Reveal Codes

  • squint555
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
      HI. I'm asking this question for an 80 year old friend whose knowledge
      of wp and macs is very, very limited.

      He did something recently that causes the formatting codes to be
      revealed when ever he types or edits a wp document. How does he
      shutoff those codes permanently? (he never uses them and doesn't know
      what they mean anyway.) He doesn't know what version wp he has or what
      mac os.

      Thanks much.
    • Joe Bongiovi
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
        It sounds like he inadvertently hit the function key to "reveal
        codes". Under a DOS 5.1 keyboard, that's the F11 key. I'm not sure
        what it is in the default Mac keyboard mode. Perhaps someone else
        will chime in. In any event, he only needs to hit the key again to
        make the codes window disappear.

        Joe Bongiovi

        On Jul 18, 2005, at 12:55 AM, squint555 wrote:

        > HI. I'm asking this question for an 80 year old friend whose
        > knowledge
        > of wp and macs is very, very limited.
        >
        > He did something recently that causes the formatting codes to be
        > revealed when ever he types or edits a wp document. How does he
        > shutoff those codes permanently? (he never uses them and doesn't know
        > what they mean anyway.) He doesn't know what version wp he has or
        > what
        > mac os.
        >
        > Thanks much.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Frank Mitchell
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
          Hello squint555

          In the menu bar select

          Edit -> Hide 'P'

          where 'P' is the paragraph (Hard Return) symbol

          -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
        • James ARTHURS
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
            Hi.
            Under the 'Edit", with a WordPerfect window open, there is an option
            'Show Codes"
            or, in your friend's case,'Hide Codes'. Clearly, each cancels out the
            other, so your
            friend should click on 'Hide Codes'and just carry on with what he was
            doing.
            Cheers,
            Jimmy.
            ———————————————————————————————————————

            On Jul 18, 2005, at 12:55 AM, squint555 wrote:

            > HI.  I'm asking this question for an 80 year old friend whose knowledge
            > of wp and macs is very, very limited.
            >
            > He did something recently that causes the formatting codes to be
            > revealed when ever he types or edits a wp document.  How does he
            > shutoff those codes permanently? (he never uses them and doesn't know
            > what they mean anyway.)  He doesn't know what version wp he has or
            > what
            > mac os.
            >
            > Thanks much.
            >

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > ▪  Visit your group "wordperfectmac" on the web.

            > Service.

          • John Kaufmann
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 18, 2005
              At 050718 07:55 +0000, squint555 wrote:

              >HI. I'm asking this question for an 80 year old friend ...
              >He did something recently that causes the formatting codes to be
              >revealed when ever he types or edits a wp document.

              He probably hit the key combination Cmd(Apple)-Shft-K (default for
              WP/Mac, unless he is using a custom keyboard mapping, which sounds
              unlikely). He can get rid of the codes with the same key
              combination, which toggles Reveal Codes on and off, or can go via the
              menu:
              Edit -> Hide Codes

              >How does he shutoff those codes permanently?

              Is permanence necessary? Isn't it enough to be able to hide the
              codes -- quickly, even - in the rare case of it happening again?
              --
              John
            • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 28, 2007
                Hi, Everyone.

                I just had a nice reminder of the usefulness of Reveal Codes.

                My office notes, initial and ongoing, use a WP table format. Sometimes
                I print the forms out and write on them in longhand, sometimes I type
                the notes in them. (If my templates for this might be of interest to
                anyone, I will be happy to email them.) Occasionally a paragraph needs
                all but the first line to be indented. Tabbing within a table requires
                the Table Tab command. The default keystroke is command-tab, but in OSX
                this is apparently hardwired for application switching. (In OS 8-9 I
                had reset the application switcher to control-tilde, but in OSX the
                application switcher takes over.) I added other keystrokes for Table
                Tab (command-control-tab, which worked in Classic but for some reason
                will not work in SheepShaver, and now option-shift tab, which works
                fine). The problem is, there is no Table Back Tab command. Before OSX
                with its unchangeable application switcher, command-shift-tab gave you
                back tab in a table, but in OSX this just invokes the application
                switcher going in reverse.

                My workaround was to copy the paragraph from the table and paste it into
                a new document, not a table, then do the indent, then back-tab the usual
                way (shift-tab). I then opened the Reveal Codes window (option F2),
                navigated to the beginning of the paragraph, selected just the Indent
                and Back-Tab codes, and copied them. Nothing was highlighted in the
                main window because the selection did not include any actual text, but
                the Select code showed what was selected. I then returned to the
                beginning of the paragraph in my table document, pasted in the codes,
                and the formatting was exactly as needed. Apparently the codes for Tab
                and Back Tab are the same in a table as outside of a table, only the
                keystrokes for accessing them differ because of the primary use of the
                tab key within tables to navigate between cells.

                Tom

                ===================================
                Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
                Licensed Clinical Psychologist
                1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
                Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
                (708) 848-1611
                fax (708) 848-1436
                tjrostaf@...
                ===================================
              • Peggy Eubanks
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 28, 2007
                  I'm a PC WP user and have used WP for at least 23 years. I can't remember
                  the version I started out on but I remember 4. It was in Dos then. If I
                  had to choose the most important feature that WP had over Word, it would
                  have to be reveal codes. WP has many things "over" Word but reveal codes is
                  such an important feature.

