Re: [wpmac] new user can't open files

  • David Derbes
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
      On Aug 13, 2005, at 4:01 AM, trevorjohnwright wrote:

      > Hi
      > I'm an experienced Windows user considering switching to Mac, which I
      > barely know. I have thousands of WordPerfect files which I must
      > retain and, ideally, would like to continue using WP. I know that I
      > can save as Word and these then open in the Mac (Word)I've borrowed to
      > practise on, but this is hardly a solution, unless anyone knows of a
      > method of converting WP to Word files en masse.
      >
      > I've downloaded and installed WP 3.5 on the Mac and it runs fine but
      > it doesn't appear to see my WP files. These are WP 11 files. When I
      > try to open within WP it just doesn't seem to see them. If I click on
      > the the files themselves Word runs and fails to convert them.
      >
      > It may be that WP 3.5 just won't see WP 11 files; or that I'm failing
      > to understand how to open files on the Mac in some elementary way.
      > I'd be grateful for any advice.

      I know that WP 3.5 will see WP Windows up to about version 6 or 7,
      but after that, I dunno. WP 3.5 was last developed circa 1997, though
      John Rethorst and his colleagues have done wonderful work keeping the
      program au courant with OS X. It is unlikely that in 1997 the WP Mac
      developers had any idea what would be the new! improved!! file
      formats for WP Win 11 or so.

      There is a reasonably inexpensive program called MacLink Plus Deluxe
      (http://www.dataviz.com) which I think allows for batch conversions
      from all manner of Windows data formats to Mac formats, and vice
      versa. The current version is 15, but you may be able to find version
      14 or earlier for small change at eBay. I use version 15, but
      typically on single files.

      This would probably be a good purchase for you anyway, as you are
      likely to have lots of other files, not just WP, that you'll want to
      convert to something equivalent on the Mac, or maybe you'll need to
      convert Mac files to Windows format for the benefit of friends and
      associates who still dwell in the shadow lands of Redmond. :-)

      David Derbes
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
        trevorjohnwright said:

        >I'm an experienced Windows user considering switching to Mac, which I
        >barely know.

        For learning the Mac, this book is wonderful:

        Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger edition $19.77
        <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596009410/qid=1115571197/sr
        =8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-8230648-9955160?v=glance&s=books&n=507846>

        or
        http://tinyurl.com/9mwg3

        If this book is too intimidating, you may want to check out:

        Mac OS X Tiger for Dummies by Bob LeVitus
        <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764576755/qid=1120181712/sr
        =1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-9803461-9216658?v=glance&s=books>

        >I have thousands of WordPerfect files which I must
        >retain and, ideally, would like to continue using WP. I know that I
        >can save as Word and these then open in the Mac (Word)I've borrowed to
        >practise on,

        For learning Microsoft Word, I highly recommend either reading a book,
        or, even better, taking a course. This company has a course on CD-ROM
        that is excellent:
        MacAcademy Training CD-ROMs
        http://www.macacademy.com/volumes/

        This is a decent book to help you learn how to do things in Word:
        Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac OS X: Visual QuickStart Guide
        http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321304578

        >but this is hardly a solution, unless anyone knows of a
        >method of converting WP to Word files en masse.

        Several folks have here recommended MacLink Plus converters from DataViz:
        http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html
        I've always found that product to be very disappointing if your documents
        have even the slightest amount of complex formatting. It was included
        with the last versions of WP/Mac when WP/Mac was on the market. One of
        the biggest complaints about WP/Mac back then was poor compatibility with
        Word file format.

        There are a couple more options that might be more satisfactory.

        You could get:
        CrossWords, a WordPerfect to Word conversion utility, and use that to
        convert your WP files to Word on your PC before transferring your files
        over to your Mac. CrossWords will allow your documents to be converted in
        a batch.
        http://www.levitjames.com/crosswords/CrossWords.html

        Another option, and a FREE one, is to Download either:
        AbiWord <http://www.abisource.com/>
        or
        NeoOffice/J <http://www.neooffice.org/java/>
        and use them to open your documents and save them as .doc files for use
        in Word. Both of these programs are free open source programs available
        for the Macintosh. Both use the same exact open source translators.

        Of course, if you like using AbiWord or NeoOffice/J as your main word
        processing application on the Macintosh, there is no reason not to use
        either one of them, as they are both sophistocated word processors that
        can save files in Word or WP format and they can open Word or WP files.
        In fact, if you decide to go with NeoOffice/J or AbiWord as your main
        word processor, there is no need to do a batch conversion of your old WP
        files, you can just open your WP files as you need to and they will be
        converted and then you can work on them and save them in whatever format
        you care to.

