[wpmac] Re: _xx files

  • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 15 1:41 PM
      I do not have the problem, but neither are my work folders indexed,
      so indexing could somehow be involved.

      >John
      >
      >Any of your files have footnotes? It's more likely that the xx files
      >will be newer if there are footnotes and that was the last thing i
      >was working on - as if closing the footnote window somehow updates
      >the xx file, but not the proper file.
      >
      >Geoff
      >

      >>--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson"
      >><rwilson@i...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> I would rather not install an OS upgrade that is going
      >>> to interfere with one of my most frequently used programs.
      >>
      >>The problem I'm getting is cosmetic and trivial - just sweep
      >>up xx files at the end of a session. The problem Geoff's
      >>getting is non-trivial, since an xx file can contain more
      >>recent data than the named file. Burton found that changes
      >>were not being written to the named file, just to the xx file.
      >>
      >>An extension or third-party app conflict is not out of the
      >>question. I'll test for that. Any further observations would
      >>be welcome.
      >>

      >>Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>

      >YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group
      >"<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac>wordperfectmac" on
      >the web.

      /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
      Legal Director
      Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

      mailto:rwilson@...

      Ph: (515) 243 4032
      Fax: (515) 243 8506 (call first)

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 16 7:04 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
        wrote:

        > Any of your files have footnotes? It's more likely that the xx
        > files will be newer if there are footnotes and that was the last
        > thing i was working on - as if closing the footnote window
        > somehow updates the xx file, but not the proper file.

        I tried a file with footnotes, with no change. But another thing I did
        was reindex, and it improved the problem significantly, although it
        didn't fix it.

        My entire startup disk is indexed, and nothing else. I went to
        System Prefs > Spotlight > Privacy and dragged the icon of my
        startup disk into the exclusion pane. I waited five seconds, then
        deleted the icon from the pane with the minus button at the
        bottom. This deletes the index for that disk, and causes a
        reindex from scratch. I think that, especially with a new
        technology, this beats revising an existing index. Sorta like
        the OS 9 desktop database.

        I've also asked Gero whether an update to the plugin could possibly
        just exclude WP files with names including "WP_xx" from indexing.
        If, when WP updates its temp file, Spotlight sees that and grabs the
        file to index, this could be at least part of the problem.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19 3:24 PM
          I moved the WP Importer file out of /Library/Spotlight,
          reindexed, and the _xx files disappeared. I moved the
          importer back where it was, let the index update, and
          the problem resurfaced - although it took several
          saves among a few open documents before the _xx
          files returned.

          If Panther used a similar structure to notice saved
          changes and update its contents index, then indexing
          could be the reason. IAC I sent Gero an email with
          these findings. I don't know if the importer API
          supports exclusion based on file names though.

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
            I am using 10.4.11 on a G5. When saving WP files under Classic, the
            temp file (XX) is being preserved and is more up-to-date than the
            proper file. I have run mdimport -r
            /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter in Terminal, but to no
            effect.

            Any thoughts?

            Geoff
          • Daryl Chinn
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
              Geoff, In my original versions of
              WP 3.0 and 3.5 (perhaps before also), when I typed
              <Apple-S), it saved both the old file (under the file
              name) and the new file(under a numbered name). The WP
              3.5e (Rethorst) doesn't do that on my late PB G4 PPC
              Classic/10.4.11 as well as Titanium
              PB/10.4.11/Classic) and hasn't ever done that. I've
              never figured out why (I never found a Preference, for
              instance, or a way to re-set or change this) either
              version does what it does. I still have both on my
              computer and they both act as they always have (see
              above). I can't suggest a change, just offer
              commiseration and hope someone can explain or help
              change
              this. Daryl ---
              Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...>
              wrote: > I am using 10.4.11 on a
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007

                > I am using 10.4.11 on a G5. When saving WP files under Classic, the
                > temp file (XX) is being preserved and is more up-to-date than the
                > proper file.

                I've just updated to 10.4.11 on a G4. No change noticed.