Re: _xx files

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 12, 2005
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoffrey S"
      <Geoff@e...> wrote:

      > It was worse in Panther, pre-Spotlight. I don't keep my files
      > in the User Directory. John keeps his on the Desktop. maybe
      > that has something to do with it.

      It's worse for me in Tiger than in Panther (I installed the 10.4.2
      update about an hour ago, and have noticed no change in this
      issue). But here, the xx files are never more recent than the
      named files. More of them just crop up in Tiger.

      So should we sell this to Hollywood as an update to "The X Files"?

      Sorry . . .

      John R.
    • Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 13, 2005
        I just received my licensed copy of Tiger in the mail, but have not
        installed it.

        Under Panther I hae not been having problems saving files in WP. I
        have auto backup set to 2 minutes and use a Dual G-5

        Since the problem under discussion seems to exist with both Tiger and
        Panther I am guessing that the file saving problem is not a Tiger
        specific issue.

        I would rather not install an OS upgrade that is going to interfere
        with one of my most frequently used programs.

        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoffrey S"
        ><Geoff@e...> wrote:
        >
        >> It was worse in Panther, pre-Spotlight. I don't keep my files
        >> in the User Directory. John keeps his on the Desktop. maybe
        >> that has something to do with it.
        >
        >It's worse for me in Tiger than in Panther (I installed the 10.4.2
        >update about an hour ago, and have noticed no change in this
        >issue). But here, the xx files are never more recent than the
        >named files. More of them just crop up in Tiger.
        >
        >So should we sell this to Hollywood as an update to "The X Files"?
        >
        >Sorry . . .
        >
        >John R.
        >

        >YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group
        >"<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac>wordperfectmac" on
        >the web.

        /S/ Randall

        mailto:rwilson@...

        Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 15, 2005
          I get a number of xx files as I work, usually well into a
          session after the named documents have been open for
          a while.

          After excluding Spotlight's indexing for the work area
          (tried this with the desktop and also with the user
          directory), no more xx files appeared.

          Geoff's report that this was worse under Panther makes
          me wonder whether Panther's contents indexing had a
          similar auto-updating function that would produce the
          same result. But his finding that xx files can be more
          recent than the named file doesn't happen here. There
          may be two problems with similar symptoms.

          IAC I've emailed Gero to ask whether, in a future update
          to the WP Importer, files with the "WP_xx…" naming
          protocol can be excluded from indexing.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 15, 2005
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson"
            <rwilson@i...> wrote:

            > I would rather not install an OS upgrade that is going
            > to interfere with one of my most frequently used programs.

            The problem I'm getting is cosmetic and trivial - just sweep
            up xx files at the end of a session. The problem Geoff's
            getting is non-trivial, since an xx file can contain more
            recent data than the named file. Burton found that changes
            were not being written to the named file, just to the xx file.

            An extension or third-party app conflict is not out of the
            question. I'll test for that. Any further observations would
            be welcome.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 15, 2005
              John

              Any of your files have footnotes? It's more likely that the xx files
              will be newer if there are footnotes and that was the last thing i
              was working on - as if closing the footnote window somehow updates
              the xx file, but not the proper file.

              Geoff

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson"
              ><rwilson@i...> wrote:
              >
              >> I would rather not install an OS upgrade that is going
              >> to interfere with one of my most frequently used programs.
              >
              >The problem I'm getting is cosmetic and trivial - just sweep
              >up xx files at the end of a session. The problem Geoff's
              >getting is non-trivial, since an xx file can contain more
              >recent data than the named file. Burton found that changes
              >were not being written to the named file, just to the xx file.
              >
              >An extension or third-party app conflict is not out of the
              >question. I'll test for that. Any further observations would
              >be welcome.
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 15, 2005
                I do not have the problem, but neither are my work folders indexed,
                so indexing could somehow be involved.

