Re: [wpmac] Reveal Codes

  • Joe Bongiovi
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
      It sounds like he inadvertently hit the function key to "reveal
      codes". Under a DOS 5.1 keyboard, that's the F11 key. I'm not sure
      what it is in the default Mac keyboard mode. Perhaps someone else
      will chime in. In any event, he only needs to hit the key again to
      make the codes window disappear.

      Joe Bongiovi

      On Jul 18, 2005, at 12:55 AM, squint555 wrote:

      > HI. I'm asking this question for an 80 year old friend whose
      > knowledge
      > of wp and macs is very, very limited.
      >
      > He did something recently that causes the formatting codes to be
      > revealed when ever he types or edits a wp document. How does he
      > shutoff those codes permanently? (he never uses them and doesn't know
      > what they mean anyway.) He doesn't know what version wp he has or
      > what
      > mac os.
      >
      > Thanks much.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Frank Mitchell
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
        Hello squint555

        In the menu bar select

        Edit -> Hide 'P'

        where 'P' is the paragraph (Hard Return) symbol

        -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
      • James ARTHURS
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
          Hi.
          Under the 'Edit", with a WordPerfect window open, there is an option
          'Show Codes"
          or, in your friend's case,'Hide Codes'. Clearly, each cancels out the
          other, so your
          friend should click on 'Hide Codes'and just carry on with what he was
          doing.
          Cheers,
          Jimmy.
          ———————————————————————————————————————

          On Jul 18, 2005, at 12:55 AM, squint555 wrote:

          > HI.  I'm asking this question for an 80 year old friend whose knowledge
          > of wp and macs is very, very limited.
          >
          > He did something recently that causes the formatting codes to be
          > revealed when ever he types or edits a wp document.  How does he
          > shutoff those codes permanently? (he never uses them and doesn't know
          > what they mean anyway.)  He doesn't know what version wp he has or
          > what
          > mac os.
          >
          > Thanks much.
          >

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > ▪  Visit your group "wordperfectmac" on the web.

          > Service.

        • John Kaufmann
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
            At 050718 07:55 +0000, squint555 wrote:

            >HI. I'm asking this question for an 80 year old friend ...
            >He did something recently that causes the formatting codes to be
            >revealed when ever he types or edits a wp document.

            He probably hit the key combination Cmd(Apple)-Shft-K (default for
            WP/Mac, unless he is using a custom keyboard mapping, which sounds
            unlikely). He can get rid of the codes with the same key
            combination, which toggles Reveal Codes on and off, or can go via the
            menu:
            Edit -> Hide Codes

            >How does he shutoff those codes permanently?

            Is permanence necessary? Isn't it enough to be able to hide the
            codes -- quickly, even - in the rare case of it happening again?
            --
            John
          • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 28, 2007
              Hi, Everyone.

              I just had a nice reminder of the usefulness of Reveal Codes.

              My office notes, initial and ongoing, use a WP table format. Sometimes
              I print the forms out and write on them in longhand, sometimes I type
              the notes in them. (If my templates for this might be of interest to
              anyone, I will be happy to email them.) Occasionally a paragraph needs
              all but the first line to be indented. Tabbing within a table requires
              the Table Tab command. The default keystroke is command-tab, but in OSX
              this is apparently hardwired for application switching. (In OS 8-9 I
              had reset the application switcher to control-tilde, but in OSX the
              application switcher takes over.) I added other keystrokes for Table
              Tab (command-control-tab, which worked in Classic but for some reason
              will not work in SheepShaver, and now option-shift tab, which works
              fine). The problem is, there is no Table Back Tab command. Before OSX
              with its unchangeable application switcher, command-shift-tab gave you
              back tab in a table, but in OSX this just invokes the application
              switcher going in reverse.

              My workaround was to copy the paragraph from the table and paste it into
              a new document, not a table, then do the indent, then back-tab the usual
              way (shift-tab). I then opened the Reveal Codes window (option F2),
              navigated to the beginning of the paragraph, selected just the Indent
              and Back-Tab codes, and copied them. Nothing was highlighted in the
              main window because the selection did not include any actual text, but
              the Select code showed what was selected. I then returned to the
              beginning of the paragraph in my table document, pasted in the codes,
              and the formatting was exactly as needed. Apparently the codes for Tab
              and Back Tab are the same in a table as outside of a table, only the
              keystrokes for accessing them differ because of the primary use of the
              tab key within tables to navigate between cells.

              Tom

              ===================================
              Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
              Licensed Clinical Psychologist
              1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
              Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
              (708) 848-1611
              fax (708) 848-1436
              tjrostaf@...
              ===================================
            • Peggy Eubanks
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 28, 2007
                I'm a PC WP user and have used WP for at least 23 years. I can't remember
                the version I started out on but I remember 4. It was in Dos then. If I
                had to choose the most important feature that WP had over Word, it would
                have to be reveal codes. WP has many things "over" Word but reveal codes is
                such an important feature.

