Re: Printing from Classic

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      On Jul 31, 2005, at 9:16 PM, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. wrote:

      > Publish and Subscribe still works within Classic, so I've
      > been happy to find that John R's UltraClip still works.

      That's a surprise, since it no longer works for me! I get a dialog
      saying that the "ds.store" file should not be in the UltraClip
      folder, and haven't had time to update the macros to ignore that
      invisible OSX file in every folder. I wonder why you don't get the
      dialog.

      Meanwhile, for those on OSX getting the error dialog, my
      Glossary 1.4.1, in the Files section here, is updated for OSX.

      > I've run into one glitch, though. When documents made using the
      > following procedure (which I think is nothing new, though I cannot now
      > find the source from which I kept this one instruction) are printed
      > from Classic, the lines do not print except where text has been typed;
      > to get the lines to print correctly I have to restart in 9.2.2. Has
      > anyone run into this?

      I found several posts from several years by searching messages here,
      but don't know how much info would apply to a problem apparently new
      in OSX. IAC underlined spaces print for me, but not tabs. Would using
      spaces be OK? To do that easily, use this nearly-forgotten WP
      feature: put your cursor where you'd like an underline, turn on
      underlining, and press Command-Clear to get the Repeat function, with
      a count that defaults to 8. Your next action, pressing the spacebar,
      will be repeated 8 times. Then turn underlining off. To change the
      repeat count, press Command-Shift-Clear to set the count to, say,
      100. OK that and go back to Command-Clear to activate repeat.

      Or run this macro where you want an underline:

      Get Integer (Var00;5;250;"Underlined Spaces";"Enter number of
      underlined spaces to type:")
      Attribute (On;Underline)
      Repeat
      Type ( )
      Assign (Var01;Var01+1)
      Until (Var01=Var00)
      Attribute (Off;Underline)

      > Kudos to John for revitalizing the WP list, and to John and many of
      > the rest of you for finding ways to keep WP not just working but
      > competitive (I just installed the Freeware PDF Distiller as described
      > on the WP-DOS site, for example, and it works great). Thank you all.

      Ed Mendelson's PDF distiller is excellent and, for Tiger, don't
      forget Gero Hermann's Spotlight plugin (soon to be updated to fix the
      _xx files problem). Company support? Who needs company support?
      Thanks for the kind words.

      John R.
    • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2005
        John, thank you for the macro and other suggestions.

        I finally gave your macro a try, and was VERY HAPPY to find that:

        - the lines it makes print in Classic, and

        - I can type on them, making them suitable for forms, and

        - the entire line prints in Classic, not just the typed-on portion.

        Thank you again! It takes a little work to get the numbers of spaces
        just right, but this really saves the day.

        I played around with the Repeat command too, which I had not known
        about. Interesting. I like your macro better for underlines, but the
        command may have some other uses later.

        Since this thread was a while ago, the problem was:

        > I've run into one glitch, though. When documents made using the
        > following procedure (which I think is nothing new, though I cannot now
        > find the source from which I kept this one instruction) are printed from
        > Classic, the lines do not print except where text has been typed; to get
        > the lines to print correctly I have to restart in 9.2.2. Has anyone run
        > into this?
        >
        >>> *HOW DO I CREATE HORIZONTAL LINES THAT PEOPLE CAN TYPE ON FOR FORMS?
        >>>
        >>> Position your cursor at the beginning of the document, then pull down
        >>> the Style menu and select Other (or press Command-H) to bring up the
        >>> Character Format window. Click in the checkbox next to Tabs in the
        >>> area labeled Continuous Underline, then press OK.
        >>>
        >>> Next, position your cursor where you would like the line to start.
        >>> Click on the first pop up on the Layout Bar, and select Clear Tabs.
        >>> Then, place a tab (by clicking just below the ruler) where you would
        >>> like the line to end. And finally, turn on Underline (from the Style
        >>> menu, or press Command-U), press the <Spacebar> once, press <Tab>,
        >>> then turn off Underline.

        John's solution was:

        > I found several posts from several years by searching messages here,
        > but don't know how much info would apply to a problem apparently new
        > in OSX. IAC underlined spaces print for me, but not tabs. Would using
        > spaces be OK? To do that easily, use this nearly-forgotten WP
        > feature: put your cursor where you'd like an underline, turn on
        > underlining, and press Command-Clear to get the Repeat function, with
        > a count that defaults to 8. Your next action, pressing the spacebar,
        > will be repeated 8 times. Then turn underlining off. To change the
        > repeat count, press Command-Shift-Clear to set the count to, say,
        > 100. OK that and go back to Command-Clear to activate repeat.
        >
        > Or run this macro where you want an underline:

        Get Integer (Var00;5;250;"Underlined Spaces";"Enter number of underlined
        spaces to type:")
        Attribute (On;Underline)
        Repeat
        Type ( )
        Assign (Var01;Var01+1)
        Until (Var01=Var00)
        Attribute (Off;Underline)

        (I pasted the macro itself in without quote marks to make it easier for
        anyone who wants to try it.)

        Tom
      • Philip Utley
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 15, 2005
          I used to be able to save a 30-printed-page article with headings
          and endnotes in WP 3.5ep as WP Windows 6/7/8, and open it in WPWin 8,
          which I run on SoftWindows, an OS 8/9 program, in Windows 95. I have
          also opened WPMac tables via the same conversion, in WPWin. Thia was
          long ago when I was running WPMac in OS 8 or 9, and I may have
          written the document in WP 3 or one of the intermediate releases.

          I was going to advise that people Save As WPWin 6/7/8 to open
          documents with Nisus 2.5. I am now running WP3.5eBeta (which I
          downloaded in the past couple years) on Classic 9.2 in Panther
          10.3.9. I tried opening that old document today in WPWin, with
          endnotes, after saving as WPWin 6/7/8, and it worked. However, when
          I tried to open that document in WPMac, WPMac and classic both
          crashed about 60% of the way through. I tried opening a recent
          document, about 20 printed pages, in both WPMac and WpWin, and it
          opened with endnotes, but only about 2/3 of the document made it
          through the conversion.

          If I have to drop WPMac because of the Intel chip, I've been thinking
          of using WPWin on VirtualPC, since SoftWindows is a dead program and
          VirtualPC runs on OSX.(The major problems I've had with WPWin on
          Windows 95 in SoftWindows were slowness [compared to WPMac] and
          crashes [There were of course all the other Windows inefficiencies].
          That combination of Windows and SoftWindows was supposed to have been
          faster than VirtualPC.The slowness hasn't been a problem lately,
          since the Mac G4 chip and OSX speeded things up. but there are still
          are lots of crashes.)

          I think I have had other problems with the new WPMac 3.5eBeta
          conversions, but I don't remember details. Or the problem may be with
          OSX and Classic (could they be too fast to convert properly?), but it
          seems to be a good time to figure out what is going on.