More on File Save anomaly and WP_xx files...

  • Burton Reich
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2005
      This has happened to me also, using both Mac OS X
      Jaguar 10.2.8 and currently Panther 10.3.9. When I use
      the "command-s" keys to save the current document, my
      changes are NOT saved to the current file. Instead,
      they are saved in the same directory as the current
      file but with a file name WP_xxnnnnnnnn, where each
      "n" is a number. I lost a lot of writing before I
      caught on to this.

      WORKAROUND: I now avoid this problem by manually
      saving the current document using the keys for "Save
      As" (cmd-shift-s). Each time I do this, I increment a
      number at the end of the file name; i.e., "Client
      Letter 12", then "Client Letter 13", and so on. After
      I quit from WordPerfect, I delete all versions of the
      file except for the one with the largest number. This
      is not the most convenient procedure, but I haven't
      lost any data since I've started to use it.

      SOLUTION (?): Initially, WordPerfect's "saving"
      functionality works properly. However, at some unknown
      point, the problem appears. I have inadvertently
      "fixed" the problem twice now by erasing my hard disk
      and installing a fresh version of Mac OS X, Classic,
      WordPerfect 3.5e and updates, etc.

      ------------------

      I have not been able to determine exactly what causes
      this WordPerfect "saving" problem to start. Most
      recently, it MAY have begun when I replaced Adobe's
      ATM Light v4.6.2 with ATM Light v4.5.2, or enabled
      Apple's GXGraphics extention. These and other changes
      were part of my efforts to run SoftPress' Freeway
      v2.0.3 to run under Classic; some time later I noticed
      the WordPerfect problem had reappeared.

      I will be installing Mac OS X Tiger in the next few
      weeks, either using the "Archive & Install" option or
      erasing the entire hard disk and installing everything
      again from scratch. This time, I'll try to better
      record what I do between the time WordPerfect saves
      properly and the time this anomaly reappears. I'll
      post anything I learn.

      Burt Reich
      Xenotech
      Portland, Oregon

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2005
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Burton Reich <burtreich@y...>
        wrote:

        > SOLUTION (?): Initially, WordPerfect's "saving"
        > functionality works properly. However, at some unknown
        > point, the problem appears.

        I have WP's timed backups set for 15 minutes, and am
        watching to see if the problem tends to start 15 minutes
        after I open a file.

        > I will be installing Mac OS X Tiger in the next few
        > weeks … I'll post anything I learn.

        Thanks for your good post; I'll look forward to an update.