding mechanism), and
        sometimes WP-Mac crashes when opening a WP-Win file from a
        double-click if the file is missing the type/creator. Fortunately,
        this is an easier fix. John R. and I have put together some tools in
        the Files section of this group that will set the proper type and
        creator when you drop file(s) on them. Grab "Conversion Droplets"
        and "Conversion Tips" from the Conversions folder in the Files
        section of this group's website. (John put things together; I
        contributed :-))

        (Actually, the droplets on the site might only fix one file at a
        time; I have a version that will batch convert, if that's the case.
        There was a discussion about safety vs. utility when we first
        discussed the type/creator issue.)

        Hope this helps,
        Smokey
        --
        Smokey Ardisson
        Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
          <alqahira@m...> wrote:

          > (John put things together; I contributed :-))

          Smokey did the thinking and building; I contributed the
          cardboard box . . .

          > (Actually, the droplets on the site might only fix one file at a
          > time; I have a version that will batch convert, if that's the case.
          > There was a discussion about safety vs. utility when we first
          > discussed the type/creator issue.)

          Smokey, if you send that to me I'll post it here. I always was
          an old lady about keeping users out of trouble . . . :-)

          John R.
        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
            > <alqahira@m...> wrote:
            >
            > > (John put things together; I contributed :-))
            >
            > Smokey did the thinking and building; I contributed the
            > cardboard box . . .

            Well, John and I collaborated :-)

            > > (Actually, the droplets on the site might only fix one file at a
            > > time; I have a version that will batch convert, if that's the case.
            > > There was a discussion about safety vs. utility when we first
            > > discussed the type/creator issue.)
            >
            > Smokey, if you send that to me I'll post it here. I always was
            > an old lady about keeping users out of trouble . . . :-)

            I think that was entirely sensible in the original context, which was fixing a couple of files, if I recall correctly. The current counter-argument of someone bringing over a huge batch of WP PC files didn't occur to me then.

            At any rate, I've just sent John a "beefed up" version of my batch conversion droplet, with expanded protection to help keep people from messing up the wrong files :-) It does require Mac OS X, but if you're using Mac OS 9 or lower, you're really better off getting the proper extension to type/creator mapping set in File Exchange (or the equivalent) to begin with.

            Smokey
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 14, 2005
              Hello,
              I am an experienced Windows/WordPerfect user [currently version 12].
              So, FIRST, let me say that I don't know for sure IF WP/Mac can indeed
              read any/all of your files from such a recent version of WP/Windows.

              SECOND, I suggest that you THINK HARD about switching from PC to Mac
              for the purpose of using WordPerfect. From my own experiences with
              WP, I thought I could switch to my Mac and continue to utilize the full
              potential of WordPerfect (on the PC) -- that simply is NOT the case.
              My best estimate of features/useability on the Mac would be no more
              than 60% at best.

              What most people don't think about or realize about WP Mac (3.5e) is
              that it's approximately equivalent to PC WP version 6 for Windows ....
              or MAYBE version 7 -- AT BEST. PERIOD. Corel has improved
              WordPerfect considerably and included MANY features that has bipassed
              WP Mac and "left it in the dust". After using WP Mac [3.5e] for the
              past 2 months putting it through its paces as much as I can to
              determine how feasible it is to make the switch to the Mac for the
              purpose of WordPerfect, it simply FAILS if you've come to rely on the
              many features and updates the PC WordPerfect has incorporated (and I've
              only used through version 12 so far).

              Of course, you don't need to just take MY word for it ..... USE IT on
              the Mac for a period of time that you deem is necessary to get used to
              the different interface and styles the Mac has. AND .... if you're a
              touch typist, you will CURSE the Mac for it's keyboard layout of the
              navigation keys [at the very least!] if you're so intrenched using the
              PC keyboard layout [navigation] ... as well as the upper ASCII letters
              and symbols.

              This is my 2 cents worth.

              Michael Hammett

              On Aug 13, 2005, at 2:01 AM, trevorjohnwright wrote:
              > I'm an experienced Windows user considering switching to Mac, which I
              > barely know.  I have thousands of WordPerfect files which I must
              > retain and, ideally, would like to continue using WP.  I know that I
              > can save as Word and these then open in the Mac (Word)I've borrowed to
              > practise on, but this is hardly a solution, unless anyone knows of a
              > method of converting WP to Word files en masse.
              >
              > I've downloaded and installed WP 3.5 on the Mac and it runs fine but
              > it doesn't appear to see my WP files.  These are WP 11 files.  When I
              > try to open within WP it just doesn't seem to see them.  If I click on
              > the the files themselves Word runs and fails to convert them.
              >
              > It may be that WP 3.5 just won't see WP 11 files; or that I'm failing
              > to understand how to open files on the Mac in some elementary way.
              > I'd be grateful for any advice.
            • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 15, 2005
                I recently sent some Wordperfect files Mac 3.5e to a PC user using WP PC
                12. He was unable to to read the files. in fact he did not even have
                anything on his PC that would recognize them in any shape form or fashion.

                THey even had the the three letter code required to transfer files from
                Mac to PC.

                I have have the latest version of Office (2004) and I can send Word and
                Excel Files with no problems to the same person with no problem.

                If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                mailto:pjones@...

                <http://www.vpea.org>
              • David Derbes
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 15, 2005
                  On Aug 15, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

                  > I recently sent some Wordperfect files Mac 3.5e to a PC user using
                  > WP PC
                  > 12. He was unable to to read the files. in fact he did not even have
                  > anything on his PC that would recognize them in any shape form or
                  > fashion.
                  >
                  > THey even had the the three letter code required to transfer files
                  > from
                  > Mac to PC.
                  >
                  > I have have the latest version of Office (2004) and I can send Word
                  > and
                  > Excel Files with no problems to the same person with no problem.

                  I think you need to save the WP Mac files as "WP for PC 6, 7, 8".
                  Give this a try, and send a sample on to your PC user.

                  Good luck!

                  David Derbes
                • logres@redrose.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 15, 2005
                    I'm not usually a defender of the folks in Redmond, but . . .
                    you can send Mac Word and Excel files to PC users (and
                    have them successfully opened at that end) because
                    Microsoft has built cross-platform compatibility into these
                    applications (and continued to maintain it). Some
                    organizations with mixed platforms choose MS office
                    software for this very reason. To the best of my knowledge,
                    I'm not aware that the various corporations that owned and
                    developed WordPerfect adopted such a strategy. WP Mac
                    seemed to have the capability to import and export WP Win
                    files, but I don't think this went in the other direction.
                    --Rick Albright
                  • Smokey Ardisson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 16, 2005
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1@k...> wrote:
                      > I recently sent some Wordperfect files Mac 3.5e to a PC user using WP PC
                      > 12. He was unable to to read the files. in fact he did not even have
                      > anything on his PC that would recognize them in any shape form or fashion.

                      Once upon a time, WP-Win shipped with a translator that opened WP-Mac 3.1-3.5 files. 3.5e files are a whole different animal (not extensively different, but enough that you need a new/updated translator to handle them). So don't send WP-Mac 3.5e files except to 3.5e-using WP-Mac users :-)

                      I'm not sure if the latest versions of WP-Win still include that translator for 3.1-3.5 files (only time I used it was WP 9, IIRC), so, as David mentioned, your best bet is to save your files first as WP 6-7-8 before sending them to WP-Win users.

                      Smokey