Re: Newbie question

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17 8:26 PM
      On Jul 17, 2005, at 5:44 PM, J Busch wrote:

      > Good news, v1.0.2 worked! It took some work though.
      > I got the <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event
      > AkuaAkuS>> message, even though I had Akua Sweet
      > installed. The problem was that the script was set to
      > run in OS X, so changed it to run in OS 9. A simple
      > Get Info and check the run in OS 9 box fixed
      > everything.

      Good to know. I set the script to run in the Classic environment
      before posting it, but apparently it doesn't always download that way.

      > Also, I have a few questiongs about scripting. I am
      > trying to understand the command calls to Akua and how
      > they work. I figured out that all of Akua's commands
      > are viewable through the dictionary. But how do you
      > know the <<event name>> such as AkuaAkuS (to get the
      > version number), when the dictionary has it listed as
      > "Akua Version"? I am new to applescripts and
      > appreciate any guidance on where to find good
      > tutorials and examples. My background is in C & Ada.

      The "Smile" free script editor, and maybe also Script Debugger 3, can
      give you the raw event, e.g. "<<AkuaAkuS>>", from an osax or program
      scripting command.

      Raw events are most useful when writing a script that may be directed
      to one application or another. I wrote "Surfer", a script that tells
      a browser to open multiple URLs contained in a text file. Rather than
      identify an app by name (which Applescript will compile as an alias
      to the file), e.g.

      tell application "Safari"
      --open a link
      end tell

      I have the user choose any browser:

      set myBrowser to (choose file of type "APPL" with prompt "Where is
      your web browser?")

      and then send that as-yet-unknown app a link to open:

      <<event WWW!OURL>> theLink

      There's some good discussion of this at applescriptsourcebook.com,
      but a Google search of the newsgroups alt.comp.lang.applescript might
      have more to offer.

      John R.
    • wacker_dennis
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
        Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook. Have used it previously on several
        Macs. The installation went off without a hitch except for the splash screen. Everytime I
        click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor and if I then
        click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't understand the <<event>
        AkuaAkuS>>". I found a similar message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
        Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to Get Info and checking the run in OS
        9 box. I don't see any such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash screen
        installer. What am I doing wrong?

        I got around the problem by copying the English (USA) file on my desktop G4 and placing
        it in the WordPerfect folder on my iBook. Works fine now but I really want to know why I
        cannot get it to work following the steps outlined in the WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2 ReadMe.
        I'm running OS 10.4.3 on a current model 14 inch iBook (purchased in August 2005).

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
          > Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook.
          > Have used it previously on several Macs. The installation
          > went off without a hitch except for the splash screen.
          > Everytime I click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen
          > 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor

          I don't understand how you're going to Script Editor with
          this. The installer is an applet, i.e. an application that runs
          when double clicked, rather than opening the editor.

          > and if I then
          > click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't
          > understand the <<event> AkuaAkuS>>".

          Have you installed the Akua Sweets scripting addition (osax),
          in the Scripting Additions folder in your [Classic] System Folder,
          and restarted Classic?

          > I found a similar
          > message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
          > Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to
          > Get Info and checking the run in OS 9 box. I don't see any
          > such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash
          > screen installer. What am I doing wrong?

          My Get Info screen for a newly downloaded copy of the Installer
          shows that box as checked.