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Smokey Ardisson
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
          On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:01:27 -0000, "trevorjohnwright"
          <trevor@...> wrote

          >It may be that WP 3.5 just won't see WP 11 files; or that I'm failing
          >to understand how to open files on the Mac in some elementary way.
          >I'd be grateful for any advice.

          The WP-Win file format is unchanged since WP6, so that's not an
          issue. The problem is that modern Macs are not set up to "tag" the
          files in a way that WP-Mac needs in order to open them--namely, Mac
          OS X needs to have the .wpd extension associated with WordPerfect
          Mac, and WordPerfect Mac needs the files to have the proper type and
          creator codes.

          The first you can fix by selecting any .wpd file in the Finder, doing
          Cmd-I (or Get Info from the File menu), expanding the "Open With..."
          section of the Get Info window, selecting WordPerfect from the
          drop-down list (it probably won't appear by default, so you'll have
          to select "Other..." and navigate to WordPerfect on your hard disk,
          and may have to toggle the drop-down at the top of that dialogue to
          "All Applications") and finally hitting the "Change All..." button.

          This will make .wpd open in WordPerfect when you double click them
          (with a caveat to be fixed below).

          WP-Mac's "Open" dialogue won't recognize the WP-Win files unless they
          have the proper type and creator codes (which were used by the
          "classic" Mac OS as a more sophisticated file-binding mechanism), and
          sometimes WP-Mac crashes when opening a WP-Win file from a
          double-click if the file is missing the type/creator. Fortunately,
          this is an easier fix. John R. and I have put together some tools in
          the Files section of this group that will set the proper type and
          creator when you drop file(s) on them. Grab "Conversion Droplets"
          and "Conversion Tips" from the Conversions folder in the Files
          section of this group's website. (John put things together; I
          contributed :-))

          (Actually, the droplets on the site might only fix one file at a
          time; I have a version that will batch convert, if that's the case.
          There was a discussion about safety vs. utility when we first
          discussed the type/creator issue.)

          Hope this helps,
          Smokey
          --
          Smokey Ardisson
          Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
            <alqahira@m...> wrote:

            > (John put things together; I contributed :-))

            Smokey did the thinking and building; I contributed the
            cardboard box . . .

            > (Actually, the droplets on the site might only fix one file at a
            > time; I have a version that will batch convert, if that's the case.
            > There was a discussion about safety vs. utility when we first
            > discussed the type/creator issue.)

            Smokey, if you send that to me I'll post it here. I always was
            an old lady about keeping users out of trouble . . . :-)

            John R.
          • Smokey Ardisson
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 13, 2005
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@y...> wrote:
              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
              > <alqahira@m...> wrote:
              >
              > > (John put things together; I contributed :-))
              >
              > Smokey did the thinking and building; I contributed the
              > cardboard box . . .

              Well, John and I collaborated :-)

              > > (Actually, the droplets on the site might only fix one file at a
              > > time; I have a version that will batch convert, if that's the case.
              > > There was a discussion about safety vs. utility when we first
              > > discussed the type/creator issue.)
              >
              > Smokey, if you send that to me I'll post it here. I always was
              > an old lady about keeping users out of trouble . . . :-)

              I think that was entirely sensible in the original context, which was fixing a couple of files, if I recall correctly. The current counter-argument of someone bringing over a huge batch of WP PC files didn't occur to me then.

              At any rate, I've just sent John a "beefed up" version of my batch conversion droplet, with expanded protection to help keep people from messing up the wrong files :-) It does require Mac OS X, but if you're using Mac OS 9 or lower, you're really better off getting the proper extension to type/creator mapping set in File Exchange (or the equivalent) to begin with.

              Smokey
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 14, 2005
                Hello,
                I am an experienced Windows/WordPerfect user [currently version 12].
                So, FIRST, let me say that I don't know for sure IF WP/Mac can indeed
                read any/all of your files from such a recent version of WP/Windows.

                SECOND, I suggest that you THINK HARD about switching from PC to Mac
                for the purpose of using WordPerfect. From my own experiences with
                WP, I thought I could switch to my Mac and continue to utilize the full
                potential of WordPerfect (on the PC) -- that simply is NOT the case.
                My best estimate of features/useability on the Mac would be no more
                than 60% at best.