                On 9/28/07, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. <TJRostaf@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Everyone.
                >
                > I just had a nice reminder of the usefulness of Reveal Codes.
              • David Patterson
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
                  I found Reveal Codes to be invaluable. I create a newsletter, often
                  using content from web pages and email documents.
                  Often, when this content is simply pasted or imported into PageMaker
                  there are goofy line breaks. By first pasting the text into Word
                  Perfect and using Reveal Codes, I can find/replace all the offending
                  soft returns with one operation. When, I copy the text from there into
                  PageMaker it appears, well, Perfect.
                  I only wish the printer accepted WP files.
                • Daniel Midgley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 17, 2008
                    No one's mentioned my favourite use of Reveal Codes yet.

                    Did you know (not you, John, of course you did) that you can copy and
                    paste whole watermarks from document to document using Reveal Codes?

                    Just find the 'Watermark' code, select it using the arrows while
                    holding down shift, and then copy and paste to another document. Even
                    if it has a hundred shapes in it.

                    At least, I think it still works.

                    Daniel
                    (ex-WP Mac Tech Support guy)
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                    Daniel Midgley
                    University of Western Australia, Linguistics
                    dmidgley at cyllene dot uwa dot edu dot au
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 17, 2008
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Midgley <dmidgley@...> wrote:

                      > No one's mentioned my favourite use of Reveal Codes yet.
                      >
                      > Did you know (not you, John, of course you did) that you can copy and
                      > paste whole watermarks from document to document using Reveal Codes?
                      >
                      > Just find the 'Watermark' code, select it using the arrows while
                      > holding down shift, and then copy and paste to another document. Even
                      > if it has a hundred shapes in it.

                      Hi Daniel!

                      Great to hear from you. For newer list members, Dan was an editor
                      of the excellent WP Mac News, all issues of which are available in the
                      Files section here. A text reduction of each issue is also included in
                      the message archives, primarily to support searching.

                      The Mac Tech Support staff of WordPerfect published the monthly
                      Mac News from January 1995 through March 1997. In contrast to
                      a product supported by a corporation, the News was produced by
                      this group of employees on their own initiative and with their own
                      resources. The result illustrates not only the quality of the
                      support team but the enthusiasm felt by all users of this word
                      processing program, an enthusiasm probably unequalled in
                      Macintosh history.

                      With the capable editing of Daniel Midgley and Lisa Ginn Foster,
                      the News became a popular online source for tips, macros, FAQs
                      and general articles on how to use the program better.

                      John R.
                    • armando83014
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 5, 2008
                        Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                        Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                        w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                        that has it or similar function.
                        Thanks,
                        Armando
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 5, 2008
                          Armando

                          No. Word's is a poor approximation. What's the issue with setting up
                          sheepshaver on an intel mac? Maybe the group can help. It took me
                          about half an hour (including copying files across) to set it up
                          exactly as I wanted it. After that, launching sheepshaver and then WP
                          under sheepshaver is still quicker than launching Word 2008.

                          Geoff

                          >Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                          >Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                          >w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                          >that has it or similar function.
                          >Thanks,
                          >Armando

                        • Edward Mendelson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6, 2008
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "armando83014" <armandowyoming@...> wrote:

                            > Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                            > Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                            > w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                            > that has it or similar function.

                            I don't think any other word-processing program uses Reveal Codes.
                          • John Rehwinkel
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                              >> Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                              >> Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                              >> w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                              >> that has it or similar function.
                              >
                              > I don't think any other word-processing program uses Reveal Codes.

                              Apple's Pages has a useful function for this. View → Show Invisibles
                              (⇑⌘I).

                              – John
                            • armando83014
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                                Thanks to all for the information. I was afraid that
                                there is no option. I may to you up on offer to help
                                on setting up my new intel-Mac.
                                Armando

                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@...> wrote:

                                > >> Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                                > >> Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                                > >> w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                                > >> that has it or similar function.
                                > >
                                > > I don't think any other word-processing program uses Reveal Codes.
                                >
                                > Apple's Pages has a useful function for this. View â†' Show Invisibles
                                > (â‡`⌘I).
                                >
                                > â€" John

                              • Luiz
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 8, 2008
                                  On 07/09/2008, at 14:02, John Rehwinkel wrote:

                                  > >> Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                                  > >> Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                                  > >> w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                                  > >> that has it or similar function.
                                  > >
                                  > > I don't think any other word-processing program uses Reveal Codes.
                                  >
                                  > Apple's Pages has a useful function for this. View → Show Invisibles
                                  > (⇑⌘I).
                                  >
                                  > – John

                                  Ops! It reveals only "return" and the like, but not "bold" or "italic"
                                  etc. as the old good WP does.

                                  Salute!