Newbie question

  • job4031
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2005
      I am in the process of installing WP 3.5e to my new mac mini. I downloaded 3.5e along with
      the OS 8-9 update patch. I followed the instructions to fix the outline macros and then ran
      the OS 8-9 update patch on the WP executable and the English (USA) language file. This all
      seemed to go okay.

      My problem is that I am now trying to install John's WP4 Splash screen 1.0.1. I have installed
      the Akua Sweets 1.4.3, but when I run it and select the English (USA) file it tells me "can't
      make some data into the expected type". Any ideas on what I did wrong and how to fix this?
      Thank you,
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "job4031" <job4031@y...> wrote:

        > I am now trying to install John's WP4 Splash screen 1.0.1.
        > I have installed the Akua Sweets 1.4.3, but when I run it
        > and select the English (USA) file it tells me "can't make
        > some data into the expected type". Any ideas on what I
        > did wrong and how to fix this?

        I'm getting that here, on OS 10.4.1. What's going on is that
        the script has the Finder do a couple of things, and the OSX
        Finder does things a little differently. I'll post an update.

        What OS are you on?

        John R.
      • J Busch
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
          I am running 10.4.2 and will download and install the
          update. Thank you very much.
          -Jonathan

          --- John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "job4031"
          > <job4031@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > I am now trying to install John's WP4 Splash
          > screen 1.0.1.
          > > I have installed the Akua Sweets 1.4.3, but when I
          > run it
          > > and select the English (USA) file it tells me
          > "can't make
          > > some data into the expected type". Any ideas on
          > what I
          > > did wrong and how to fix this?
          >
          > I'm getting that here, on OS 10.4.1. What's going on
          > is that
          > the script has the Finder do a couple of things, and
          > the OSX
          > Finder does things a little differently. I'll post
          > an update.
          >
          > What OS are you on?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • J Busch
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
            Good news, v1.0.2 worked! It took some work though.
            I got the <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event
            AkuaAkuS>> message, even though I had Akua Sweet
            installed. The problem was that the script was set to
            run in OS X, so changed it to run in OS 9. A simple
            Get Info and check the run in OS 9 box fixed
            everything.

            Also, I have a few questiongs about scripting. I am
            trying to understand the command calls to Akua and how
            they work. I figured out that all of Akua's commands
            are viewable through the dictionary. But how do you
            know the <<event name>> such as AkuaAkuS (to get the
            version number), when the dictionary has it listed as
            "Akua Version"? I am new to applescripts and
            appreciate any guidance on where to find good
            tutorials and examples. My background is in C & Ada.

            Thank you,

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
              On Jul 17, 2005, at 5:44 PM, J Busch wrote:

              > Good news, v1.0.2 worked! It took some work though.
              > I got the <<script>> doesn't understand the <<event
              > AkuaAkuS>> message, even though I had Akua Sweet
              > installed. The problem was that the script was set to
              > run in OS X, so changed it to run in OS 9. A simple
              > Get Info and check the run in OS 9 box fixed
              > everything.

              Good to know. I set the script to run in the Classic environment
              before posting it, but apparently it doesn't always download that way.

              > Also, I have a few questiongs about scripting. I am
              > trying to understand the command calls to Akua and how
              > they work. I figured out that all of Akua's commands
              > are viewable through the dictionary. But how do you
              > know the <<event name>> such as AkuaAkuS (to get the
              > version number), when the dictionary has it listed as
              > "Akua Version"? I am new to applescripts and
              > appreciate any guidance on where to find good
              > tutorials and examples. My background is in C & Ada.

              The "Smile" free script editor, and maybe also Script Debugger 3, can
              give you the raw event, e.g. "<<AkuaAkuS>>", from an osax or program
              scripting command.

              Raw events are most useful when writing a script that may be directed
              to one application or another. I wrote "Surfer", a script that tells
              a browser to open multiple URLs contained in a text file. Rather than
              identify an app by name (which Applescript will compile as an alias
              to the file), e.g.

              tell application "Safari"
              --open a link
              end tell

              I have the user choose any browser:

              set myBrowser to (choose file of type "APPL" with prompt "Where is
              your web browser?")

              and then send that as-yet-unknown app a link to open:

              <<event WWW!OURL>> theLink

              There's some good discussion of this at applescriptsourcebook.com,
              but a Google search of the newsgroups alt.comp.lang.applescript might
              have more to offer.

              John R.
            • wacker_dennis
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
                Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook. Have used it previously on several
                Macs. The installation went off without a hitch except for the splash screen. Everytime I
                click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor and if I then
                click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't understand the <<event>
                AkuaAkuS>>". I found a similar message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
                Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to Get Info and checking the run in OS
                9 box. I don't see any such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash screen
                installer. What am I doing wrong?

                I got around the problem by copying the English (USA) file on my desktop G4 and placing
                it in the WordPerfect folder on my iBook. Works fine now but I really want to know why I
                cannot get it to work following the steps outlined in the WP4 Splash Screen 1.0.2 ReadMe.
                I'm running OS 10.4.3 on a current model 14 inch iBook (purchased in August 2005).

                Thanks,

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8, 2005
                  > Help! I am currently installing WP Mac on my new iBook.
                  > Have used it previously on several Macs. The installation
                  > went off without a hitch except for the splash screen.
                  > Everytime I click on the installer (WP4 Splash Screen
                  > 1.0.2) it takes me to the Script Editor

                  I don't understand how you're going to Script Editor with
                  this. The installer is an applet, i.e. an application that runs
                  when double clicked, rather than opening the editor.

                  > and if I then
                  > click run it gives me the message "<<script>> doesn't
                  > understand the <<event> AkuaAkuS>>".

                  Have you installed the Akua Sweets scripting addition (osax),
                  in the Scripting Additions folder in your [Classic] System Folder,
                  and restarted Classic?

                  > I found a similar
                  > message from J Busch in the archives. The response from J
                  > Busch says to set the script to run in OS 9 by going to
                  > Get Info and checking the run in OS 9 box. I don't see any
                  > such box on my Get Info screen associated with the splash
                  > screen installer. What am I doing wrong?

                  My Get Info screen for a newly downloaded copy of the Installer
                  shows that box as checked.