                  On 9/28/07, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. <TJRostaf@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, Everyone.
                  >
                  > I just had a nice reminder of the usefulness of Reveal Codes.
                • David Patterson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
                    I found Reveal Codes to be invaluable. I create a newsletter, often
                    using content from web pages and email documents.
                    Often, when this content is simply pasted or imported into PageMaker
                    there are goofy line breaks. By first pasting the text into Word
                    Perfect and using Reveal Codes, I can find/replace all the offending
                    soft returns with one operation. When, I copy the text from there into
                    PageMaker it appears, well, Perfect.
                    I only wish the printer accepted WP files.
                  • Daniel Midgley
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 17, 2008
                      No one's mentioned my favourite use of Reveal Codes yet.

                      Did you know (not you, John, of course you did) that you can copy and
                      paste whole watermarks from document to document using Reveal Codes?

                      Just find the 'Watermark' code, select it using the arrows while
                      holding down shift, and then copy and paste to another document. Even
                      if it has a hundred shapes in it.

                      At least, I think it still works.

                      Daniel
                      (ex-WP Mac Tech Support guy)
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                      Daniel Midgley
                      University of Western Australia, Linguistics
                      dmidgley at cyllene dot uwa dot edu dot au
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 17, 2008
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Midgley <dmidgley@...> wrote:

                        > No one's mentioned my favourite use of Reveal Codes yet.
                        >
                        > Did you know (not you, John, of course you did) that you can copy and
                        > paste whole watermarks from document to document using Reveal Codes?
                        >
                        > Just find the 'Watermark' code, select it using the arrows while
                        > holding down shift, and then copy and paste to another document. Even
                        > if it has a hundred shapes in it.

                        Hi Daniel!

                        Great to hear from you. For newer list members, Dan was an editor
                        of the excellent WP Mac News, all issues of which are available in the
                        Files section here. A text reduction of each issue is also included in
                        the message archives, primarily to support searching.

                        The Mac Tech Support staff of WordPerfect published the monthly
                        Mac News from January 1995 through March 1997. In contrast to
                        a product supported by a corporation, the News was produced by
                        this group of employees on their own initiative and with their own
                        resources. The result illustrates not only the quality of the
                        support team but the enthusiasm felt by all users of this word
                        processing program, an enthusiasm probably unequalled in
                        Macintosh history.

                        With the capable editing of Daniel Midgley and Lisa Ginn Foster,
                        the News became a popular online source for tips, macros, FAQs
                        and general articles on how to use the program better.

                        John R.
                      • armando83014
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 5, 2008
                          Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                          Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                          w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                          that has it or similar function.
                          Thanks,
                          Armando
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 5, 2008
                            Armando

                            No. Word's is a poor approximation. What's the issue with setting up
                            sheepshaver on an intel mac? Maybe the group can help. It took me
                            about half an hour (including copying files across) to set it up
                            exactly as I wanted it. After that, launching sheepshaver and then WP
                            under sheepshaver is still quicker than launching Word 2008.

                            Geoff

                            >Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                            >Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                            >w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                            >that has it or similar function.
                            >Thanks,
                            >Armando

                          • Edward Mendelson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 6, 2008
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "armando83014" <armandowyoming@...> wrote:

                              > Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                              > Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                              > w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                              > that has it or similar function.

                              I don't think any other word-processing program uses Reveal Codes.
                            • John Rehwinkel
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                                >> Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                                >> Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                                >> w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                                >> that has it or similar function.
                                >
                                > I don't think any other word-processing program uses Reveal Codes.

                                Apple's Pages has a useful function for this. View → Show Invisibles
                                (⇑⌘I).

                                – John
                              • armando83014
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                                  Thanks to all for the information. I was afraid that
                                  there is no option. I may to you up on offer to help
                                  on setting up my new intel-Mac.
                                  Armando

                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@...> wrote:

                                  > >> Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                                  > >> Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                                  > >> w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                                  > >> that has it or similar function.
                                  > >
                                  > > I don't think any other word-processing program uses Reveal Codes.
                                  >
                                  > Apple's Pages has a useful function for this. View â†' Show Invisibles
                                  > (â‡`⌘I).
                                  >
                                  > â€" John

                                • Luiz
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 8, 2008
                                    On 07/09/2008, at 14:02, John Rehwinkel wrote:

                                    > >> Long time wordperfect for mac/classic user, now trying to set up
                                    > >> Intel-based wordperfect. Difficult. The one function I can't work
                                    > >> w/o is Reveal Codes. Is there any other word processing program
                                    > >> that has it or similar function.
                                    > >
                                    > > I don't think any other word-processing program uses Reveal Codes.
                                    >
                                    > Apple's Pages has a useful function for this. View → Show Invisibles
                                    > (⇑⌘I).
                                    >
                                    > – John

                                    Ops! It reveals only "return" and the like, but not "bold" or "italic"
                                    etc. as the old good WP does.

                                    Salute!