Finder hack for Classic

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13 1:34 PM
      The Finder hack described in the article I found (by Googling) at the
      following URL has been helpful for opening WP files. I sure hope that
      things like the WordPerfect Importer for Spotlight, and perhaps now
      this, will keep WP alive and thriving.

      http://www.macopinion.com/columns/tangible/01/04/02/index.html

      I have not been able to open WP files by double-clicking their icons in
      Panther's Finder. Doing so takes me to WP but does not open the desired
      file. I have had to navigate to the file I want via WP's Open dialog
      (or the eternally useful command-comma Open Latest menu).

      The hack mentioned above, which actually goes back to 2001, gives you
      the Classic Finder as an OS 9 app. You basically just copy and rename
      the OS 9 finder, then change the copy's Type from FNDR to APPL (the
      Creator remains MACS) to make it work like a Classic app. WP files
      double-clicked in Classic Finder windows do open properly. Makes it
      easier especially if you want to open more than one WP file at a time.

      It also seems, based on my few experiments just now, to make it possible
      to edit the UltraClip folder without the extraneous DS.Store file
      throwing in a monkey wrench.

      Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
      ===================================
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13 2:01 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D."
        <TJRostaf@m...> wrote:

        > The Finder hack described in the article I found (by
        > Googling) at the following URL has been helpful for
        > opening WP files. I sure hope that things like the
        > WordPerfect Importer for Spotlight, and perhaps now this,
        > will keep WP alive and thriving.
        >
        >http://www.macopinion.com/columns/tangible/01/04/02/index.html

        > I have not been able to open WP files by double-clicking
        > their icons in Panther's Finder. Doing so takes me to WP
        > but does not open the desired file. I have had to
        > navigate to the file I want via WP's Open dialog (or the
        > eternally useful command-comma Open Latest menu).

        > The hack mentioned above, which actually goes back to
        > 2001, gives you the Classic Finder as an OS 9 app. You
        > basically just copy and rename the OS 9 finder, then
        > change the copy's Type from FNDR to APPL (the Creator
        > remains MACS) to make it work like a Classic app. WP
        > files double-clicked in Classic Finder windows do open
        > properly. Makes it easier especially if you want to open
        > more than one WP file at a time.

        I'm glad the hack works for you, but you shouldn't need it.
        WP files (one or more) should open from the OSX Finder. Have
        you rebuilt your OS 9 desktop (in the Classic prefpane) or
        repaired OS 9 disk permissions (from Disk Utility's File
        menu)?

        > It also seems, based on my few experiments just now, to
        > make it possible to edit the UltraClip folder without the
        > extraneous DS.Store file throwing in a monkey
        > wrench.

        IAC UltraClip v. 2 is now in development (and benefiting
        from Tom's testing). Any number of clips, any size clip,
        clips much easier to edit, find/change utilities, version 1
        clips easily updated. Should be posted next week.

        John R.
      • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14 8:44 PM
          John, I have, more than once, rebuilt the OS 9 desktop, and repaired
          permissions, including OS 9 disk permissions, and still the OS X Finder
          will not open files in Classic apps including WP. I'd not found any
          information about this anywhere (until I found this old hack article).
          I'd welcome any further suggestions.

          > WP files (one or more) should open from the OSX Finder. Have
          > you rebuilt your OS 9 desktop (in the Classic prefpane) or
          > repaired OS 9 disk permissions (from Disk Utility's File
          > menu)?

          > IAC UltraClip v. 2 is now in development.

          I'm back to testing the new version now. Thank you for the opportunity.

          Tom
        • Randall C. Wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15 8:16 AM
            I reported this same problem months ago on this list but got no
            not appear following launch in a document window. I don't know what
            causes this, I am using utilities to automate and repair permissions,
            The problem seemed to go away for a while but I noted ig again the
            other day.

            What I discovered was that the WP files were in fact opening in
            WordPerfect when double clicked in finder, but the document windows
            were absent. If you use the "Close Window" command after the window
            fails to appear, you can then quickly re-access the document from
            Wordperfect's "Open Latest" menu.

            A way to avoid the problem is to always open the document you want
            from Word Perfect's open menu or command. (Perhaps I have always
            gone to doing this so that is why the problem seemed to go away.)

            I looked at the "Finder" hack suggested earlier and it did not seem
            attractive. Some of the drawbacks that come with the hack sound
            worse than the missing window problem in WP.

            --
            /S/ Randall

            mailto:rwilson@...

            Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

          • David Derbes
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15 9:14 AM
              On Aug 15, 2005, at 10:16 AM, Randall C. Wilson wrote:

              > I reported this same problem months ago on this list but got no
              > not appear following launch in a document window. I don't know what
              > causes this, I am using utilities to automate and repair permissions,
              > The problem seemed to go away for a while but I noted ig again the
              > other day.
              >
              > What I discovered was that the WP files were in fact opening in
              > WordPerfect when double clicked in finder, but the document windows
              > were absent. If you use the "Close Window" command after the window
              > fails to appear, you can then quickly re-access the document from
              > Wordperfect's "Open Latest" menu.
              >
              > A way to avoid the problem is to always open the document you want
              > from Word Perfect's open menu or command. (Perhaps I have always
              > gone to doing this so that is why the problem seemed to go away.)
              >
              > I looked at the "Finder" hack suggested earlier and it did not seem
              > attractive. Some of the drawbacks that come with the hack sound
              > worse than the missing window problem in WP.

              I don't know if your problem is in Tiger or otherwise.

              After upgrading to OS X 10.4.2, I was not able to start Adobe
              Illustrator 10.0.3. When I double-clicked on it, surprise, up opened
              Script Editor. On another list (LaTex on Mac OS X) a very smart
              person (Bruno Voisin) suggested the following:

              "You may try rebuilding the Launch Services database. I'm not quite
              sure it
              will help, but who knows?

              Before Tiger, this meant deleting the following files, then restarting:

              /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.6B.csstore
              ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.UserCache.csstore
              ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist

              On Tiger the organization and naming of the files have changed, it
              should be
              something like:

              /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-0140.csstore
              /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-014501.csstore
              /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-014504.csstore
              ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist "

              (the numbers may be different on your own computer, but this is the
              format of the files.)

              This solved my Ilustrator problem. I do not know if it will solve
              your WP problem, but what have you got to lose?

              Good luck!

              David Derbes

              > >John, I have, more than once, rebuilt the OS 9 desktop, and repaired
              > >permissions, including OS 9 disk permissions, and still the OS X
              > Finder
              > >will not open files in Classic apps including WP. I'd not found any
              > >information about this anywhere (until I found this old hack
              > article).
              > >I'd welcome any further suggestions.
              > >
              > >> WP files (one or more) should open from the OSX Finder. Have
              > >> you rebuilt your OS 9 desktop (in the Classic prefpane) or
              > >> repaired OS 9 disk permissions (from Disk Utility's File
              > >> menu)?
              > >
              > >> IAC UltraClip v. 2 is now in development.
              > >
              > >I'm back to testing the new version now. Thank you for the
              > opportunity.
              > >
              > >Tom
              >
              > --
              > /S/ Randall
              >
              > mailto:rwilson@...
              >
              > Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

              > Medical software program Maintenance program software Cad software
              > program
              > Email software program Wedding program software Audit program
              > software

            • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 15 11:21 AM
                thanks, I was under Panther, have recently upgraded to Tiger.

                /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
                Legal Director
                Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

                mailto:rwilson@...