                >John
                >
                >Any of your files have footnotes? It's more likely that the xx files
                >will be newer if there are footnotes and that was the last thing i
                >was working on - as if closing the footnote window somehow updates
                >the xx file, but not the proper file.
                >
                >Geoff
                >

                >>--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson"
                >><rwilson@i...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> I would rather not install an OS upgrade that is going
                >>> to interfere with one of my most frequently used programs.
                >>
                >>The problem I'm getting is cosmetic and trivial - just sweep
                >>up xx files at the end of a session. The problem Geoff's
                >>getting is non-trivial, since an xx file can contain more
                >>recent data than the named file. Burton found that changes
                >>were not being written to the named file, just to the xx file.
                >>
                >>An extension or third-party app conflict is not out of the
                >>question. I'll test for that. Any further observations would
                >>be welcome.
                >>

                >>Yahoo! Groups Links
                >>

                >YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > Visit your group
                >"<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac>wordperfectmac" on
                >the web.

                /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
                Legal Director
                Iowa Civil Liberties Union Foundation

                mailto:rwilson@...

                Ph: (515) 243 4032
                Fax: (515) 243 8506 (call first)

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 16, 2005
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@e...>
                  wrote:

                  > Any of your files have footnotes? It's more likely that the xx
                  > files will be newer if there are footnotes and that was the last
                  > thing i was working on - as if closing the footnote window
                  > somehow updates the xx file, but not the proper file.

                  I tried a file with footnotes, with no change. But another thing I did
                  was reindex, and it improved the problem significantly, although it
                  didn't fix it.

                  My entire startup disk is indexed, and nothing else. I went to
                  System Prefs > Spotlight > Privacy and dragged the icon of my
                  startup disk into the exclusion pane. I waited five seconds, then
                  deleted the icon from the pane with the minus button at the
                  bottom. This deletes the index for that disk, and causes a
                  reindex from scratch. I think that, especially with a new
                  technology, this beats revising an existing index. Sorta like
                  the OS 9 desktop database.

                  I've also asked Gero whether an update to the plugin could possibly
                  just exclude WP files with names including "WP_xx" from indexing.
                  If, when WP updates its temp file, Spotlight sees that and grabs the
                  file to index, this could be at least part of the problem.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 19, 2005
                    I moved the WP Importer file out of /Library/Spotlight,
                    reindexed, and the _xx files disappeared. I moved the
                    importer back where it was, let the index update, and
                    the problem resurfaced - although it took several
                    saves among a few open documents before the _xx
                    files returned.

                    If Panther used a similar structure to notice saved
                    changes and update its contents index, then indexing
                    could be the reason. IAC I sent Gero an email with
                    these findings. I don't know if the importer API
                    supports exclusion based on file names though.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
                      I am using 10.4.11 on a G5. When saving WP files under Classic, the
                      temp file (XX) is being preserved and is more up-to-date than the
                      proper file. I have run mdimport -r
                      /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter in Terminal, but to no
                      effect.

                      Any thoughts?

                      Geoff
                    • Daryl Chinn
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007
                        Geoff, In my original versions of
                        WP 3.0 and 3.5 (perhaps before also), when I typed
                        <Apple-S), it saved both the old file (under the file
                        name) and the new file(under a numbered name). The WP
                        3.5e (Rethorst) doesn't do that on my late PB G4 PPC
                        Classic/10.4.11 as well as Titanium
                        PB/10.4.11/Classic) and hasn't ever done that. I've
                        never figured out why (I never found a Preference, for
                        instance, or a way to re-set or change this) either
                        version does what it does. I still have both on my
                        computer and they both act as they always have (see
                        above). I can't suggest a change, just offer
                        commiseration and hope someone can explain or help
                        change
                        this. Daryl ---
                        Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...>
                        wrote: > I am using 10.4.11 on a
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 16, 2007

                          > I am using 10.4.11 on a G5. When saving WP files under Classic, the
                          > temp file (XX) is being preserved and is more up-to-date than the
                          > proper file.

                          I've just updated to 10.4.11 on a G4. No change noticed.