Re: Newbie question

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "job4031" <job4031@y...> wrote:

      > I am now trying to install John's WP4 Splash screen 1.0.1.
      > I have installed the Akua Sweets 1.4.3, but when I run it
      > and select the English (USA) file it tells me "can't make
      > some data into the expected type". Any ideas on what I
      > did wrong and how to fix this?

      I'm getting that here, on OS 10.4.1. What's going on is that
      the script has the Finder do a couple of things, and the OSX
      Finder does things a little differently. I'll post an update.

      What OS are you on?

      John R.
    • J Busch
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
        I am running 10.4.2 and will download and install the
        update. Thank you very much.
        -Jonathan

        --- John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "job4031"
        > <job4031@y...> wrote:
        >
        > > I am now trying to install John's WP4 Splash
        > screen 1.0.1.
        > > I have installed the Akua Sweets 1.4.3, but when I
        > run it
        > > and select the English (USA) file it tells me
        > "can't make
        > > some data into the expected type". Any ideas on
        > what I
        > > did wrong and how to fix this?
        >
        > I'm getting that here, on OS 10.4.1. What's going on
        > is that
        > the script has the Finder do a couple of things, and
        > the OSX
        > Finder does things a little differently. I'll post
        > an update.
        >
        > What OS are you on?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • J Busch
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
          Good news, v1.0.2 worked! It took some work though.
          I got the <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event
          AkuaAkuS>> message, even though I had Akua Sweet
          installed. The problem was that the script was set to
          run in OS X, so changed it to run in OS 9. A simple
          Get Info and check the run in OS 9 box fixed
          everything.

          Also, I have a few questiongs about scripting. I am
          trying to understand the command calls to Akua and how
          they work. I figured out that all of Akua's commands
          are viewable through the dictionary. But how do you
          know the <<event name>> such as AkuaAkuS (to get the
          version number), when the dictionary has it listed as
          "Akua Version"? I am new to applescripts and
          appreciate any guidance on where to find good
          tutorials and examples. My background is in C & Ada.

          Thank you,

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
            On Jul 17, 2005, at 5:44 PM, J Busch wrote:

            > Good news, v1.0.2 worked! It took some work though.
            > I got the <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event
            > AkuaAkuS>> message, even though I had Akua Sweet
            > installed. The problem was that the script was set to
            > run in OS X, so changed it to run in OS 9. A simple
            > Get Info and check the run in OS 9 box fixed
            > everything.

            Good to know. I set the script to run in the Classic environment
            before posting it, but apparently it doesn't always download that way.

            > Also, I have a few questiongs about scripting. I am
            > trying to understand the command calls to Akua and how
            > they work. I figured out that all of Akua's commands
            > are viewable through the dictionary. But how do you
            > know the <<event name>> such as AkuaAkuS (to get the
            > version number), when the dictionary has it listed as
            > "Akua Version"? I am new to applescripts and
            > appreciate any guidance on where to find good
            > tutorials and examples. My background is in C & Ada.

            The "Smile" free script editor, and maybe also Script Debugger 3, can
            give you the raw event, e.g. "<<AkuaAkuS>>", from an osax or program
            scripting command.

            Raw events are most useful when writing a script that may be directed
            to one application or another. I wrote "Surfer", a script that tells
            a browser to open multiple URLs contained in a text file. Rather than
            identify an app by name (which Applescript will compile as an alias
            to the file), e.g.

            tell application "Safari"
            --open a link
            end tell

            I have the user choose any browser:

            set myBrowser to (choose file of type "APPL" with prompt "Where is
            your web browser?")

            and then send that as-yet-unknown app a link to open:

            <<event WWW!OURL>> theLink

            There's some good discussion of this at applescriptsourcebook.com,
            but a Google search of the newsgroups alt.comp.lang.applescript might
            have more to offer.

            John R.
          • wacker_dennis
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
              Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook. Have used it previously on several
              Macs. The installation went off without a hitch except for the splash screen. Everytime I
              click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor and if I then
              click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't understand the <<event>
              AkuaAkuS>>". I found a similar message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
              Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to Get Info and checking the run in OS
              9 box. I don't see any such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash screen
              installer. What am I doing wrong?

              I got around the problem by copying the English (USA) file on my desktop G4 and placing
              it in the WordPerfect folder on my iBook. Works fine now but I really want to know why I
              cannot get it to work following the steps outlined in the WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2 ReadMe.
              I'm running OS 10.4.3 on a current model 14 inch iBook (purchased in August 2005).

              Thanks,

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
                > Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook.
                > Have used it previously on several Macs. The installation
                > went off without a hitch except for the splash screen.
                > Everytime I click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen
                > 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor

                I don't understand how you're going to Script Editor with
                this. The installer is an applet, i.e. an application that runs
                when double clicked, rather than opening the editor.

                > and if I then
                > click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't
                > understand the <<event> AkuaAkuS>>".

                Have you installed the Akua Sweets scripting addition (osax),
                in the Scripting Additions folder in your [Classic] System Folder,
                and restarted Classic?

                > I found a similar
                > message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
                > Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to
                > Get Info and checking the run in OS 9 box. I don't see any
                > such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash
                > screen installer. What am I doing wrong?

                My Get Info screen for a newly downloaded copy of the Installer
                shows that box as checked.