Re: [wpmac] Re: Newbie question

  • J Busch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
      I am running 10.4.2 and will download and install the
      update. Thank you very much.
      -Jonathan

      --- John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "job4031"
      > <job4031@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > I am now trying to install John's WP4 Splash
      > screen 1.0.1.
      > > I have installed the Akua Sweets 1.4.3, but when I
      > run it
      > > and select the English (USA) file it tells me
      > "can't make
      > > some data into the expected type". Any ideas on
      > what I
      > > did wrong and how to fix this?
      >
      > I'm getting that here, on OS 10.4.1. What's going on
      > is that
      > the script has the Finder do a couple of things, and
      > the OSX
      > Finder does things a little differently. I'll post
      > an update.
      >
      > What OS are you on?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • J Busch
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
        Good news, v1.0.2 worked! It took some work though.
        I got the <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event
        AkuaAkuS>> message, even though I had Akua Sweet
        installed. The problem was that the script was set to
        run in OS X, so changed it to run in OS 9. A simple
        Get Info and check the run in OS 9 box fixed
        everything.

        Also, I have a few questiongs about scripting. I am
        trying to understand the command calls to Akua and how
        they work. I figured out that all of Akua's commands
        are viewable through the dictionary. But how do you
        know the <<event name>> such as AkuaAkuS (to get the
        version number), when the dictionary has it listed as
        "Akua Version"? I am new to applescripts and
        appreciate any guidance on where to find good
        tutorials and examples. My background is in C & Ada.

        Thank you,

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
          On Jul 17, 2005, at 5:44 PM, J Busch wrote:

          > Good news, v1.0.2 worked! It took some work though.
          > I got the <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event
          > AkuaAkuS>> message, even though I had Akua Sweet
          > installed. The problem was that the script was set to
          > run in OS X, so changed it to run in OS 9. A simple
          > Get Info and check the run in OS 9 box fixed
          > everything.

          Good to know. I set the script to run in the Classic environment
          before posting it, but apparently it doesn't always download that way.

          > Also, I have a few questiongs about scripting. I am
          > trying to understand the command calls to Akua and how
          > they work. I figured out that all of Akua's commands
          > are viewable through the dictionary. But how do you
          > know the <<event name>> such as AkuaAkuS (to get the
          > version number), when the dictionary has it listed as
          > "Akua Version"? I am new to applescripts and
          > appreciate any guidance on where to find good
          > tutorials and examples. My background is in C & Ada.

          The "Smile" free script editor, and maybe also Script Debugger 3, can
          give you the raw event, e.g. "<<AkuaAkuS>>", from an osax or program
          scripting command.

          Raw events are most useful when writing a script that may be directed
          to one application or another. I wrote "Surfer", a script that tells
          a browser to open multiple URLs contained in a text file. Rather than
          identify an app by name (which Applescript will compile as an alias
          to the file), e.g.

          tell application "Safari"
          --open a link
          end tell

          I have the user choose any browser:

          set myBrowser to (choose file of type "APPL" with prompt "Where is
          your web browser?")

          and then send that as-yet-unknown app a link to open:

          <<event WWW!OURL>> theLink

          There's some good discussion of this at applescriptsourcebook.com,
          but a Google search of the newsgroups alt.comp.lang.applescript might
          have more to offer.

          John R.
        • wacker_dennis
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
            Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook. Have used it previously on several
            Macs. The installation went off without a hitch except for the splash screen. Everytime I
            click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor and if I then
            click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't understand the <<event>
            AkuaAkuS>>". I found a similar message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
            Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to Get Info and checking the run in OS
            9 box. I don't see any such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash screen
            installer. What am I doing wrong?

            I got around the problem by copying the English (USA) file on my desktop G4 and placing
            it in the WordPerfect folder on my iBook. Works fine now but I really want to know why I
            cannot get it to work following the steps outlined in the WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2 ReadMe.
            I'm running OS 10.4.3 on a current model 14 inch iBook (purchased in August 2005).

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
              > Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook.
              > Have used it previously on several Macs. The installation
              > went off without a hitch except for the splash screen.
              > Everytime I click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen
              > 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor

              I don't understand how you're going to Script Editor with
              this. The installer is an applet, i.e. an application that runs
              when double clicked, rather than opening the editor.

              > and if I then
              > click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't
              > understand the <<event> AkuaAkuS>>".

              Have you installed the Akua Sweets scripting addition (osax),
              in the Scripting Additions folder in your [Classic] System Folder,
              and restarted Classic?

              > I found a similar
              > message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
              > Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to
              > Get Info and checking the run in OS 9 box. I don't see any
              > such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash
              > screen installer. What am I doing wrong?

              My Get Info screen for a newly downloaded copy of the Installer
              shows that box as checked.