                What most people don't think about or realize about WP Mac (3.5e) is
                that it's approximately equivalent to PC WP version 6 for Windows ....
                or MAYBE version 7 -- AT BEST. PERIOD. Corel has improved
                WordPerfect considerably and included MANY features that has bipassed
                WP Mac and "left it in the dust". After using WP Mac [3.5e] for the
                past 2 months putting it through its paces as much as I can to
                determine how feasible it is to make the switch to the Mac for the
                purpose of WordPerfect, it simply FAILS if you've come to rely on the
                many features and updates the PC WordPerfect has incorporated (and I've
                only used through version 12 so far).

                Of course, you don't need to just take MY word for it ..... USE IT on
                the Mac for a period of time that you deem is necessary to get used to
                the different interface and styles the Mac has. AND .... if you're a
                touch typist, you will CURSE the Mac for it's keyboard layout of the
                navigation keys [at the very least!] if you're so intrenched using the
                PC keyboard layout [navigation] ... as well as the upper ASCII letters
                and symbols.

                This is my 2 cents worth.

                Michael Hammett

                On Aug 13, 2005, at 2:01 AM, trevorjohnwright wrote:
                > I'm an experienced Windows user considering switching to Mac, which I
                > barely know.  I have thousands of WordPerfect files which I must
                > retain and, ideally, would like to continue using WP.  I know that I
                > can save as Word and these then open in the Mac (Word)I've borrowed to
                > practise on, but this is hardly a solution, unless anyone knows of a
                > method of converting WP to Word files en masse.
                >
                > I've downloaded and installed WP 3.5 on the Mac and it runs fine but
                > it doesn't appear to see my WP files.  These are WP 11 files.  When I
                > try to open within WP it just doesn't seem to see them.  If I click on
                > the the files themselves Word runs and fails to convert them.
                >
                > It may be that WP 3.5 just won't see WP 11 files; or that I'm failing
                > to understand how to open files on the Mac in some elementary way.
                > I'd be grateful for any advice.
              • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 15, 2005
                  I recently sent some Wordperfect files Mac 3.5e to a PC user using WP PC
                  12. He was unable to to read the files. in fact he did not even have
                  anything on his PC that would recognize them in any shape form or fashion.

                  THey even had the the three letter code required to transfer files from
                  Mac to PC.

                  I have have the latest version of Office (2004) and I can send Word and
                  Excel Files with no problems to the same person with no problem.

                  If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                  mailto:pjones@...

                  <http://www.vpea.org>
                • David Derbes
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 15, 2005
                    On Aug 15, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

                    > I recently sent some Wordperfect files Mac 3.5e to a PC user using
                    > WP PC
                    > 12. He was unable to to read the files. in fact he did not even have
                    > anything on his PC that would recognize them in any shape form or
                    > fashion.
                    >
                    > THey even had the the three letter code required to transfer files
                    > from
                    > Mac to PC.
                    >
                    > I have have the latest version of Office (2004) and I can send Word
                    > and
                    > Excel Files with no problems to the same person with no problem.

                    I think you need to save the WP Mac files as "WP for PC 6, 7, 8".
                    Give this a try, and send a sample on to your PC user.

                    Good luck!

                    David Derbes
                  • logres@redrose.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 15, 2005
                      I'm not usually a defender of the folks in Redmond, but . . .
                      you can send Mac Word and Excel files to PC users (and
                      have them successfully opened at that end) because
                      Microsoft has built cross-platform compatibility into these
                      applications (and continued to maintain it). Some
                      organizations with mixed platforms choose MS office
                      software for this very reason. To the best of my knowledge,
                      I'm not aware that the various corporations that owned and
                      developed WordPerfect adopted such a strategy. WP Mac
                      seemed to have the capability to import and export WP Win
                      files, but I don't think this went in the other direction.
                      --Rick Albright
                    • Smokey Ardisson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 16, 2005
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1@k...> wrote:
                        > I recently sent some Wordperfect files Mac 3.5e to a PC user using WP PC
                        > 12. He was unable to to read the files. in fact he did not even have
                        > anything on his PC that would recognize them in any shape form or fashion.

                        Once upon a time, WP-Win shipped with a translator that opened WP-Mac 3.1-3.5 files. 3.5e files are a whole different animal (not extensively different, but enough that you need a new/updated translator to handle them). So don't send WP-Mac 3.5e files except to 3.5e-using WP-Mac users :-)

                        I'm not sure if the latest versions of WP-Win still include that translator for 3.1-3.5 files (only time I used it was WP 9, IIRC), so, as David mentioned, your best bet is to save your files first as WP 6-7-8 before sending them to WP-Win users.

                        Smokey