Re: [wpmac] Re: Newbie question

  • J Busch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17 5:44 PM
      Good news, v1.0.2 worked! It took some work though.
      I got the <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event
      AkuaAkuS>> message, even though I had Akua Sweet
      installed. The problem was that the script was set to
      run in OS X, so changed it to run in OS 9. A simple
      Get Info and check the run in OS 9 box fixed
      everything.

      Also, I have a few questiongs about scripting. I am
      trying to understand the command calls to Akua and how
      they work. I figured out that all of Akua's commands
      are viewable through the dictionary. But how do you
      know the <<event name>> such as AkuaAkuS (to get the
      version number), when the dictionary has it listed as
      "Akua Version"? I am new to applescripts and
      appreciate any guidance on where to find good
      tutorials and examples. My background is in C & Ada.

      Thank you,
      -Jonathan

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17 8:26 PM
        On Jul 17, 2005, at 5:44 PM, J Busch wrote:

        > Good news, v1.0.2 worked! It took some work though.
        > I got the <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event
        > AkuaAkuS>> message, even though I had Akua Sweet
        > installed. The problem was that the script was set to
        > run in OS X, so changed it to run in OS 9. A simple
        > Get Info and check the run in OS 9 box fixed
        > everything.

        Good to know. I set the script to run in the Classic environment
        before posting it, but apparently it doesn't always download that way.

        > Also, I have a few questiongs about scripting. I am
        > trying to understand the command calls to Akua and how
        > they work. I figured out that all of Akua's commands
        > are viewable through the dictionary. But how do you
        > know the <<event name>> such as AkuaAkuS (to get the
        > version number), when the dictionary has it listed as
        > "Akua Version"? I am new to applescripts and
        > appreciate any guidance on where to find good
        > tutorials and examples. My background is in C & Ada.

        The "Smile" free script editor, and maybe also Script Debugger 3, can
        give you the raw event, e.g. "<<AkuaAkuS>>", from an osax or program
        scripting command.

        Raw events are most useful when writing a script that may be directed
        to one application or another. I wrote "Surfer", a script that tells
        a browser to open multiple URLs contained in a text file. Rather than
        identify an app by name (which Applescript will compile as an alias
        to the file), e.g.

        tell application "Safari"
        --open a link
        end tell

        I have the user choose any browser:

        set myBrowser to (choose file of type "APPL" with prompt "Where is
        your web browser?")

        and then send that as-yet-unknown app a link to open:

        <<event WWW!OURL>> theLink

        There's some good discussion of this at applescriptsourcebook.com,
        but a Google search of the newsgroups alt.comp.lang.applescript might
        have more to offer.

        John R.
      • wacker_dennis
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
          Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook. Have used it previously on several
          Macs. The installation went off without a hitch except for the splash screen. Everytime I
          click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor and if I then
          click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't understand the <<event>
          AkuaAkuS>>". I found a similar message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
          Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to Get Info and checking the run in OS
          9 box. I don't see any such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash screen
          installer. What am I doing wrong?

          I got around the problem by copying the English (USA) file on my desktop G4 and placing
          it in the WordPerfect folder on my iBook. Works fine now but I really want to know why I
          cannot get it to work following the steps outlined in the WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2 ReadMe.
          I'm running OS 10.4.3 on a current model 14 inch iBook (purchased in August 2005).

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
            > Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook.
            > Have used it previously on several Macs. The installation
            > went off without a hitch except for the splash screen.
            > Everytime I click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen
            > 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor

            I don't understand how you're going to Script Editor with
            this. The installer is an applet, i.e. an application that runs
            when double clicked, rather than opening the editor.

            > and if I then
            > click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't
            > understand the <<event> AkuaAkuS>>".

            Have you installed the Akua Sweets scripting addition (osax),
            in the Scripting Additions folder in your [Classic] System Folder,
            and restarted Classic?

            > I found a similar
            > message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
            > Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to
            > Get Info and checking the run in OS 9 box. I don't see any
            > such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash
            > screen installer. What am I doing wrong?

            My Get Info screen for a newly downloaded copy of the Installer
            shows that box as checked.